[Video] Analyze This: Improving Your Game Through Efficient Keybinds

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ItZMuRdA, May 7, 2013.

1. ItZMuRdA

The second episode in my Analyze This series is out and it focuses on keybinds -- with some added attention to using MMO mice and the ESDF movement layout, so if you play with either or both of those or are interested in hearing about them then this video should be especially useful to you. That said, the first episode on scopes and sensitivity received really good feedback and I've been wanting to put out a follow-up on the ever-so-important keybinds as well.

I hope you all enjoy and thank you for your feedback and support. If you like what you see please comment/rate/subscribe and follow the daily live stream in the link in my signature. I will also link a recent video commentary on my thoughts on improving SCU and spawn room design and mechanics that you can find below.

Thanks everyone, see you ingame!

2. ThePackage

Right click to run, the only way to play!
  3. ItZMuRdA

If you thought my binds were unusual, check out this guy. Middle mouse ADS right click to run crazy dude.
  4. Littleman

His binds are TAME.

Razer NAGA (buggy mouse that intermittently wants to throw my aim a good few kilometers off mark instantaneously)

2 is forward.
    5 is backwards.
    Left click is move left.
    Right click is move right.

C = shoot.
    X = aim.
    Z = melee.
    A = reload.
    F = use.
    G = grenade (D was accidentally pressed one too many times.)

Basically, keybinds are a personal preference thing. Moving from WASD to ESDF really is a good basic maneuver however.

Also: oh look... another video of idiots that are practically begging to be killed. Why are these people not on when I'm playing?
  5. ItZMuRdA

That sounds crazy, but whatever works for you -- of course they are a personal preference, not sure if you watched/listened/read everything but I definitely wasn't trying to preach my setup as superior, just offering advice to how people can setup their own preferred layouts.

I haven't had any issues with the Naga (I've had two of them, the original and the Epic, though I don't use it wirelessly), but as I said if I were to play CS/UT/Quake/something along those lines I'd probably opt for one of the original Logitech lower DPI mice that I grew up on.

Anyway thanks for the contribution!
  6. Littleman

No problem, it's a concept I conceived with someone trying to get into TERA coming from a click-to-move MMO. Instantly solved all my "ESDF and all the hotkeys simultaneously" problem while working out how this person can still get away with navigating with the mouse for the most part. FPS' aren't as notorious about having a three dozen keybinds that initiate another meaningless ability though, just MMORPG's. TERA just plays like a shooter navigation wise, and it sort of carried from there.

And yes, I was clumsy as hell at first. I wouldn't recommend playing FPS' online switching to this setup, provided anyone even dares. I know how scary change can be. Stick with bots (or TERA, it's only free to play, over sexed, slow, and forgiving as hell) until the scheme becomes comfortable, not that I expect even a few people to bother experimenting with this setup.
  7. ItZMuRdA

Interesting -- quite possibly the most unusual setup I've seen for an FPS at least, but thanks again for sharing.