The tutorial is pointless , get rid of it or make a new one ...

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Stew360, May 16, 2013.

1. Stew360

First of all most players who get into planetside are already some FPS players from COD , Quake , CS , BF and so on , almost everyones on this planet know how to crouch and know guns have recoils and know what hip fire is ,

the only thing different about planetside 2 from other game is PS2 have unique recoils patern for eachguns and they did not even talk about it in this crappy tutorial ...

Everyones know how to crouch jump zoom and shoot , it dosent take a master in engineering to know this ...

The tutorial that planetside 2 need is explaining how the game work , how the defense of a base work , the importance of each piece of the puzzle like generator SCU , different kind of shield etc..

Also peoples dont know how the asymetrical balance work so why not talking about the unique aspect of some faction and the conter for it ? Strong point and weakness ?

Why not talking about squad and platoon structure ? command chanel ? sunderer ability like the AMS and the Gate defusers ? why not givving the exemple of those tactics ?

how the map works ? explain why this or that show up on the maps ennemy pops friendly pops etc...

why not talking about the certs and how to enhanced your play style with those ?

Planetside is a much more complex game than much other games and this is why peoples get lost into it and quit because they dont understand the dynamics of the game

this tutorial is a BAD joke ... i did it agains last nigth and still their is NO improovement its a tutorial for 6 years old kids or for ignorant who as never touch a computer in their life ...

This is not the kind of tutorial that planetside 2 Need !
    • Up x 14
  2. ThePinkPanzer

No, it isn't pointless. This is not a tutorial for the 'veteran players' you assume make up the entirety of Planetside 2's new players. It's a tutorial for people who are new to shooters, you really think any of the 'veteran' players would even bother to try and check the tutorial?

Calling it a BAD joke (not just a joke people!) is a gross overreaction, and calling anyone who is new to the genre ignorant or a child does nothing but reflect poorly on yourself.
    • Up x 8
  3. ps2x518

I haven't seen the PS2 tutorial yet but I really dig the PS1 one. Popups for each new weapon you equip or continent you go to, guiding you to the VR room, then certification terminal, then the map system, etc. If it's anything like that I'll be happy.
    • Up x 2
  4. LibertyRevolution

I don't normally side with stew, but I am with him on this one..
    The current one would be fine as like "level 1" training, but they need a "level 2" that explains the PS2 game mechanics...
    They need to focus on things like which shields do what and other things that are not the strait forward FPS controls..
    • Up x 5
  5. Torok

What a dumb thread, a starter tutorial is better than anything, and i have friends who would benefit from the current one
  6. MangoPunch

There are a lot of players who come to this game from other MMOs, not just FPS games. I agree that the tutorial needs to cover a lot more, for example the map, changing loadouts, resources etc, but the current tutorial is a buttload better than what we have now, which is nothing.
    • Up x 2
  7. Nogrim313

i thought it was quite helpful even in its very limited form, sure the crouching juming can be redundant, but seeing the terminals, jump pads and teleporters in action and being told what they are is great.

- add pain fields new players need to know why they take damage crouching by the spawns
    - vehicle pads, we need noobs to stop standing on or infront of them
    - deployed ammo packs (finding them on the mini map
    - sunderers
    - ammo towers
    - gate shields
    base shields (the amp station infantry blockers)
    generators
    (SCU, but those are changin now anyway)

personally great start guys. i expect we wil eventually have a ful VR with tutorials etc available. sending them in to the VR first might not be a bad idea (starting noobs off with 1k certs once they finish the tutorial would reward them for doing it and give them their first gun free)
  8. Stew360

what veteran player are you talking about ?

