Lattice is beyond horrible. It hurts the overall atmosphere of the game.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Vanus Aran, May 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vanus Aran

Hey folks im back and with some more rage !!! - just kidding
    You all know the lattice-system by now, if not go inform yourself. I will explain now why its the biggest threat for PS2 since the Beta.
    It is because it enables even people like the NC to win alerts on Indar. - just kidding again
    But you cant avoid to live under the impression the last alert went into their hands just because of one of the ugly darksides of the lattice system.

And that is? Yeah... we couldnt capture a point, right? BECAAAAAAUSE something that has NO CONNECTION to the other point at all, something that would never matter in the all of history was taken before. Another capturepoint.
    So... *cough*
    the hexes in question here are Ti Alloys which we couldnt cap because the timer in the new base "Allatum Botany" was going to be in the hands of the NC, the timer already running down.
    We stopped them literally in the last second - but it doesnt matter, the very fact we couldnt take Ti Alloys back then sealed this alerts fate, 30 minutes before the match actually ended.
    A few minutes later the NC made the same at Ti Alloys as well with the difference that they had 30 seconds left but it doesnt matter.
    There is no one here who believes we wouldnt have extinct them in Botany afterwards, is there? *arrogant smile*

No seriously
    just from a gameplayperspective: Why implanting a crap system that is constantly trolling people, robbing them their freedom and is FORCING them to confront people who are TOO STUPID to leave a post and defend elsewhere - so you have to go to them, to a place where they are already in position and in advantage of the overall situation?!
    To me the lattice system is to help braindead lazy fools with downsyndrom-reflexes
    who would never stand a chance against you without this crap.

Normally the hexsystem doesnt make 100% sense as well, but its ok since you can say its simple suicide to go and conquer a hex so far in the enemy territory, that you would never be able to bring the ressources back to your warpgate in the first place.
    And what you want in the game are the ressources after all, to spawn the stuff that enables you more strategical gameplay.

But the lattice system is anything but strategical. And the overall stuck feeling!!!
    There is no real interaction between hexes at all. Only between those who are connected by the dumb lattice system. This feels so limiting in itself - PS2 feels tiny and silly now, compared to before.
    Im actually beginning to appreciate Esamir even tough its like a failure in my eyes to give me a real feeling of cold and the beauty of snow and ice. (because of the boring landscape but thats another story)
    A continent that I find boring as hell is more exciting as one with the lattice system.
    For me Amerish is a god, Indar is only a Vanu but Esamir was just a blue TR, or something like that.

SOE honestly there is so much change that is taking quality from PS2 beside the good changes, sometimes im worried about the future of the game.
    Lattice - is - trash. What are you guys thinking? Do you even know how boring it is to go over Indar now (and forever in the future?), using the exact same routes as countless times before, since the ONLY locations that you are able to take, are forced upon you by a senseless system?
    And the worst thing all this players who you are fighting got the undeserved knowledge of KNOWING where you will attack next? What the hell?! Seriously! Camperside2 more and more!!!

And dont call it defending or something or enabling people to actually "meet" each other and having great battles or stuff. This is the only way I can see a positive aspect behind it. But having matches forged and forced by this totally artifical feeling crap is the worst thing that I have ever experienced in an egoshooter.

And sometimes im thinking you guys want to keep a balance.
    There must never too much good stuff without complete HORROR brought upon the players!
    The landscape update was top. The new bases are great. Not to mention all the cosmetic stuff.

And then you implant this dreadful system in the game that is totally going in the other direction of your slogan.
    Seize always matters. No - its not - cause you cant fully access it. You are forced into boring routines that are already boring me soo much that I notice my concentration in the game failing me!
    IM SO BORED MY MIND IS GOING SOMEWHERE ELSE. :eek:

To know that I have no choice where to go, expect if I go to a totally other direction of the continent, having to watch the timers slooooooooooowly filling up, is a new kind of sensation for me. A new kind of torture.
    I want to see the "new" hexes if possible but they are so bad accessable without abandoning battles, its unspeakable.

There may be people who like it cause they cant think for themself but its crap for everyone enjoying true freedom in a game. A game with too many unnecessary limitations is a dying game.
    Im thinking the only reason why people still play WoW is not because its good but because of the new PvE-content with every Addon and the fact that there is no rivaling MMO out there in the fantasy-genre, but most of all because they grow accustomed to it.
    People are sluggish when it comes to trying something new. WoW was the first big MMO with lots of backgroundstory from other games and was a revolution in its time.

Like PS2 is now. If the speed in which "rivaling entities" rise up stays the same as back then, you can be sure that PS2 will be unrivaled for the next 5 years, without worry.
    Dont know what will be out then but to come to the point: I hope that no such unnecessary limiting stuff will seal the fate of the game then and lattice will be nothing but a horrorstory from the past, to frighten new PS2 players with.
    " If you die after not fighting properly for your empire,
    the devine will throw your soul in the lattice-world. "
  2. Rockstone

Nice try. Are you done being Major's and The Loverator's meatpuppet? (actually, you write like Loverator, are you sure you're not his sockpuppet?)
  3. Being@RT

The tone was such that I skipped reading, and I'm against the lattice.

