Stuttering for excessive use of memory

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Simferion, May 11, 2013.

1. Dreamspell

Actually, it stutters every second.

I have a 2010 MBP so i'm not even gonna post my specs.
  2. Zazen

OS & Service Pack: Win 7 Pro 64
    Processor: i7-920
    Memory: 24gb
    Video Memory: 2 GB
    Video Card: 660ti
    Video Driver Version: 320.00(beta)
    Sound Card: xiFi Forte

It always happens after prolonged periods of play (1+ hrs). It used to happen sooner until I upped from 6-24gb ram. It is usually started by a huge fight, with lots of vehicles and explosions near a large base, but never goes away after that, even if alone in the middle of the desert.

Only a cold or warm boot of my computer fixes it for another long session of play. If I just exit and re-enter the game it happens again much sooner than the first time and I usually get the white flashing screen thing when you face certain directions. Interestingly, EQ has/had the West bug, the same exact thing ,but only if you faced west, has to be a common thread there.
  3. Primarkka

GT 330M + i7 620M... I'm very surprised you can run the game at all!
  4. m0unds

OS & Service Pack: Windows 8 Pro (x64)
    Processor: AMD FX-8350 4.5GHz
    Memory: 16GB DDR3-1866
    Video Memory: 3072MB
    Video Card: AMD 7970
    Video Driver Version: 13.5 Beta 2 (Also used the current WHQL, 13.4, same issue)
    Sound Card: Schiit Audio Modi DAC

I see the stuttering every 1-3 seconds during large (3-4 platoon) battles. Once leaving the zone (hex) where the large battle is taking place, it stops stuttering as much.
  5. Cloaking

i7 920
    6gb ram
    Radeon 5850

I usually play on low settings and keep high FPS, but now I constantly receive low FPS and very frequent stuttering aswell as excessive use of RAM (probably the cause of the stutter)
  6. Scorponok

yea ive noticed a studder that appears after a while as well...around maybe 30mins of playing it comes and goes...pretty much similiar specc to the rest here...
  7. Dreamspell

The game doesn't run... it crawls. :D
    Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz and GeForce 320M FTL.
  8. Markus.D

What HDD/SSD and motherboard used in your PC? I need all specs.
    Seems, the problem is not at the RAM memory, but at the system pagefile.
    You need to manually increase the size of your pagefile. Remove the pagefile from all partitions and allocate it only at "C:\" with margins: 8192MB min and 16384MB max.
  9. Hrafnagaldr

Same problem since GU8, was gone for GU6/7, but I recall having that with GU5. Happens faster on crowded continents, semms to be a memory leak. Alt-Tabbing and switching back to the game sometimes helps.

OS & Service Pack: Windows 8 Professional
    Processor: AMD FX-8350 8-Core @ 4GHz
    Chipset: AMD 970 / SB 950
    Memory: 16GB DDR3-1600 (4x4)
    Video Memory: 3GB GDDR5
    Video Card: Asus Radeon 7950 V2
    Video Driver Version: AMD Catalyst 13.4
    Sound Card: Soundblaster Z PCIe bulk
    Game installed on: Intel SSD 320 160GB @ Sata 6Gbps Port
    Pagefile is disabled. Maybe thats a problem? Would be the first game...

Otherwise, the game runs fine on 2560x1440p high details with 3000m render distance.
  10. Ricodon

Same problem here! Can play for about 20-30 Minutes an than the game stutters and I need to Alt+Tab an go back to the game. This helps for the next 20-30 Minutes and than the stuttering is back!

OS & Service Pack: Win7 64Bit UpToDate!
    Processor: Q8300 @2,8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR2- PC6400 OCZ Platinum Rev2
    Video Memory: 1GB DDR5
    Video Card: ASUS GTX 560Ti Top
    Video Driver Version: 320.00
    Sound Card: Crative Tactic3D-Alpha (Headset) , THX TruStudioPro (USB dongle)

Playing in 1080p, all on high except of shadows (medium), no fog shadow and no motion blur, FOV @68 no VSYNC and PhysX ON.

You are kidding right?
    This is the worst solution i have ever seen! Sorry!
    He hast 8GB of memory...more than 2 or 4GB of pagefile is not necessary!
    If u have or have more than 12GB of memory then it is recommended to disable the pagefile completely but then more memory will be used.
    Memory is much faster (incredibly much faster) than an SSD so why should someone use such a big pagefile instead of his memory (for gaming)? :rolleyes:
  11. Markus.D

I never thought to kidding with such things :)

You must know how the Win pagefile works, what it is and how the OS core use it. Win pagefile is not the same as *nix swap space.
    Under *nix you can remove your swapfile if you use more than 4GB of RAM. *nix uses swap only if core needs to unload some amount of RAM memory.

So, *nix operate with programs like : load bin to RAM, load data to RAM, if bin is large or data is huge (and we have not enough RAM to load additional data) then unload some parts of bin or data to swap, when the swapped data needed, load it from swap.
    Win have another mechanics : swap bin to page file, load bin from pagefile to RAM. And the same for any data operations.