Most players (( non veteran planetside players )) Are MAINLY SHOOTER PLAYER and they KNOW how to play a shooter how to crouch and how to shoot with ADS and HIP fire

the tutorial we have ask for was not a silly crap where they tell you how to run jump aim shoot and crouch for GOd SAKE

We have ask to have a tutorial thats SHOW HOW TO PLAY PLANETSIDE ( not how to use generic shooter mechanics )) and HOW to understand whats going on , on this massive scale warfare something that HELP peoples to understand how planetside 2 works how the squad platoon comand generator and so on WORK

At least if they have talk about the unic recoils patern for each guns in ps2 and how to master them ... did they ? No they did not :S

This tutorial can be skip at any time because its a silly generic useless training for 6 years old kids or for someones who has never play a pc game EVER

Most NEW planetside players already ahve played COD or Battlefield or ARMA or CS etc...

they dont need this silly crap , they need to be guided on how the more complex mechanics works

at the end of this tutorial the peoples will remains totally confuse about how planetside is suposed to work
    • Up x 1
  9. Stew360

this is what they need to do and more
  10. Stew360

Saying thing like this is a poor excuse

its like saying its better to eat trash then not eating at all , is this what you want for your futur ? Eating trash instead of nothing ?

If you have a chance to planned your futur will you planned to grow some decent food to eat and have tasty and juicy dinner ? Or will you planned to eat some rotten crap inside a trash bag ?

Hope you get what iam trying to say

I do not agree with you

We have ask for a training that is meaning full and explain thing that peoples do not understand , like the asymetrical balance , like the unique recoils patern , like the capture , shield , scu , like the respawn sunderer etc.. like the vehicules ability and certs , like the platoon comand etc.. how to read a map etc.. etc..etc..

this is what the tutorial should cover not , the very basic moovement that almost any fps share for ages now
    • Up x 1
  11. Ixidron

The tutorial is stupid, instead of explaining how this game works it explains how shooters work, it needs to talk about:

Certifications: how do they work, common pool guns, trial period, virtual reality, attachments, all class weapons, etc.
    Weapons: understanding statistics (accuracy, bullet drop, muzzle speed, damage drop), roles, attachments, etc.
    Loadouts: explain how infantry armor works, how to create loadouts, how to resupply infantry consumables, how consumables work and what they do.
    Factions: differences
    Classes: Roles, strengths and weaknesses
    Vehicles: how to spawn, how do they work, resource cost, vehicle pads, ammo towers, tank directional armor, vehicle role, how to swap seats (when I began playing this game it took me a couple of minutes to figure out you had to use F1, F2 instead of 1, 2 like weapons).
    Battle flow: map usage, map interpretation, capture times, AMS, etc.
    Facilities: shields, shield diffuser, generators, jump pads, painfields, TUNNELS (yeah, most people don't know they exist), hacking, turrets, blowing up your own terminals/not repairing them to avoid hacking.
    Resources: usage, obtention, purpose, management.
    • Up x 3
  12. DistantPower

To quote Malorn:

There is more stuff to come.
    • Up x 2
  13. Stew360 Translator

The majority of players that start playing Planetside are already experienced in the core mechanics of FPS style games. These players already know the basics of movement and aiming/firing weapons, as such they do not benefit from many aspects of the tutorial. The primary things that the tutorial should address are aiding players in understanding the unique aspects of Planetside’s gameplay.

A good starting point would be to introduce new players to how base defense works in this game, such as the roles of the various generators within bases. Furthermore, the tutorial needs to show the strong and weak points of the different factions’ weapons and vehicles, along with the appropriate way to fight against other factions. The tutorial should also show the importance of squad and platoon channels, in addition to explaining the importance of reading the comments made in the command chat channel. The tutorial also does not show various tactics and abilities used by players in the game in relation towards vehicles. The current tutorial also doesn't explain any of the features or icons that are found in the map. There is also no mention about the primary aspect of advancement within this game, certification points.

Planetside is a greatly more complex game than the average FPS style game. New players often leave Planetside due to not understanding the many aspects of the game. The current tutorial in its current state does not help new players out in understanding the many aspects of the game. I feel that the current tutorial is aimed at children, or people that are generally unfamiliar with computers. Planetside desperately needs an improved tutorial.

