What's Wrong With The Lattice?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by dsiOne, May 25, 2013.

1. R-A-B

Problem is, they can't add too many lanes or it defeats the purpose of moving to the lattice system in the first place.
  2. R-A-B

The game was advertised as a massive battle.
    The games god damn motto is "Size.Always.Matters"
    I got this game for large fights.
    I have fun in large fights.
    I find them no more or less predictable then small fights.

It is very clear that there are two groups of people enjoying the game. Those that want the large fights. and those that want to be away from the large fight pretending to be special forces.

The game has to cater for both somehow, simply because otherwise pandering to one will cause the other to leave and although I'd be happy for everyone that refers to themselves as "spec-ops" to uninstall the game the more players the better generally speaking.

I know that if they cancel lattice and return to the old hex system I'll most likely go. It would be too frustrating considering my deep preference to the way fights handle now as apposed to how they used too.
  3. Rift23

Lattice hasn't really added any new problems, just exacerbated the existing ones. Number advantage/bad base design have been here since release, just now it's up in everyone's face if they play on Indar.

The rest is just personal opinion and preference. To some people a massive war is one that's occurring in multiple places simultaneously, not just a couple derp-fests in predetermined funnels. Others just don't have the hardware for the big fights but like feeling a part of a larger campaign.

Final note: some of the best fights I had were escalations where we gal-dropped into the middle of nowhere to cap an outpost and the few defenders actually did the smart thing and called for reinforcements who actually showed, likewise when we were on the other side. Big fights are always possible if one stops following the yellow waypoint religiously and listening to the ego-maniacs screaming for a mass exodus to a continent where your faction has the numerical advantage.
  4. Hoek

I'm so amazed how you guys can not see the biggest problem about the current implementation of the lattice system. For some reason the outposts has become as important as the bases in this game. I don't understand why, but it definitely ruins the game at the moment. Now we are forced to capture them on our way towards the next base. The silly links has no other purpose than point us to the next outpost, which is only 500m down the road. That's ridiculous! It's pointless and it leaves no room for tactics in the game. It's like someone's holding your hand and telling you where to go next.

Make the lattice links between the bases, not outposts. The same way as they are in PS1. The outposts shouldn't play any other part in the game than being part of the landscape, which can be used by any passing empire for their advantage. They should remain neutral all the time. Also, take out the spawn rooms for people and vehicles from the outposts as well.

This way we will have proper battles in the game. There would be plenty of room for tactics. Support would play more important role, because spawns (Sunderers) and other vehicles would have to be brought from the base. Since there are many different ways to approach an enemy base (instead of just one), it gives a lot more options for squads/platoons to play.

We've seen how well it worked in PS1, so why not simply use the same system in PS2?
  5. DxAdder

As long as the lattice isn't going to run all of the continents I'm good with it. But I would suggest that if its going to stay that it be rotated and not just be the same continent all the time.
  6. dsiOne

That feel when you realize 90% of people just read the title then regurgitate the issues that are tackled in the OP.