SHIELD IN LEFT HAND - WE HAVE ONE MAX ARM FREE ? HOW ABOUT ABILITY TO SHOT WITH THIS ONE ARM, VERY S

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by PS2Freak, May 24, 2013.

1. DashRendar

I don't want no circus tricks like being able to fire one arm from behind the shield. What I do want is if I am choosing to act tactically by forfeiting offensive ability, is for the shield to act like a damn shield. Limited health pool seems like something that would be necessary if the shield were a full body overshield that otherwise gave omnidirectional invincibility until its HP ran out. A directional shield in a game with beaucoup explosives and hundreds of players running around all directions constantly and leaves you unable to fire, I'm sorry, shouldn't be tied to a health pool. Especially when you move at a crawls pace with it up. Maybe add a 100% resist to small arms fire? Explosives only will drop it?

Further, sometimes I'll be aiming shield at someone firing full auto, and I'll be taking damage the entire time. Is this a bug? Working as intended? Does the shield sometimes act as a damage resist instead? Also, when people say the shields best usage is to protect your teammates...? It doesn't even do a good job of protecting me? It needs a larger hitbox that makes the max and anyone standing directly behind the max unable to be hit through it for this to be viable for team support. That aspect is not working right now. Right now It's only a shield against people who haven't learned yet how to counter it, once everyone learns the tricks, anyone who pulls an Aegis out will just be laughed at unless changes are made to alter its effectiveness. Oh and a single dual Fracture Max can drop a full health shield in under a clip. This needs to either nerf the Fracture, or add a Fracture resist for the Aegis, because currently the Aegis is useless in a Biolab for many reasons.
    • Up x 2
  2. Macchus

NO ... you guys already have shotgun arms . plus shield . NO just NO!!!
    pop shiled get close blast in face with scatmax.. WIN

and who is this "we"?

it sounds like you want a damage buff .
  3. PS2Freak

thank you dashrender for arguments to those "grammar fascists" who reply just in egoistic or other disrespectful manner

i am just to emotional now - just have no words for it all, i just see this shield is really bad idea. it give us nothing of substance in same time vanu and tr get their, in my eyes, big benefits of how useful their abilities are. i dont want precisely that what stays in subj, but i want Meaningful Shield. what we have now is really ... make want to puke.

very little use at all. i see it in fight. it also dont cover the people behind shield and so on.
  4. PS2Freak

"Vanu and Tr got Damage buff and we not ."

I spoke about Factions, They and We.

didnt i said - me want this, it is clear, at least to me, i speak _my opinion_ on this

dont play "cultural or grammar fascist" please
    • Up x 1
  5. axiom537

I like this Idea....

TR and VS just got a very nice buff to their AA/AT & AI Abilities, while the NC max got a shield (that is very situational). I really do not see allowing the off hand to fire it's weapon as OP.
  6. Macchus

hey, whats not clear ?
    not even dash is hating it as much as you the shield probably needs a rework but maxes dont need to be able to fire from behind it . you want something added that he doesnt . your just looking for anything even remotley related to what you want to feel justified .

you couldnt fire weapons in ps1 NC max shield and other games ive played featuring shields you could nt use other weapons either .

i wouldnt mind seeing a rework that added a melee attak to the shield , and maybe a little faster move speed . but definety not a invulnerable death machine ...
  7. Macchus

lol i noticed that you said me , i thought it was a mistype and you said we in the previous sentence . im sorry you have atrcocius grammar but good spelling .

also you got a survivability buff . you already are heavily damaging . now you have a shield you can use to get closer to enemy maxes and troops which was a problem that NC maxes had with all the short range options they have ..
  8. PS2Freak

like i already wrote - i dont want precisely that what stays in subj, but i want Meaningful Shield.

shield with which i dont feel shafted to use it. i just think in state of now, shield need to give smtg more then what its giving right now.

it is, imo, just not enough. as you said - rework needed. and i agree with that.. what i dont want that it stays like this...

As i was in Tr and Vanu VR testing latest changes, you know what i read there in chat window ?

- they laugh about that shield, some say nc got shafted. often it is

"schadenfreude".
  9. Macchus

well for onething when looking at NC maxes from any perspective other than the first person view, you can see that the shield wouldnt really allow fire through it as it covers all visible parts at least from the front . so i guess you could fire thru the tiny eyehole ? or just fire right through the shield ? or Stretch your heavy fat max arm around the shield ? i dont think its gonna happen . a rework to heighten survivabilty maybe and an increase in move speed to allow you to close distance more often , and get kills .

