NC Medic deciding between Carnage and GR-22

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by Kasai, May 17, 2013.

1. Kasai

Basically what the title says. Decided to dump some certs into medic after playing HA a good bit and I'm trying to decide between one of these two guns as a short range option. I'm digging the default gun for the longer range fighting but I'm looking for something more appropriate for CQC. That being said, being able to use the gun at a mediumish range would also be nice.

It would also be really helpful if you recommended attachments. I've noticed that they both have adv. laser and
    adv. foregrip, what do people generally run with?
  2. EViLMinD

I'm BR 92 and I use all the CM guns. So, trust me when I tell you that the GR22 is a must have. Get adv laser, SPA and a 1x (or NV or iron-sights if you prefer).

With the last update, several guns got a major boost. The Carnage was one of them (Gauss Rifle S, as well).

The Carnage is much like the GR22. They both spit bullets fast, like a TR gun, and use adv lasers. The difference is the Carnage has a slightly slower ROF, offers no SPA but does allow adv grip and compensator. This makes it a great weapon for ADS.

Also, the Carnage is more expensive.

So...

Use the GR22 as a run and spray gun. Ideal for any smart medic because standing still is risky.

Use the Carnage as a defensive, suppression gun. I use mine during lab defenses where I need to unload full mags into key choke points. I rack up kills this way. I use a compensator, adv grip and a 1x or 3.4 scope.
  3. Kasai

So from the sounds of it they're both pretty decent close range guns but for slightly different situations? After testing them in the VR for a good while I did like the way the GR22 had really manageable recoil where the carnage had a bit of left/right wiggle (though nothing too bad). I'll probably pick up the GR since it's so cheap and then grab the carnage later or if it goes on SC sale at some point.
  4. WalrusJones

The Carnage can be both a long, and close range weapon due to it having EVERY advanced attachment in the game, being able to go AFG and compete with the TR's T1 Cycler while having better CQC accuracy, or use an ASL and get a marginally slower firing CQC rifle.

The Carnage will serve you in a greater variety of roles, the GR-22 will kill 5% of a second faster.
  5. MrIDoK

Given that the Gauss Rifle is an already formidable ADS gun for all non-cqc situations, i'd go for the GR-22 which is the best cqc choice among the two, 50 rpm + spa is a noticeable difference when going face to face with TR rifles.
  6. Kasai

That's exactly what I ended up doing. I really like the Gauss Rifle for medium/longish range combat. It's really similar to the SAW which I've used ~75% of the way to Auraxium. The GR-22 with the adv. laser and SPA has so far proven to be a nasty CQC weapon to complement the excellent damage projection of the Gauss.
  7. TeknoBug

Between the two I ended up with the GR-22, the Carnage had an annoying recoil pull to one sde.
  8. Batisat

I run the GR22 with a foregrip and soft point. If you can control the recoil, you'll be able to reach out to the longer mid range. I never bought the adv laser though, I'd prefer the foregrip for that extra range
  9. Companion2

I have a GR-22 with a suppressor, fore-grip, and a 2x reflex sight, great for close range but kinda crappy in anything else
  10. Knarfis

I really like my Carnage, but I have not really used it much since purchasing it as it is more of a close range weapon and my Gauss S fits most roles I am in. Plus it seems hard to play my medic now a days with all the vehicle spam as of late.

Knarfis
  11. Vanon

Having both the majority of medic weapons, i would highly suggest the NS-11A with foregrip, compensator, high velocity round, with a 2x or a 3.4x scope. It's billed as a long range weapon, however it act's more like a TR gun. it has less recoil then the GR-22, and about the same hipfire. I would defently test it out as it's one of those guns that you wouldn't think would fill that role so well. Try it in the VR testing area and get a feel for it, It out preforms the 22 IMHO and has completely replaced the all my combat medic guns except for a shotty.

If you really want to be CQB only, i would suggest just grabing the blitz. Most classes can use it, and it still can kill at medium range.
  12. kennonfodder

You made your decision already, but more opinions are better than just a few right ;) ?

Planetside 2 is nowadays a shotgun and SMG paradise, these are the best guns for close combat. NCs Assault Rifles simply cant compete with these (and I max-certed every damn NC AR).

The Carnage needs at least an additional 300 certs to function. Compensator, adv.Grip/adv laser sight. Plus a good optic. Plus it costs 1000 certs. Its rate of fire is impressive, but its more like a TR weapon with a smaller mag. Try to destroy something at a larger distance 50+ meters...wont work so easy. The stats are quite good, and it got slightly buffed recently, but cant recommend it and saw only a few fanboys of this weapon in game and in the forums.

The GR-22 doesnt need 300 certs. Just 100-200 for laser sights, or Soft Point Ammo. Its rate of fire is impressive, but its also only for close range engagements. It was nerfed recently at mid-long range distances, so it wont do wonders there as well. It only costs 250 certs though, so every seasoned NC medic should have it in his arsenal imo.

The best NC allrounders are the NS-11 and the two Gauss rifles, especially the S. But I know that was not your point as you looked for CQC options :D
  13. badmagic36

I too have both guns and really like ADS so my choice is the Carnage, I got it on sale and have loved it ever since. The update made it even better. If you ADS then Carnage, if you like hip fire then GR-22. I tried to ADS the GR-22 and the recoils is too much so I got the Carnage.

But to be honest, for CQC a SMG or Shotgun is the best. They are available to all classes, no shotgun for Infiltrator, and by defaut are great hipfire and ADS. SMG has better range so I'd get that.
  14. DuckSauce

Ever since the buffs to the Carnage itself and the buffs to the Advanced Foregrip, the Carnage has become my favorite all-purpose weapon on the Combat Medic.

My previous gripes with it were its long reload for its small magazine (which was buffed) and its wild side-to-side recoil (foregrips now reduce the max amount of horizontal recoil as well as horizontal recoil per shot).

It has good stock hipfire, a great variety of attachments, 0.75x ADS move, and great TTK. The GR-22 is nice in CQC but isn't as easy to use at long range (and has a min damage of 112, compared to 125 on the Carnage), while with the Carnage + Compensator + Adv. Foregrip you can easily take people out at 50m+ while basically holding LMB. But vertical recoil is so low you can get away without using a compensator at all -- I just find it helps to lessen the jerk of the first shot recoil.
  15. RHINO_Mk.II

Just picked up the Carnage myself since they reduced the price to 250 certs. Running with Red Dot|Adv Grip|Flash Supp right now - don't feel like the compensator is necessary with the 1x red dot sight, although it might help if you were using a 3.4x or 4x scope. It fires laser accurate bursts of 15 rounds (half the clip) up to 50m when ADS, and you have the nice .75x ADS movement modifier. DPS is slightly lower than the GD22, but I honestly feel that the balanced horizontal recoil and the Adv. Grip option make it well worth it unless you only plan to engage at point blank (in which case, where is your shotty?)