Alienware M14x system lag on lowest settings possible

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Chunks, May 7, 2013.

1. Chunks

So I have an Alienware M14x. The specs are pretty decent for a Laptop. It's only 18 months old.
    I can play Battlefield 3 perfectly fine on Medium settings, however, Planetside 2 runs like crap.
    It used to be fine, then the FPS just started to slow down a lot, so I put it on the lowest settings possible. I downloaded GeForce Experience which tells me that my machine does not support the optimal settings as it does not meet minimum requirements.

The spec:
    - i7 2670QM 2.2Ghz
    - 4GB RAM
    - nVidia GeForce GT 555M
    - Windows 8 x64
    - Plenty of HDD space

I really don't understand why this game runs so poorly on these specs considering what the minimum systems specs for the game are. I've also seen people with the same system playing on High and getting 30-50 FPS.
    All drivers are up to date as far as I can see.
  2. ALeviathan

It's your CPU holding you back. Make sure shadows and PhysX off as well.
  3. Daikar

Did you lower the render quality to 50% aswell?
    Also try cleaning out the dust from the fans if you haven't done that.

But to be honest a laptop isn't meant for games since they get to hot.
  4. Chunks

I don't know a lot about Mobile CPUs, but I would have thought that this was a good one?
    It's at least on par with the recommended system specs (which I know is geared towards Desktop)
  5. BloodyPuma

Ive got Dell laptop, somehow similiar

-i think that CPU is a little bit faster
    -8 GB ram
    -555M - but this one was handpicked to be the best of 555M [there were 4 of them, from crappy, to 192 bit + other significant changes that impact game]

On total low [but render quality 100%] and maxed up FOV im getting now a damn stable 30 fps [even in massive fights], in warpgate 40-50 fps.

Actually patches made PS2 playable on this rig. Before Gu1 I could play this game on high on 20 fps, then for 1-2 GU the game was unplayable, after that - its decribed as above, the patch the better. Install this new NVIDIA beta drivers for mobile. It makes difference.

Im playing on this rig only during business trips so i do notice differences.
    On low you will be always CPU limited. Anything higher - always GPU limited - the game doesnt care that I can play other FPS with peachy settings ;)
  6. Chunks

Also, just tried cleaning out my fans but not tried it since.Just had to laptop in bits looking for the HDD (which is buried under everything!)
    I thought it may be HDD causing the issue as I get freezes for a few second sometimes, which is usually when something new loads on my screen.

If you think it's CPU then I may as well not do a planned upgrade to 8GB RAM and an SSD.
  7. BloodyPuma

I dunno man, but bying anything, will make you "rig" look more like mine, and its still crap. Playable - but only now, and only on a very minimum.
  8. BloodyPuma

Actually, I think last time a month ago - i got a meeting, old freands, alcohol and planetside 2. Everyone was using laptop. geforces from 660 to 555m, CPU from yours to the newest one - sadly, no one was able to play higher then a total low with 100% render quality. Laptops are just not fit for this game.
  9. Chunks

That's not good :(
    My stats are taking a pounding since I can only really play on lunch breaks at work at the minute.
    Just tried everything minimum and a res of 1024x768. Seems fine in warp gate but I'm working atm so can't try combat.
    Also updated to 320.00 Beta Drivers.