I’m sorry, I’m not sure what you are referring to, I did not mention veteran players at all. What I said was that most of the newer players are already experienced in the general aspects of FPS games, they know how to crouch, aim and fire weapons. The current tutorial fails to aid new players in understanding the unique aspects of Planetside, rather it focuses on teaching new players information that they most likely already know.

The tutorial needs to aid players in understanding the things that make Planetside stand apart from other FPS style games. Things such as how the squad and platoon systems work in addition to the roles of the various generators found in bases. At the very least the tutorial should try to explain the recoil patterns of the different weapons within Planetside. Basically, this current tutorial teaches information that the majority of new players already know, the only people that would find the tutorial useful would be children and persons whom have no experience playing video games on a computer. Upon completing this tutorial most new players will still have a very poor understanding of how the unique aspects of Planetside work.

Your suggestion is an example of what needs to be added to the current tutorial. However there are still a lot of improvements that could and should be added to the tutorial.

Your comment adds nothing to the discussion. Your comment is basically saying that eating garbage is better than eating nothing; would you prefer to eat garbage rather than nothing in the future?

If you were given the chance to plan for your future in terms of eating, would you plan to grow and harvest vegetables/ fruit or would you plan to eat some garbage that you found?

I hope what I have said is understandable. I must say that I disagree with your point of view, the game developers should aim at teaching new players aspects of Planetside that are not common place in your typical FPS style game. Things such weapon handling, how to attack and defend bases, use special abilities such as the AMS addition to the sunderer, squad and platoon organisation, how to understand the map.

The things that I previously mentioned are examples of aspects of the game that the tutorial should teach new players. New players do not need help in understanding basic FPS mechanics, such as movement.
    • Up x 6
  14. Torok

no. the tutorial should cover only the starter things, while the rest is up to player to discover throughout the game,
    i'll quote Malorn from PSU, game designer for planetside 2
    these are his thoughts and the tutorial will reflect this
    http://www.planetside-universe.com/showthread.php?postid=921142#post921142

15. Makwa

When I came to Planetside2 I had only tried a few fps on my friends xbox. Even then my total time over the years would add up to less than 6 hours. Something about PS2 struck me. I would have loved to have a simplistic tutorial when I started.
  16. Stew360

You got it bro , this game aint need to show how to play generic shooter , it need to show how planetside 2 works
    • Up x 1
  17. Stew360

This is exactly whats wrong with this tutorial , they have copied others games tutorial who are for the most part pointless and almost 95 % of the peoples skip them if they can ;)
  18. X3Killjaeden

Well then skip them if you dont need it... I dont see the harm in having very basic tutorials. However, there need to be more tutorials how the game actually works in terms of gameplay (base capture, ressources, vehicle spawning etc). Yesterday on live there where alot of newbies at a fight for Zurvan that tried to shoot generators, tried to shoot spawnshields and do all the newbie stuff... i had to educate them to not constantly die as free fodder for the campers in the spawnroom. This shouldnt be, the game should tell you how to do that.
  19. Doc Jim

As a seasoned FPS connoisseur I find the tutorial to be meh until the bit where it's about interaction with cap-points and terminals, that's where the tutorial starts to benefit both FPS rookies and vets.

It's short as it is, but if they manage to build up from where it ends atm to include ground and air vehicles and maybe lead the player through the VR before unleashing the raw rookies on actual fights, then it would be a quite good tutorial.
  20. Ashnal

So, did you ever consider that maybe the tutorial isn't finished yet? Wouldn't it make the most sense to start with the basics of movement and shooting, then work up to the map, vehicles, and other PS2 specific things after? That makes the most sense to me, because it would teach ALL players, not just shooter players, and not just complete newbies, but everyone. If I were building the one building the tutorial, I know I would be starting at the beginning and adding on as stuff gets finished. What you're seeing is a half finished feature.