PhysX Causing Crashes

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by ToastmanPat, May 18, 2013.

1. ToastmanPat

This setting is definitely not stable. I've been experimenting with it on and off. If I have it enabled, I crash frequently. Maybe 2-3 times in an hour session. I have since disabled it and have played a few long sessions with no issues at all. I'm using the ultra settings configuration, but I also tried PhysX by just using the in-game settings (no ini tweaks), and still I was crashing. I would love to be able to run it cause I think it looks great in this game, but not at the expense of stability. I know other users have already reported such things, but just thought I would chime in here and hope this get's patched. I have current drivers as well.

Win 7 x64
    i5 3570k
    16GB ram - 1600mhz
    MSI GTX 670
    Installed to SSD
  2. Stan

I don't think I was having too many issues until the latest game update or two. I had to finally turn it off as well due to the frequent crashing. My stats are nearly identical to yours, the only difference being 8g of ram instead of 16g, and a PNY GTX 670. I have it installed on a 128g Samsung 830. It always seems like 1 step forward and 3 steps back with the updates. At least there are new fancy hats and what not to buy...
  3. ToastmanPat

That's a good point now that I think about it. How many patches/updates have we had since PhysX was "officially" available? Two? Something just stopped working right.
  4. AstroCat

Agreed, PhysX definitely increases the instability (CTDs) factor.
  5. ALeviathan

This is how it's been = Release to GU05 forget PhysX, GU06 PhysX OK, GU07 PhysX causing crashing randomly, GU08 worse for crashing.
    • Up x 1
  6. Mogsy

yep safer to turn it off.
  7. eatdachicken

Yup, for now, leave PhysX turned off. In it's current state, it's extremely unstable. With PhysX enabled I would crash all the damn time, with a standard Windows 7 error "Planetside 2 Has Stopped Working". If I turn it off, no more crash.

It's very unfortunate, because PhysX is pretty neat ;_;

If that can help the dev, here's my Spec

2x GTX 680 with 324.22 driver (currently not using SLI, I get better performance with 1 card. I also tried having the second card dedicated to Physx but that didn't help the crashing at all).
    Intel i7 3960X 3.30GHZ OC @ 4.40 Ghz
    12GB Corsair DDR3 RAM
    X79-UD3 Motherboard (Sandy Bridge-E)
    240GB Intel Solid State Drive
  8. Jenocyber

Ever since GU07 PhysX has indeed caused the game to randomly crash a lot, I've tested with all the last five Nvidia drivers and all cause the game to CTD.

Hopefully SOE can get it fixed
    • Up x 1