And one thing more. Win pagefile is a "pagefile.sys" file at the root of your partition. Make your pagefile disabled and look at "C:\" root. You will see that your "pagefile.sys" file still stay there and you can't remove it cuz it locked.
    Instead of *nix systems Win OS always use pagefile, even if it "disabled". OS designed to always use pagefile firstly before using RAM memory.

The better choice will be to use some very speedy storage device, like OCZ RevoDrive, for placing pagefile. But if you disable pagefile at all, it will be automatically created at "C:\" partition, what may decrease total performance.
    I use professionally overclocked system with 12GB DDRIII 2GHz RAM and my OS use pagefile for better performance in range from 12288 to 24576MB. And i have no problems neither with this game nor with my professional work.
  12. Ricodon

Now I know you are kidding. ;)

I have my 2GB pagefile.sys on another HDD than my OS. There is no pagefile on my "C:\" root (but thats OK)!
    For testing your explanation I have disabled my pagefile COMPLETLY and THERE IS NO pagefile on any partition AND yes I can see all the files on any patitions including system (locked) files!
    IT IS DISABLED! Windows is not using an pagefile anymore but i uses more memory instead. In my case windows uses about 600MB more than with pagefile. ;)

What does this tell us?

It would be desirable if the people would properly inform first before a recommendation. :)
    A simple test has been refuted your statement!

I'm happy for you. :)

If you wanna know something about pagefile: READ THIS PLEASE
  13. Markus.D

As you wish :)
  14. Stigma

I'm not sure if this is the exact same issue - but my major gripe is the performance degradation over time. Yes, the FPS goes to **** when you are in a big battle, but that's maybe not the biggest problem. I still have 40-45 fps even in the largest battles and in BF3 for example a framerate of 40-45 would still be fairly responsive and playable - at least as a "worst case scenario".

The problem is that in PS2 the game turns into sirup after you engage in any sort of medium or larger battle - and it REMAINS afterwards too even if you go away to a different area or even a different continent where there are very few people. It is hard to describe what happens exactly. It is not just a drop in FPS because after I have played a bit I might still have 100FPS while flying around but my controls still feel like they are sluggish like hell. FPS doesn't necessarily drop over time but it feels like you get extra input-lag on the controls or something like that...

It is bad in vehicles, but crippling on foot, because any sort of fine-control in the games shooting mechanics are lost. Actually getting good at infantry shooting and gameplay is a lost cause until this is fixed because it's like someone if messing with your controls all the time and there is no way to get a consistent muscle memory trained up. The shooting mechanics are actually decent enough. It's the sluggishness that kills it.

Exiting the game completely and then logging back in fixes the issue immediately, and it is so OBVIOUSLY different. It feels like you just went from 30FPS average to 90FPS average - although the FPS counter does not show anything like that actually happening before and after.

I run a 4,5Ghz 2500K with 8GB RAM (win7 ultimate) and a GTX580 on close to minimal detail settings. This really shouldn't be an issue... but it is.

As far as I am concerned ever other issue is secondary to this. A game that does not feel smooth is not enjoyable to play no matter how smartly designed it is or how much cool content is added.

As I said - this is not just an FPS issue. The FPS indicator says my framerate is great - or at least perfectly acceptable, but after I have been playing for a little bit it feels like my framerate is at 20 while the FPS-counter says 80-100 which would be buttersmooth in other games. It also feels like added input lag on the controls.

As for the stuttering, yes there definitely is some. I run a very fast SSD and I'm not sure if that might effect how noticable it is. I do experience when I would describe as "micro-freezes" now and then though. It's just a split-second freeze but it is still very notiacable in interrupting the flow of the game. They don't happen super frequently and are a distant secondary concern for me personally compared to the overall "laggy sirup" feeling.

-Stigma
    • Up x 1
  15. ARMYguy

iv noticed a fair bit of stutter too, but I wonder if it was cause I forced my video drivers to not pre render screens. I put pre rendering back to default and noticed the lion share of stuttering to go away.
  16. Simferion

You explained the problem very well.;)
  17. AlasPoorJoric

Can you guys confirm whether starting to record video temporarily fixes/improves things for you as well?
  18. Hannypoos

Exactly the same issue for me, i avg between 30-70 fps (even when its stuttering according to the ingame display) but this micro stuttering is a game breaker. I love this game but its made it impossible to play. I dont oc never have temps Max 45 on cpu and 55gpu. Attempted all lowest setting all highest and no change.

OS & Service Pack:Windows 7 SP2
    Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache
    Memory: 4 gb xms3 1333mhz
    Video Memory: 2gb gddr5
    Video Card: EVGA GTX 660 SuperClocked 2GB GDDR5
    Video Driver Version: nvidia 314.22
    Sound Card: Realtek / on board
    Mobo : Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 8 Channel Audio mATX Motherboard