New Spawn room changes

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by faregoth, May 7, 2013.

1. HadesR

Trouble is you are still only forcing people out of the spawn rooms at the end of the battle .. It's not making people leave to defend the base.
    In essence it's not making people defend, it's just making them relocate .. Which only benefits the attacker.

Getting people out the spawn rooms to defend is what they need to address, give people more viable exits , exit the spawns into other buildings, Add teleports like the old Tech plants.

To me they are attempting to operate with a hammer rather than a scalpel and in doing so totally missing the problem .. So rather than fix the problem they remove it.
  2. faregoth

The issue is thier is way out of the spawn rooms. Its the tunnels and people dont use them :/
  3. tbot

The AMS at the hangar is a special situation, the spawnroom is so far away from any action that the AMS gives defender a better spawn position. Till the shields of the hangar go down and its duckshooting for the attacker as there is no cover in the hangar. An AMS is also very fast to destroy, some C4 or some rockets and its gone. The SCU needs time till it blows up, time where you need to defend that area, and even after that you will have to guard the SCU so defenders cant repair it anymore.
  4. UberBonisseur

I meant that the dynamic of hangar-AMS was more interesting than the SCU itself.

With the SCU, either the control point is already invaded (AMPs), either you can just ignore the points and aim for the SCU (Biolabs)
  5. HadesR

Tunnels were a good idea badly implemented .. They should have had a ramp exit like the entrance has .. They could have even made the spawn shield half way down the tunnel, allowing attackers down the opposite ramp making for fun battles.

But no .. I'm not sure what bright spark thought a blind lift into the unknown was a good idea for an exit :p
    • Up x 2
  6. tbot

Those dammit tunnels, i never know where i get out :p Like a labyrinth.
    IMHO they should be bi-directional, so when i took a wrong turn i can just hop inside and take a other route.
  7. tbot

Its as interesting as spawnroom camping, because that is what it is. Defender shoot from there and you cant touch them till the shields go down.

Maybe i misunderstood your whole argument, but to me that is the same stupid mechanic we have ATM with spawnrooms. And this whole discussion about dropping those damm spawnshields at some point is because people dont like to get shot by other people who are protected by a spawnshields.
  8. Tanelorn

Same here. The one way shields,, especially during the camping phase, are terrible.
  9. UberBonisseur

Actually it's relevant.

Discussing whether shields should drop or not is pointless, because it embraces the fact that if the SCU goes down you win.

No, if you hold the point long enough, you win.
    While you can still resecure from outside, taking down the SCU is like taking away 90% of the defender's strenght.

Anyway, 1-way shields are and will remain a problem; not because the 3 defenders stuck inside after the SCU has blown up are dangerous, but because some players prefer staying inside to grab quick kills instead of actively defending the points.
    • Up x 2
  10. faregoth

I agree, which is why i think defenders should not be able to attack from inside their shields, thier is no advantage from people sitting in thier
  11. Kon

you could simply make it so shields remain up like they do but cannot be shot out of, then add a purge field to destroy/deconstruct/redeploy any Turrets/Mines/Players that are trying to camp a spawn room when the base flips, while also making tunnels the primary route out of a spawn room ie 90% of players will use the tunnels because they are faster and more efficient way of getting around a base.

you could even take it a step further by putting the spawn room underground and making tunnels the ONLY way out of a spawn rooms having 12+ tunnel exits in random spots ( different for every base)

Because the tunnels are **** you know what word im using there, they need a complete overhaul to be awesome
  12. Lyel

Originally, I thought Higby just meant that taking down the SCU based on progress meant only the SCU, but now that I see that it also takes away the shield and painfield, I can happily say that I'd love to test that out :) it wont add much to the game, but it will finally give us a way flush them out entirely instead of spawn camping....
  13. Kon

if they couldn't shoot out of a spawn and had to step out to shoot , wouldn't that be a similar thing? without making it SCU down you all die, might as well make all defending faction /suicide when scu goes down and flip the base right there and then.

the tunnels should just be reworked into a proper tunnel network like i said

http://imgur.com/a/mjRZZ#0

something like this for major facilities with exits near primary objectives, so you can reuse the tunnels for quick travel across the base..

for biolabs, remove the teleporter rooms put in multiple side entrances through the dome because teleporter rooms have the same issues

imagine something like this

[IMG]
  14. HadesR

TBh thinking about it it's not going to make much difference .. People might have to redeploy 1-2mins sooner than normal
  15. Radec594

Also, leaving this as a note; according to the PTS, cap point counters are being re-added, they cut down the cap timer exponentially.
  16. Zaik

can't wait to check this out, hopefully we can get some serious playtesting going.
  17. Tekuila

Amazing change! No more shield heroes!
  18. McFatal

I think this is a good change. Spawn camping happens because it has too, most of the time you win a base fight before you actually capture it. If you can bring down the spawns completely, then you can set up and prepare for the next base or a counter attack. It's two sided though, the defending force gets benefits too.

Since the attacking force simply cannot take the next base before the original one caps, the defending force will have ample time to set up defenses, prepare ambushes, or make a counter attack in an organized fashion since they aren't trying so hard to funnel out of their spawn room.

One of the issues with the current design is that you have to constantly pay full attention to the spawn room because you have no idea if and/or when a ton of reinforcements could flow in and if you go to the outskirts of your base to regroup for the next assault or set up defenses in case of counter attack, then people in the spawn room can just come back out.

The other thing that this change would do is add better concurrent objectives, it creates a fork in the road for attackers. Should they attack the SCU, or the objectives? How will they manage their manpower to each objective? How will the defending team place priority when considering base cap or SCU?
  19. HadesR

These changes will change nothing in that regards ... Apart from making the duration shorter by a minute or two

For example if it plays out like it reads, an AMP stations SCU and Shields will drop at about roughly 1:30 left on the cap bar.
    So all people will do is stop shooting out the spawn, lay mines and redeploy 1:30 sooner than now.
  20. JebusRicecakes

i actually like this but what if we got rid of cap times completely and just made it so when you destroy the SCU you then have to destroy the spawn tubes and the base flips automatically? basically once the fight is over the base flips and you end up fighting for every inch of the facility.

it would need to take longer to do so defenders have time to react and perhaps add a few extra steps so i am sure there would have to be major changes to quite a few game mechanics to accommodate these changes but i kind of like the idea of removing the arbitrary timer and making it a more engaged process.
    • Up x 1