ZOE is gonna get nerfed anyway, and you take higher damage while its active . and lockdown makes it so i cant run away quickly or easily . so just deal with it for now and im sure it will get a rework soon to be a little bit better . NC maxes dont need a buff to thier killing ability they need a buff in thier ability to close range .
  10. Twistdlester

lol , I love that people still think that their is balance in this game. Its a total crap shoot when new abilities/weapons come out . It goes round and round ....sometimes the NC get a totally OP item , sometimes the TR get one , hey have you seen the re -re -re done Saron yet ? I have to say that the shield is the crappiest new max ability ( pro tip aim for the feet of the NC max when the shield is out, does full damage ) but there is little that forum whining is goning to do, if they had intelligent people in charge of balancing we wouldnt have the entertainment value of these posts and I'd miss them
  11. Vixxing

Paladins in WOW should been able to use Hammer of justice when bubbled too... (THEY WHERE NEVER OP!!!)
  12. Vixxing

....sometimes the NC get a totally OP item , sometimes the TR get one (freudian slip) Yeah now its VS turn imo...
  13. Edmon

Ok, I tried being polite. I tried to explain. I guess you are just stupid so I will put it in words you understand.

THE INSTANT YOU PRESS SHIELD, YOU ARE PROTECTED. THE ANIMATION DOES NOT HAVE TO COMPLETE.

If you have a SPLIT SECOND where you see a ROCKET OR TANKSHELL coming for you directly, tap the SHIELD BUTTON.

Where you WOULD HAVE DIED, now you LIVE with FULL HEALTH.

If you cannot see just how powerful this is for a max, you are a tool.
    • Up x 1
  14. axiom537

ZOE - doesn't bother me, yes they get an offensive buff, but the reduced armor makes them a paper tiger, which is as it should be. and if they tweak it at all then maybe slow it down a bit or make it lose a touch more armor, and I think Vanu as an empire needed a little something to give them a bit more punch.

The TR Lock-down on the other hand, is way over the top, particularly when it is in Anti-Air role with duel bursters. It's lose of mobility is trivial and can easily be compensated for by backing up against walls, building or rocks or simply standing above a stairway with engineers behind providing repairs and enemies from flanking it.

The NC Max is very good at close combat, but that is it. Have you ever seen an AI NC Scat Max anywhere other then in a Bio-lab or in a building where it can guard a door way, nope. TR and VS maxes are out on the battlefield all the time and not just as Bursters, because they are capable of engaging targets beyond 15m. Do not get me wrong I like the shield, I think it will be very useful, but compared to the buffs both the VS and especially the TR got to their maxes I think the NC need a little something more....

I have a better idea, instead of letting the NC use the shield and fire one arm at the same time...

LET THE NC USE THEIR SHIELD ON THE BACK OF AN ENFORCER!!!
  15. Badname2490

So basically the overpowered one shot MAX with a shield ...wants the ability to be protected while they one shot...LOL ok.

Deal w/ it.

The Shield is fine if not the funniest.
    ZOE is...yeah...I fear disco glowing MAX suits.
    Lockdown is bland.
  16. Phrygen

Its a good idea, that would clearly be OP. The devs thought of it already im sure and decided not to do it.
  17. void666

We have spikes straped to our ankles. Why can't we use it to kick people? Or even better use to anchor over dead bodies.
    I want to use dead NC as shoes. SoE take my money and doo eet!
  18. EliteEskimo

Don't ask, you'll get a Tumor if you analyze it further :rolleyes:
  19. MrGurrenLemfox

it is not gonna help any problem with the shield right now.....
  20. Kenny007

Agreed.

I was actually surprised when I found out you couldn't fire from behind the shield. It is only occupying one arm after all and shields in other FPS titles often let the user fire from behind them. That said, I understand why some would jump to 'OP!' with that addition, and that may or may not actually be the case. With it still only covering frontal damage, leaving you exposed to the flanks, rear, and any explosive splash, I don't think it would be as OP as one might first conclude, especially if the shield still has its 'vulnerable to everything' HP pool. I don't say that with any conviction though; it would need to be tested. Maybe pair the shield with some sort of alternative armament instead, similar to a heavy pistol, I don't know.

That said, if everything is going to stay status quo with this shield, then I see no reason for it to have a health pool. If the MAX is nearly invulnerable (when working as intended (I assume?)) from one direction only and has 0 offensive capabilities while it is up, why limit it? I did like the compromise of the 'explosives only' damage pool though and that might be a decent middle ground; there certainly are enough explosives in the air at any one time.

While people continue to argue whether ZOE or Lockdown is the best/worst of the two, it seems nearly universally agreed upon that the shield is laughable. There must be something that can be done to make it forum argument worthy!