Wonderful news!

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Metal Insomniac, May 16, 2013.

1. VSDerp

this is pure B.S.
  2. OldMaster80

Yes really: you guys just had to check the roadmap they still tons of previous features to complete. Already 1 month ago it was already crystal clear the Infiltrators revamp was going to be postponed.
    Think about it: they have to introduce the lattice map (only Indar is ready, Esamir under construction, Amerish still to start), and all of this caused Hossin to be postponed as well. 2 Max weapons have been delayed because they were unable to balance them (greande launcer, flamethrower) without to mention the Max skills. Then last updates introduced new heavy bugs that have to be fixed, and there's always the optimization question that has to be on top of the "to do" list.

Honestly I expected this. ;)
    • Up x 1
  3. A 59 c

Scan, have you not realised yet... Ztiller works for SOE - he is the Lead Developer on the INI team :p

No in all seriousness, Scan, not that I Ztiller can't defend himself, but I think you're being at bit mean to him here.
    I don't agree with everything Ztiller posts but he has some very good ideas and these are more oftern well communicated, contructive and witty. Yes he can be a little cantankerous at times but not everyone has to agree with everyone else and besides these forums would be duller with out him - no..?
  4. OldMaster80

I disagree. Ztiller basically contraddicts those who say Infiltrator suck and pretend to have silly things like shotguns, landmines, AOE sniper rifles, ropes, paragliders, double jump, dual guns, atom bombs, orbital strikes and whatever. And I agree with him that this class armory is perfectly fine, if you know how to use it.
    This doesn't change the fact there's a lot of expectation about new tools, devices and new opportunities for our class to be useful on the battlefield. Because nr 1 issue of our class is that we got nothing more to do than sniping and killing (if we exclude the trivial hacking feature).

Back to the OP, Ztiller is still right. This is just a "OH NOOES CONSPIRACY" thread. But it's all about switching on the brain: devs didn't even complete features that were scheduled in GU07 and GU08, tons of bugs popped up in the last months and optimization is still an issue. I wonder how could some Infiltrators even dare to think the revamp could arrive in time.
    I say devs should first finish what they started, then our time will come. [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  5. Aimeryan

Actually, I don't think I have ever seen him post an idea - all his posts are either "Not a problem for me, so stopping whining", "No, that would be imbalanced", or "You are bad, L2P". Never have I see him post an idea. He is by far the least constructive member on these forums, unless you count his "tutorials" (really just, "this is how I play, everyone else should do so too").

Now and again, part of a post he makes is right - in this case the part that it is probably not a conspiracy, just bad planning.

I am still convinced he is a shill, official or not.
  6. Dr. Euthanasia

Yeah. He contradicts literally everyone who says the Infiltrator sucks, regardless of how valid their reasons are. Because we don't think the class is perfect save for the few minor flaws he's actually willing to acknowledge, we get **** from him as if we're part of the same group that honestly believes we need things like SMGs as secondary weapons, shotguns, and anti-material sniper rifles.

I, too, cannot recall him ever posting an idea. And why would he? The Infiltrator is perfect as far as he's concerned.
    • Up x 4
  7. Scan

Well, I'd advise anyone to not wrote posts like I did, because someone will tell the mods and you get into trouble.

Might have been mean to him. But you well you know... "sow the wind, and you'll reap the whirlwind"

on topic:

I'm quite disappointed. Was really looking forward to the revamp. I suppose there's little else to do but wait this one out and hope the extra waiting, will deliver a better job on the revamp. Would be a shame if they messed up by rushing it.
  8. Pikachu

As much BS as this delayed split up MAX update. -.-
    • Up x 1
  9. Hoki

Guys, this could be a good thing.

This could mean that the devs have recognized a lot of flaws in the inf class and have ambitious changes to make that would take longer than a month.

Edit: and what I mean by this, is out of all the other classes, the inf is left wanting more than any other.

Lots of **** weapons.

Nanoweave utterly ***** our ********.

Lots of videos and posts displaying how flawed and situational cloak is.

Endless discussions on this forum about how non-sneaky the class is

Camo on my TR inf being very ineffective.

I mean there are a lot of stuff for them to potentially improve, and this could mean they're taking on a lot more of it.
  10. Skeith

still i fear that they will just give a couple of cloak a new sniper rifle and a big middle finger.
  11. Spookydodger

I see quite a few infiltrators, and they do make a difference when played right. I find the most useful role of an infiltrator in the "team play" aspect of things is unit discovery with the recon weapon (which doesn't give points :( ) and as a target softener with a semi-automatic (not bolt) weapon as units cross open terrain or are fighting against an entrenched enemy with a kill zone. I see infiltrators used more on our side when in an organized outfit.

If the infiltrator could carry things like flash bangs and such, and maybe able to launch them like an RPG from their rifle, they might have even more.

I do agree that it is going to be difficult to balance / improve the infiltrator around a game that is in flux at the core levels. Maybe it will be easier when the lattice system is in place and see how concentrated front-lines make a difference to the role of each class.
  12. Scan

There's no doubt about that. If I play the Infiltrator, taking all the limitations into account, I am rocking!

Taking all the limitations into account however means:
    - Not getting too close to the enemy.
    - Not hacking turrets with people in them.
    - Not operating alone in hostile territory without teammates acting as a distraction.

In other words, if I choose to stay in contested areas, stay on the move and snipe people from afar, staying on the edges of the contested area, I rack up kill, after kill, after kill.

