Max buff mode for 2/3 factions.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SolidSnake, May 24, 2013.

1. SolidSnake

I think the main problem with the Max buff is that TR and VS both got a new mode that improves any weapons you choose to equip on your Max, while the NC got basically an item not a mode. I know the Aegis shield is an ability but I see it more as an item, that does nothing for the weapons we have equipped, in fact it prevents you from using them.

TR's lockdown allows you to fire and reload faster, and increases projectile speed. This makes weapons like the Air Bursters a hell of a lot more effective than anything the NC or VS have access too. Fractures + lockdown is another great combination.

VS's ZOE increases damage and movement speed at an armor cost. While it doesn't impact Air Bursters as much it's still an improvement doing more damage per hit. Dual Comets work really well with ZOE mode, too well imo. I think the ZOE would be fine with either damage + armor decrease or movement speed + armor decrease, not both.

Which brings me to the Aegis Shield. This item/ability doesn't improve any of our current weapons. It really doesn't add anything but a blue glowing target for enemies to aim to. Is it supposed to allow us to survive longer? if that's the case why does it slow us down to a crawl when equipped? why does it not block splash damage? all it takes is one LA with C4 to fly over or a couple of tank shots landing next to us and it negates all that survivability.

At least with the other faction modes you get the benefits of using your new modes before you die to enemy fire, while our "ability" actually makes it easier for the enemy to target and kill us while only providing a few seconds of extra life. Seconds that don't do you any good since it's slowing you down while you move. Choose where you deploy your lockdown deactivate it if you start to take fire and move to safety. Run to safety when taking damage with ZOE on (or simply turn it off.) While the NC turn into a glowing blue turtle moving really slowly giving you all the time you need to shoot rockets at it, and not being able to do anything while it's equipped.

In its current state we're gimping ourselves by using this shield and getting very little, if anything, in return. You want NC to have more survivability then let us actually do something when the shield is equipped, let us fire our left arm's weapon, let us swing the shield and do melee damage with it, let us move at normal speed with the shield equipped. We get no added benefit to any of our weapons and we actually lose mobility for an extra layer of HP.
    • Up x 5
  2. Bbihah

I'd take the aegis shield over ZOE. make the switch, SoE.
  3. siiix

i take the shield anytime over the lockdown
  4. SolidSnake

Really? hell yeah let's do it. Come on Higby you heard the man, make it happen.
  5. RomulusX

a buff to defense while reloading? Yes please.
  6. Zombo

you really think something that lets you stay in front of a tank shelling you and not dieing is useless?
    get some ideas to do something with this thing, its not THAT hard

1)300 style frontline, the ones being fired at lift the shield, the others shoot
    2)extreme dominance in close quarters when protecting a capture point or similar, (also known as area denial)
    3)setting up traps with Sshield MAXs waiting for people to run into them, having the upper hand against any shotgun users
    4)being able to survive a lolpodder, with flak MAX armor even the splash wont harm you that hard anymore, and direct hits can be blocked with the shield
  7. DonC

You truly haven't the slightest of clues to anything do you? rofl.
  8. fuzzbuket

its not meant to be a HA shield, it is for providing cover for allies, its for getting past a line of tanks to a firing position, its for getting into that point in the bio-lab. it is NOT for running forward across a field to make you invinsible to scatmax everything, it is NOT so you can activate it in the middle of a field and become invincible and it is most certainly NOT for turning your scatmax into a easy mode, so you can hunker down and wait for a engy.

a lot of NC have been using it well in fights, and against tanks, either using it as cover during a reload or as a way to move between buildings.
    • Up x 2
  9. axiom537

I call BS!!!

Then maybe we can change both the lock-down and the ZOE to be completely defensive. The TR can lock down and increase the damage they can take by 50% and the ZOE can increase the VS max speed by 15% and allow it to take 15% more damage.
  10. Zombo

The "cover while reloading" is especially usefull for NC, since they can run out of ammo really quick

SOE still needs to work on the hit detection with the shield though, saw a video where a MAX shield was directly penetrated by flight rotarys, no idea though if the ESF might have hit a bodypart not covered

maybe the aegis could use a little more size
  11. fuzzbuket

a speed increase.

no

read my previous post. it is NOT for using like a HA sheild.
  12. SolidSnake

Funny you should mention that, I did this exact same thing yesterday. Was firing my AV weapons at a tank, put my shield up when reloading, two hits from the tank I was dead. There was some HA shooting his LMG at me but still, I could see my HP going down with each shell hit. All it did was buy me a couple more seconds of life. Could I retreat back to safety? not at the speed you move with the shield up.

1) you can't shoot over or through the shield so there goes your 300 re-enactment. Oh did I mention that splash damage still hits you? now it will also hit the person standing behind you, hey! two birds with one shell? Oh and do you remember what happened when someone lobbed a grenade into the middle of the Spartan phalanx? yeah...

