For those who can't wrap their head around the big view of the lattice system

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheJosephChrist, May 24, 2013.

1. TheJosephChrist

I give you the world map from Planetside 1.

[IMG]
    • Up x 9
  2. THUGGERNAUT

it's gonna be awhile before PS2 gets there. if it doesn't wreck horribly like a train slamming into a brick factory first.
    • Up x 3
  3. PhantomOfKrankor

Great, but what does it have to do with PS2?

Are we supposed to wait and keep playing and paying with the hopes that a total redesign that only started in the last few months catches up with the Lattice to complete 'the big view' in this game?

Or was it just a nostalgic quick fix for PS1 vets complaining on the forums.

I'm going with the latter.
    • Up x 2
  4. Hoki

5. Sebastien

Rome wasn't built in a day
    • Up x 3
  6. PhantomOfKrankor

*Insert reference to Rome being burned in a day*

Too bad Hex wasn't given the opportunity to mature and be improved upon that you are now willing to give Lattice.
    • Up x 5
  7. UberBonisseur

Good thing Rome 2 was smart enough to learn from the years of trial and error of its predecessor and head straight for an improved version of the former.
    • Up x 2
  8. Sebastien

No matter how much you polish a turd, it's still a turd.
    • Up x 3
  9. Cab00se187

But with some febreeze you can make it smell good
    • Up x 1
  10. PhantomOfKrankor

Many people feel the same way about Lattice and are told to just wait and see how awesome it's going to be when all these new conts and mechanics are put in place, like the OP in this thread.
    • Up x 3
  11. Nocturnal7x

Ok, and I love the lattice but the dissenters are gonna say "this could be done with hexes". And it could.

This is not particularly helpful to our cause.
  12. applepienation

But febreeze only covers the stench, not removes it, as their marketing likes to claim.

Liars!

Just of the record, I like lattice.
    • Up x 2
  13. EvilPhd

So come back in 5 years?
  14. Naehloseht

A million times this. All because their instant gratification was taken away as soon as someone challenged them to defend something.
    • Up x 1
  15. jessewhat

So this is metagame
  16. Rockstone

YES, this is what the metagame will eventually be. Assuming we get sanctuaries...
  17. Metalton

No.. No it's not. It's a train schematic telling you exactly where you can go, and when you can go there, and the -only- routes allowed to get there. It tells you where the enemy is, which are the only routes they are allowed to take, and exactly where and when you are allowed to fight them if you choose to. It is nothing more. It is the antithesis of metagame.

-Met

Edit: Well unless you consider 'Chutes and Ladders' a "metagame".. heh
    • Up x 4
  18. Landtank

Are you so foolish that you are incapable of seeing the strategy required to be effective in the lattice system?

It doesn't tell you where to go, it tells you where to defend.

It allows you to set up ambushes, mines, REAL defenses.

How can people not wrap their heads around this fact? With the hex it was three large groups of players wandering around backcapping and occasionally colliding. Now it's a WAR. Something that has been advertised for months.

Oh no! I actually have to fight the enemy now! ****
    • Up x 2
  19. Metalton

I played PS1 a long time.. Not quite since the beginning.. I was playing EQ at the time, Ultima Online before that.. I am well versed with the lattice.. umm.. "strategy" or lack thereof. I'll not be cajoled into thinking a dated knee-jerk fix to an old games declining population is PS2's brand, sparkling, new God we should all bend knee and pay homage too.

The Lattice is -not- new..it is not innovative, it is not refreshing, it was not, and is not, a source of compelling strategy.. It -is- multiple choice, you will always and forever attack A from B, you will always and forever not be allowed to attack C until you have B, you mines will always be placed at D. Ambushes will always be staged at E. 2/3 of the map will be meaningless as it is not in the path of progression from a A to B to C to D to E. All your options are predefined and predictable, there is no thinking, there is no strategy, only zergfest and COD slugfest.

Oh.. unless true strategy is just deciding which Outfit will attack B, which Outfit will do some prep-work clearing enemies out of C for when the B hack goes through and which small outfit will be stuck with laying the mines at D and waiting at E for the few enemies who might pass without a better means of spawning at C. Then pop on the boards and let the noobs know that if they're not in an outfit, better get some friends to be able to really play Planetside *cough* 2.

Claiming otherwise is a lie. It's all been done before in PS1, and that's exactly how it worked. Clearly this is what you truly want.
    • Up x 5
  20. Eaderout

It tell you where to defend, it sure dose and how boring is that? I would like to see you and myself to be scared poopless because I DONT KNOW where the enemy is coming from. This system does not allow that. Also its too bad real war is not like this, it would make things so easy.