Actually taking your infiltrator into a base that houses more than 5 enemies however, by myself. Once one of them hears your cloak...Well... you might kill 1, you might kill 2, or 3, but number 4 and 5 will kill you, unless you abandon your reason of going in in the first place and return to the edges of the contested area.

We have to use our cloak to prevent from getting seen/We can't use our cloak with nearby enemies because we'll be heared and get seen.

It's this contradiction that, in my opinion, plagues this class the most... and after having have played this game for over half a year now, the contradictions are still there, I'm still having to work around them, and I still don't understand what the hell for.
  13. Ztiller

Actually i do those exact 3 things all the time. You people needs to stop talking about Infiltration as if it is some sort of myth/legend that only happens when the stars are aligned 3 sectors right of the full Moon.

Just because you can't do it, doesn't mean that i can't.

It's getting pretty ridiculous (And amusing) to watch you talk about infiltration as if its impossibility is a fact that everyone just accepts. It isn't, and you're giving off the wrong idea to newbies who would like to learn, rather than listen to people whining about hoiw hard life is.
    • Up x 1
  14. Tyzh

I would be satisfied if they just fixed nanoweave. I'd consider that the infil rework.
  15. Dr. Euthanasia

It would warm my bitter black heart to see a newbie catch on to the fact that all of your advice requires that the enemy factions allow you to sneak past them by ignoring visual and audible cues which are beyond your control to prevent.
  16. ArcKnight

for all we know, the big update could be just another pay2win weapon
  17. Evil Monkey

I have learned to only use infiltrators to hack terminals to spawn Sunderers, then instantly switch to a useful class. Maybe this update will make them useful for the squad besides this rather niche role.

Note: If you view your cloak as a device for EXfiltrating (i.e. escaping) to throw off pursuit/aim/break LoS rather than INfiltrating, it will cause less frustration.
  18. Scan

[
    Good for you.

But this isn't about you is it.

You left out the above when quoting my post.

Why?
  19. Spookydodger

I won't necessarily say I am "great" at the saboteur-style infiltrator, but I have done it and have had some success. Equipped with an SMG, a buffed cloak, and anti-infantry mines you can turn your drawbacks into at least neutral if not beneficial.

• "Not getting too close to the enemy." Know your base layout, and don't fire on an enemy unless you are behind them and have cover to dart around behind. Use a silencer or suppressor on your weapon so that the sound isn't very audible and doesn't reveal your location on the minimap. Before you fire, lay down an anti-personnel mine around a corner that you can retreat over. I also recommend hacking an inventory terminal first to resupply your mines as needed.
    • "Not hacking turrets with people in them." Lay down a mine on the normal "entry" point of the turret, then jump on top or shimmy your way around to the other side. Hack the turret and the enemy will be ejected onto the mine, killing or severely wounding him. Then you can pop over and take him out if he still lives.
    • "Not operating alone in hostile territory without teammates". This is not going to be a very good cert gain, but it is fun. You can tie up as many as 12 people in a major base looking for you. It hinges largely on watching patterns and hit-and-run. It was easier (is easier) in bases where you can use the jump pads. If they are available, hit an item, trip a gen or do something to keep the defenders jumping. Then egress in the fastest way possible and hit from another side completely. Don't run along the inside of the base, hitting gens in a predictable pattern unless you have a gift waiting for them at the next predictable gen. For example, lay mines at the SW gen in an amp station, then hit the NE and then the SE. Anyone paying attention will see a pattern ad try to head you off at the SW gen and get a nice AI mine treat at the gen.
      • Or trip a gen and then find a wall nook to overlook the gen. Wait for someone to go in, give them a second or two to start resetting it, and then toss a grenade in.
      • Use a decoy grenade on one side of the base and then run to the other side to cause chaos.
      • Jump up and down from multi level bases. If you have a walkway you can jump off of to evade pursuers, jump off and cloak as you fall, and then reverse direction from the way you were going, preferably towards a trap area.
      • Use your recon device to know where infantry is, and also to spook them if they hear the sound. When you know they are nearby, cloak and uncloak several times. They will spin like tops checking their rears. You don't even need to be near them. Just be on the other side of a wall and you'll have the chasing their tails.
      • Knife/shoot someone and run, cloak, and head towards another enemy. It's devilish to have someone trying to hit your cloak form and then have them gun down a teammate in their rage.
    It's not easy, to be sure, and may not necessarily be all the rewarding at the same time. That is something that can be worked on, but it isn't useless. An infiltrator with a nearby satellite to spawn from on a base just behind the front lines can have a good number of defenders tied up chasing a ghost, or find a base they need to defend sabotaged and less capable. When I am playing by myself and don't want to join a squad, I often do this. Yes, it's a lot of running and the action can be sporadic, but few things get my heart pumping as much as being PS2's less-capable solid-snake.
    • Up x 1
  20. Scan

I appreciate your input Spooky.

Most of what you decribe I am doing already.

I think I've said this in another post, it's not so much things cannot be done. It's more... a feeling I have when I'm playing the Infiltrator.

For instance, playing the other classes, I don't feel being hold back by the class itself. They all do what they're supposed to, and they do it well. When I'm healing people, or reparairing things, or firing anti-vehicle missles, I don't feel like using these tools/mechanics increase the chance of getting killed, or that I can't do stuff what the class was designed to do.

With the Infiltrator, it's quite the opposite, and I'd love it if they did something to change this.