Please, for both our sake, stop posting this sort of thing.
  4. Vanus Aran

Hey Troll, look what I got here. *throws him a cookie*
    Off he goes.
    • Up x 1
  5. Hwk

Lattice is the best thing to happen to this game. It promotes big battles, which PS2 is all about.
    • Up x 1
  6. Boomotang

The only "strategy" I have experienced less of is hunting down groups of 1-5 people taking territory. It's still happened, just not nearly as much. And hunting them down is easier because they can't capture territory in circles.

I've still experienced being cut off. A TR push down to The Old Stockpile was cut off when the Vanu took The Pallisade.

I have still been flanked on a strategic level. While defending a push into CoraMed Labs, the Vanu have split off taking Saurva Bio Lab threatening our Northern Flank. I've flanked the enemy strategically as well. Taking Hvar Tech Plant from it's Northgate Garrison has been helped by another force coming in through the Southgagte Garrison lane.

I've experienced more variety in the form of battles in between bases. I've had more "good" fights in open land in the past few days than the past couple months. Fights that last an hour or more. Where hills are fought over. A Sunderer is set up on a flank, only to be destroyed by the enemy's counter, so we're forced to to try a different flank.

Just yesterday TR was stuck on the pass from Quartz Ridge to Hvar Northgate Garrison. It is a nasty chokepoint which can be used by the defenders if taken advantage of. A squad broke that stalemate by transporting a Sunderer from Allatum Research Lab to the Eastern entrance of Hvar Northgate. We were able to take positions in the towers and take the territory because the main Vanu force was concentrated stopping the advance through the mountain pass.

These aren't just theories. They're all situations which I have actually been a part of. There are no "what ifs" here.

These are great strategic and tactical moves "created by the players" inside of this lattice system, which really isn't that much different from the hex. It just has less connections, which makes certain strategies actually VIABLE. Before it wasn't viable to "push" your army anywhere because the enemy could "maneuver" around to undo what you had taken way too easily. You still have to manage your forces across your front lines. You just only have to split them into individual platoons instead of squads to do it.

All the lattice does is add "walls", "doors", and "windows" to the hex system. That makes it more interesting, not less. Would you rather fight for spaces in an open warehouse, or one that has walls, doors, and windows? One of people's valid complaints in PS2 is some cap point rooms that are indefensible because they have too many entries. The hex had the same problem.

Now bases like Quartz Ridge and Broken Arch Road are like buffers or "hallways". If the enemy wants to take Indar Excavation Site from the South, or Crossroads Watchtower for the East, they have to get through these buffer zones/defendable points/"hallways". Except they're better or more interesting than a hallway in a building because the whole world is still open and you can still tactically flank these positions.

Tanks blocking the way through Broken Arch Road? Galaxy drop some HAs, AV MAXes, Medics, and Engineers up on the ridges to the East and West, and rain down hell on that defensive armour column.
    Once they've taken Indar Excavation or Crossroads Watchtower the attackers have two options giving them the advantage because they decide where the fight goes to next, whether to split up forces or push hard on one option over the other. The strategic and tactical options are even greater than before. Use them!
  7. Vanus Aran

MORE VARIETY? ZERG ZERG ZEEEEEEEEEEERG is all I see now!
    But thats rich comming from a TR - who got the most population on Miller in general.

Soooooo in particullar you are complaining that SOE's Servers arent stabil enough to support countless numbers of players in all hexes at once, so an unnatural and artifical force, that finds no logical and rational reason to even exist, has to squeeze the available numbers in small hexes to enable them to "fight" over an environment?
    This appears similar to me as the concept of bought sex.
    It sure is nice to experience it but somehow it feels like there is no love or passion involved.
    Something that is holy was once more defiled by the minds of man and fabricated into "a service".

How can you enjoy it knowing that? A game in a game - thats totally new to me.

You know you have to FIND me and kill me YOURSELF if you want me to stop taking your empires hexes.
    But oh isnt it great SOE is helping you? Omg this is the worst content I have ever seen in a shooter.
    And to know that there are people who rather choose it over "realistic and free battles" ingame, is suffocating.

Congratulations. People like you kill innovation.
  8. DreamlessLiberty

Try this if you are on indar. On your map filters check: terrain, facility connections, allies, squad/platoon, enemy activity, ally activity. Uncheck everything else. This is your chess board. Everything is very clear with this setting. And lattice seems to be popular because right now there is a queue to get on indar :(. 55 minutes!
  9. Hwk

The game was ZERG ZERG before the lattice. The lattice forces the ZERG to fight each other in big epic battles. If you don't like big battles with a lot of people fighting, then PS2 is not the game for you.
  10. DG-MOD-02

I am going to close this down now. Please add your constructive feedback to one of the already existing threads
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.