Anyone running with ultra shadows and getting good fps?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Chouheals, May 16, 2013.

1. Chouheals

I've been messing with my system trying to get everything to run on ultra with acceptable framerates (60 at warpgate and never going below 30.) I've got everything pretty much tweaked and everything is on max/ultra except for shadows, which drops my framerate down to the mid 20's at warpgate.

Was just curious, anyone have success running shadows on ultra (Shadows = 4 in useroptions.ini) with everything else maxed out? By maxed out I mean:

Everything on HIGH setting except:

Shadows = 4
    Texture Quality = 0

What frame rates do you get?
  2. Pella

Drop RenderDistance to 2k. Will give you a much better FPS stability.

You wont notice the difference unless you fly allot.

As for shadows 3 /4 I cant see any FPS difference. Or Visual improvment for that matter.
  3. Stew360

[Rendering]
    GraphicsQuality=5
    TextureQuality=0
    TerrainLOD=4
    ShadowQuality=1
    RenderDistance=5999.000000
    Gamma=0.200000
    MaximumFPS=250
    UseLod0a=0
    OverallQuality=-1
    LightingQuality=4
    EffectsQuality=4
    TerrainQuality=4
    FloraQuality=3
    ModelQuality=3
    AOQuality=4
    AmbientOcclusionQuality=4
    VerticalFOV=74
    ParticleLOD=5
    ParticleQuality=4
    ParticleDistanceScale=2.000000
    EffectsDistanceScale=2.000000
    FogShadowsEnable=1
    MotionBlur=1
    VSync=0
    GpuPhysics=0
    AO=1

I get around 40-45 fps in big figths and around 80 to 100 elsewhere

it isnt a good idea to run the shadow at 4 lol it will ruins your fps for not so much improovement
  4. Stew360

Also Ultra is Texture quality = 0

Not 4

This is texture quality = 0

[IMG]

And this is texture = 3

[IMG]

Quiet a buff yeah ?

So set it to 0 and youll see what is ultra :)
  5. Chouheals

Ah yeah I have it set to 0. I accidentally put 4 in my post for Texture Quality. I should go edit that :p

Render distance didn't change anything for me. I've set it to 6k and to 1k. Nothing changed in terms of performance. I just set it at the default 4k.

The shadows thing; are you sure you don't see a difference at all? It KILLS my frame rates setting it to 4 by almost half. The visual shadow difference is suddle.

The reason I ask about max settings and fps is because I see these videos of players playing PS2 with gorgeous, realistic images. I set everything to max (except shadows, which remains on HIGH) and it still doesn't look as gorgeous as the videos.
  6. Stew360 Translator

My personal settings are as follows

[Rendering]
    GraphicsQuality=5
    TextureQuality=0
    TerrainLOD=4
    ShadowQuality=1
    RenderDistance=5999.000000
    Gamma=0.200000
    MaximumFPS=250
    UseLod0a=0
    OverallQuality=-1
    LightingQuality=4
    EffectsQuality=4
    TerrainQuality=4
    FloraQuality=3
    ModelQuality=3
    AOQuality=4
    AmbientOcclusionQuality=4
    VerticalFOV=74
    ParticleLOD=5
    ParticleQuality=4
    ParticleDistanceScale=2.000000
    EffectsDistanceScale=2.000000
    FogShadowsEnable=1
    MotionBlur=1
    VSync=0
    GpuPhysics=0
    AO=1

Using these settings I obtain roughly 40-45 fps during large fights. In areas where there are few players I generally get around 80-100 fps. In my experience setting the shadow option to ‘4’ is extremely taxing on the performance of the game client, and you will not notice much improvement in terms of shadow quality, as such I would not recommend it.

Confusingly, the option to enable ‘ultra’ texture quality is ‘0’ not ‘4’. I know that seems somewhat confusing, you would expect the higher number to refer to a higher quality setting, however let me show you the results of changing texture quality to ‘0’ from ‘3’ (high).

The texture quality of this picture results from setting texture quality to ‘0’
    [IMG]
    The texture quality of this picture results from setting texture quality to ‘3’
    [IMG]

I’m sure you would agree that setting texture quality to ‘0’ results in a observable increase in texture quality.
    • Up x 1