2) First off, Maxes don't affect capture points. Second, would I not more effectively "area denial" if I could shoot the attackers trying to take the point? What you suggest is I stand there taking fire, allowing the enemy to position themselves to plant C4 or use grenades on me.

3) Not sure exactly what you mean by this, setting a trap means something would have to happen to the enemy when they get into said trap. Problem is you can't do anything with the shield up. Unless you are expecting enemies to be attracted to it like moths to a flame lol.

4) I have actually tried this as well and while it did work I lost more than 3/4 of my HP and I have maxed out Flak armor equipped. Flak armor is supposed to reduce up to 50% damage from explosions and yet if the ESF did another pass I'd be dead. Now if I could fire even one of my Air Bursters with the shield up...

Look, I get what you're saying try to find a creative use for the shield. I ask you why? why do I need to create some elaborate situation in which to use a shield? Do TR lockdown Maxes have to? nope, just choose the direction you want to shoot at, anchor up, blast away at super fast firing rate. Do ZOE Maxes need to dance to avoid being lolpodded? nope, you can two-shot ESFs with their Comets, no need for fancy strafing or leading the target too much since the Comet already has a fast projectile speed. Even the most famous shield user, Captain America, gets to use his shield as a weapon not just a shell to hide under.
    • Up x 1
  13. MrGurrenLemfox

a smart infantry will run through them and use C4, a smart tanker and lol podder , will hit them with splash damage to kill them
    • Up x 1
  14. fuzzbuket

make the shield cover the NC maxes feet (or crouch when using it) and give it a slightly larger radii. do not give yourself a speed boost (which would make charge WORTHLESS), and do not ask for the sheild to get a larger defence boost.
  15. GSZenith

once you learn how to block dalton shots/lolpods. random lancer etc* you will come to love it, i rather have it on all my char than ZoE and lockdown, lockdown is a deathtrap vs good players, grant aren't that many. ZoE pump to the head, lol he died fast.

*save friendly tank from getting killed by jumping behind and aegis him. awesome moment, followed by less awesome moment of random dead husk maggy coming flying from gods know where.
  16. The guy

What's your hourly wage?

LMAO.
  17. Outreach

Oh how I'm so happy I lived to see the day NC are complaining about max's. If there was a faction that should never open their mouths about anything it would be NC and max's.
  18. WUNDER8AR

**** damage resistance, I want MOAR firepower for my 6 shotguns of doom! yep, NC logic.

I have only tested the shield in the VR, and it felt pretty insane tbh, especially in combination with your weapons. you can swap to the shield and back in no time +reload while the shield is up. I have yet to use the shield in combat though. However, the moment it prevents only one bullet from hitting you and thus increases your ttk only the slightest it actually already becomes useful, doesn't it? particularly in case of a MAX which is already a pretty beefy unit. I'm 100% certain that the Aegis shield is actually capable of absorbing damage outside the VR and thus increasing your ttk. that one or two clips that it absorbs (dunno about the actual damage resistance) is still better than absorbing the damage with your HP bar. Now I obviously can't judge whether it is broken or not. If it actually is, it needs fixing ofc.
  19. Nerkun

Hmmm, I only play as VS, and before these abilities were added, is there anyone here who believes the VS MAX was as strong against infantry as the TR or NC MAX units? Both the TR and NC have fast(er) killing anti-infantry weapons, so no, if there wasn't a balance in the attack powers, there shouldn't be a balance in the abilities either.

With that said, the TR ability is a nightmare for pilots I hear. If four TR MAX units anchor with their backs to each other in a good indoors position where they can't be approached by an LA, and engineers are constantly repairing them, they become a nasty force to deal with.

The NC ability, as I said, I play as a VS, but I wish you guys receive some more love from SOE. It's in my interest that the two other factions have fun, because...Planetside 2 sucks when there aren't enemies around. :p

I don't know the specifics, but from what I've read the shield does in these comments, I wish that they made the shield completely indestructible from ANY type of damage that comes from a direction facing the shield. It should also cover the whole MAX body, and should not slow down movement. It's abuse would be prevented by a timer during which the shield can be upheld.

Would anyone from NC accept this?
  20. Aleios1

And why is this? Did you just follow along with every other moron that ******* about NC? We are talking about the effectiveness of the new shield here not about hacksaws being supposedly OP (don't run into my f-ing hacksaws and no problem nub).

Tell me morons in this thread. Do you really expect that there will be loads of people gathering up maxes and putting their certs into the aegis shield to lead these hollywood defenses that you propose? Are you goddamn serious? Today we had a few maxes trying to protect medics and the enemies shots just roflstomped the medics anyway. Needs tweaking...