State of the MAX new abilities

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Saulty, May 26, 2013.

1. Saulty

TR lockdown needs a bit of a buff.

My suggestion is to keep the set up time the same... but make it so that the "takedown" time is negligible. This would allow the ability to be used without being fully "commited"

ZOE is INSANE. the movement speed buff on this skill needs to be tuned down. Playing my VS I have no need to pull anything other then a MAX....

I like the NC shield a lot. Good job on this one SOE
    • Up x 1
  2. Dreadnaught Wrex

Meh, lockdown is fine. Leave it as it is.
  3. StalkerGER

exept that the eagis shield isnt fixed jet
    ur still getting dmg from the front trough the shield (normal bullets) sometimes even rockets going trough WTF why have i spend then certs on this and hey i still have a deadzone in front of me but who cares the TR and VS never goingt to see the deadzone because they dont have to go near 5m and the % buff on dmg /fire rate against vehicle and air untis, i cant cover my tank with my shield or fly behind a reaver but u guys can help ur tanks air units with firepower just balance the **** and fine
  4. MasterChaif

From what I hear the aegis doesn't cover the legs, allowing people to damage you if they are accurate enough. Same applies to explosive damage, crouching remedies this though
  5. Terrahero

Actually its not fine at all. Several people have tested the 35-50% boost independantly, and the conclusions seem to be that no weapon really offers the 50% boost. Infact a bunch of weapons are even performing, well, below the "minimum" of 35%. With most weapons simply performing at the bare minimum 35%.

At the very least its bugged since in several cases it doesnt even offer the 35% boost. But when hardly anything (i think only one weapons reload got the 50% boost, just the reload) even gets the 50% boost its a misleading skill to say the least. There is quite a big gap between 35% and 50%.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/estimated-lockdown-buffs.128889/
    • Up x 1
  6. Xasapis

I agree that the aegis shield needs some love. How would one improve it though?
  7. Vreki

Better coverage, making it harder to flank and allowing you to protect team-mates better.
    Also consider making it solid so enemies cant just rush through it, and allow friendlies behind to shoot through.
  8. Dragonblood

yeah, lockdown is fine I get a 30% increase RoF buff and the enemy a constant headshot multiplier......awesome!
  9. Wildclaw

Lockdown is a fail ability. MAXes are meant for breaching, not to be artillery units. It neither has the durability vs vehicles, nor the splash damage or range vs infantry (and don't get me started on how bad it is with infantry weapons due to CoF bloom). Players told this multiple times to SOE, but as their usual arrogant selfs they didn't listen. And now we are stuck with an ability that is overpowered vs air and useless everywhere else. I would much rather have a game without it in it.

The NC shield is fairly fine. It needs a fix on what it covers, but once that is fixed It has good synergy with the NC bursty shotguns and highlights how a good ability should be designed.

THE VS ability is just pure crack. Another sign of SOE incompetence. It is an ability that removes the biggest weakness that a MAX has without even having a cooldown on it.

SOE has a horrible track record with MAXes. I am actually seriously questioning if their person in charge of MAX design and balancing has ever actually played a MAX. The Pounders is the strongest evidence for this due to how thoroughly that it got nerfed to the ground from already being a fairly bad weapon. I think it is fairly safe to say that not a single person at SOE ever playtested the Pounders. And most of the other changes including the empire specific abilities feels very much similar. There is simply no real work or thoughts put into MAXes.
    • Up x 1
  10. Terrahero

I think i would like LD better if it boosted accuracy and reduced recoil. Especially a drastic reduction of recoil on AI weapons would be great, so these can actually be used. A long-range AI dual-machine gun sounds pretty good. However, the effective range of these weapons is not a range i would comfortably get into Lock Down.

Obviously i don't want to LD right next to an enemies MBT, i want some distance. But when i take this distance, something like the Fracture, is very difficult to control due to recoil. And i find myself delaying shots anyway, defeating the purpose of a firerate boost.

If i want to get close to enemy armor, i won't use lock down. I'll die, the 6seconds i waste locking and unlocking is better spend firing without boosts. Its safer, and i'll likely do more damage in the same timeframe.