Game freezing.... fixed by deleting temporary files?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by OldMaster80, Apr 19, 2013.

1. OldMaster80

Hi,

I've been recently experiencing huge problems with the game suddenly freezing. I couldn't even use CTRL+ALT+CANC, audio was totally gone (TS3 as well) so I had to switch power off to reboot the PC. That was happening so frequently that I was just unable to play for more than 15 minutes.
    I was afraid that temperature on my pc was too high so I enabled the warning buzz at 60° via Bios and played in windowed mode so I could check Core Temp popup messages. The game froze again but temperature was at 40°C and no buzz coming from the case so overheating was not the problem.

Then I've read on forum that some users fixed game freezing problems by cleaning PS2 temporary files. I've done the same using Win 7 hard disk cleaning utility and CC Cleaner then I've rebooted the system and.... I've been playing for 1 hour without any problem.

Of course I have to test this further but it seems the game is now more stable than before.... Any thought or comment? Can this really be the case?
  2. GerrTier

Where temp files of game locates? My game is still freezing on redeploy, but now it also frequently freezes when using teleports to biolabs. GU07 did not solve that problem. Sad but true.
  3. OldMaster80

You can find the folder by typing %temp% in the Win search string. To clear temporary files I used CC Cleaner but I believe we're having different problems: game doesn't freeze on redeploy for me, it feels like a total system freeze caused by PS2 but it's not related to temperature.
  4. OldMaster80

By the way system is freezing up again so deleting temporary files was not a solution :(

I don't know what to do, the system is now so unstable I can't play anymore.
  5. DashTech

Might not just be your CPU overheating. When it freezes, does your whole system freeze, or just the game? Have you tried running something like 3D mark continuously for a while to see if that freezes too. If it's only 3D stuff freezing then it might be an issue with your GPU overheating.
  6. OldMaster80

It's the whole system. But I'm sure there is something wrong with PS2 because:
    1) This wasn't happening until yesterday.
    2) It only happens when I'm aiming!

Other 2 friends of mines are experiencing the same issue and the're forced to reboot by switching off the power because system does not respond at all.
    I'll let 3dmark run a see what happens.
  7. Papio

Checklist:
    Switch off flora, shadows, fog shadows.
    Install windows updates
    Run CCleaner
    Update Graphics Drivers
    Update Audio Drivers
    Open PS2 Router ports
    Run the game with Razor game booster
    Increase Virtual memory on low memory systems or disable it if you have 8gb+

Run the launcher and click the spanner icon "advanced tools" then validate game assets.
    Reinstall game

.... did I miss any steps?
  8. GerrTier

I think it all can helps, but if it begins only after last update so case is in the game. I just played 1 hour without crashes after cleaning my pc with CCleaner and set ps2 process priority to High. Maybe it works or just lucky.
  9. DashTech

There have been some reports of GPUs being hotter since this patch - perhaps they have offloaded more on to it. My graphics card used to cause my computer to freeze in BF3 until there was a firmware update for the card to fix it - didn't happen in any other game. So just PS2 doesn't guarantee it's not the card. It is always worth doing period updates of all your drivers and firmware as a precaution.

Download MSI Afterburner, it's a free tool that gives you information and control over your graphics card - run that and monitor your GPU temperature as well. You can also try under-clocking your card (and CPU) to see if that has any temporary impact.
  10. OldMaster80

After last hotfix the problem did not occur anymore for 90 minutes... :eek:
  11. GerrTier

I had freeze after last hotfix. But just one for 2 hours.
  12. Ashlander

I've had freezes happening about once every 20 minutes, at most i get an hour but that is rare.

This is absolutely unplayable.

My graphics card(GTX 560 TI) is never over 75C and my CPU cores (4x @ 3.0 Ghz) dont even go over 70C. It simply is not a temperature issue. I have 16 GB of RAM. It isn't due to lack of RAM.

That being said; I do notice that the game offloads most everything onto the last core(specifically the 8th b/c its hyperthreaded or w/e)
    and even tho its temperature never gets very high, I think that this constant pressure on that one core compared to the rest of the cores causes the total system freeze.