How comes all classes have the same RUNNING SPEED ?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by FABIIK, May 9, 2013.

1. FABIIK

MAX aside, all classes run at the same speed.
    Wondering why it's like that ? And why everybody seems to think it's 'normal'...
    I mean shouldn't Heavy run slower than Infil ? He carries a rocket launcher and a LMG !!!!
    • Up x 1
  2. Crazy Airborne

i always felt like the LA runs the fastest
    • Up x 1
  3. Pivke

with adrenaline pump it does
    • Up x 3
  4. Zitroxious

Sniper rifles in this game are made from lead, the rocketlaunchers are just some lightweight composite material, true story
    • Up x 1
  5. Vaphell

yep, you don't have to tell me. Once HA chased me in almost straight line while spraying from time to time for a good minute, i kid you not, and i thought wtf is this? How come my char made of paper tissue can't outrun heavily armored guy with a heavy LMG and a heavy tube in his backpack?
    • Up x 1
  6. kungflu

because nanites..
    and will cause more balance issues when more **** threads popped. "Infil is OP, Nobody could ever chase that invisible road runner!"
    • Up x 1
  7. Vaphell

bullets still travel much faster than inf would with +10% run speed, unless you are hellbent on knifing him ;)
    • Up x 1
  8. vaxx

LA and Infil should have the fastest. Medic and Engi should be normal speed. Heavy should be slightly slower. MAX should be slowest.

I don't mean by much, but a noticeable difference, IMO.
    • Up x 5
  9. Pikachu

Runs 6-10% faster when sprinting.
  10. Sen7ryGun84

Until they start differentiating shield levels, health pools, ballistic armor ratings and damage variance between weapon types and calibres theres no need for changing the run speed of classes.

In the current environment now for example; what reason is there for making a heavy assault slower than an infiltrator, or a light assault faster than an engineer? They all have the same killing capacity and their weapons are all of equal dps.
  11. ToggleSwitch

Actual laws of physics don't apply in PS2. PS2 is fantasy. You need to accept the 'suspension of disbelief' philosophy while playing PS2.

There is so much in PS2 that is unrealistic that I would think running speeds between different classes would be the least concern.

Now... go play and have fun o_O :D
  12. TheArchetype

I would like this very much. Remove Adrenaline from LAs and just increase their run speed.
    LA=INF
    MED/ENGI<LA/INF
    MED=ENGI
    HA<MED/ENGI
    MAX<HA

The differences don't need to be substantial. They just have to be noticeable.
  13. SgtScum

Max run at the same speed as everyone else as the fruitless chasing of max yelling 'I NEED REPAIRS' with my engie has proven time and time again..

They just take a bit longer to get up to speed.

As for why? Why not?
  14. Vastly

But more like 6%. When I last tested it, the speed increase was so small I thought it was bugged because I didn't run far enough to measure a difference :/.
  15. Vaphell

suspension of disbelief doesn't work that way. Pseudoscifi mumbojumbo and nanotechnology is one thing, basic truths known from everyday life (like heavier=slower all else being equal) being violated is another. In fact this is what damages suspension of disbelief the hardest, not some nanites that can be handwaved away.
  16. Ganelon

HA's wear exosuits, it doesn't strain their movement.

Failing that, Nanites.
  17. Revanmug

Infiltrator have 100 less shield than any other class. Bolt action sniper do not have a high dps either (since you mention dps).
  18. Frosty The Pyro

why would LA be faster than a medic, they have the same health and sheilds, medic isnt carying anything particularly heavier than the LA. Heck if anything the LA's jetpack would weigh em down a bit extra on the ground.

when it comes down to it, all classes have the same health and sheilds, except infiltrators who have less sheilds. LMGs carbines and ARs are very similar in power (though I would say AR>carbine>LMG for the most part, but the difference is minor), and everyone has acces to shotguns, BR, and SMGs, except infltrators again who have a more limited selection. Which would honestly mean only infiltrators will have an excuse to move faster by default. LA of course have their adreinline pump, but that takes up the suit slot and as such is giving up whatever benifit they would normaly be geting from their suit selection. So unless they impliment a weight system or give the different classes different health/sheild values then by balance there is not a lot of reason for one class to have different speeds than the others.

And I could see that working, though Nano would need to be altered to give a flat health bonus instead of a % bonus

HA: 15% run speed penalty, 5% walk speed penalty, 800 health 300 sheilds: 1100 total tougher by default but low sheilds makes them more atrionable and dependent on medics. Reduces lone wolf ability, but increases breaching power by a hair.
    Medic: 600 health 400 sheilds: small buff considering they can heal themselvs so health is more important for em though it will cause them to be draining their ability more often
    Engineer: 500 health 500 sheilds: Same as current
    LA: 10% run speed bonus, 350 health 600 sheilds: 950 total, higher sheild balance makes them more able to do hit and runs and absorbe some fire without eating into their health. Suporting their more lonewolf style.
    INF: 15% run speed bonus, 5% walk speed bonus, 250 health, 650 sheilds: 900 total, they will go down the easiest, but the high sheild ratio makes them best suited for long range cover hoping and stealth manuvers behind enemy lines.

no max run slower than everyone else, its not by a lot but you will catch them, and I frequently overtake maxs in a cross country foot zerg, or get overtaken when I am playing a max. Max run+ sprint is just slightly slower than regualar infantry runing over long distances, at least at my current level of sprint, which i think is rank 3. Though there has been talk about returning travel mode to the MAX
  19. vaxx

Light Assaults don't have access to Battle Rifles.
  20. Frosty The Pyro

my mistake then, thought the did, not that many folks actualy use BR though.