Three days with this armor buff and yeah, it was overdone...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by treeHamster, May 4, 2013.

1. treeHamster

People are spamming tanks left and right and they're nearly impossible to kill. They have no natural weakness and require groups to kill just one, then the driver just goes to the next territory away, and pulls a new one. When they cost more than a stick of gum and harder to get than morning wood, they really shouldn't be this strong.

Tanks are still to cheap to acquire and simple to operate to actually warrant the buff they were given. At 200 resources, you can spawn a lightning and go rampaging through bases without worry of being destroyed. At 200 air resources you can spawn an ESF and look to hope to find some infantry running around alone that can't shoot back.

Tried to get a tank earlier that was slightly straggling behind a tank column and barely got it while getting but with only a sliver left of health. Tried to attack a standing column, and was taken down before I could even get the tank down to half health (and it was a lightning).

ESF's are suppose to be there to take down Lib's and tanks. Well now they don't take down tanks and they still have to deal with all the AA from the ground.
    • Up x 8
  2. Laraso

Since the release of the Harraser in addition to the armor buffs, the game has become noticeably more vehicle oriented. Vehicles are everywhere, and it's increasing in intensity by the moment. It's really not very fun.

I don't think the problem here lies in the durability of the vehicles, though. It's how cheap and spammable they are. Before, the low cost was offset by the fragility of vehicles. Now, more and more vehicles are surviving battles, and it seems this tends to create a snowball effect where a tank zerg gets bigger as it captures more bases.

It's really dumb.
    • Up x 10
  3. Phrygen

it wasn't overdone at all.

adding 50-100 resources to tank pull would be fine though

edit: seriously... they created a huge open world. the majority of it is open land. vehicles are suppose to fill that open land, not just infantry dropping from base to base.
    • Up x 38
  4. Ranik

Yeah they could bandaid it by increasing Lightning / MBT cost for the time being.
    • Up x 6
  5. HazyW

Seems fine to me.
    • Up x 6
  6. LynxFury

I love the change. The harasser is fun fun fun. The huge tank battles are epic. Lots of combined arms = fun and differentiates this game from others like nothing else.
    • Up x 4
  7. vincent-

Oh god tanks requiring groups to take down!? Well that requires a nerf because a tank shouldn't TANK!!! It should blow up after a few rockets I send out so I can get sweet points!!!!

Now to be honest, how stupid are you?
    • Up x 33
  8. Epic High Five

Anyone who thinks there's too many vehicles has never used a Lancer.
    • Up x 4
  9. Ranik

Would perhaps bumping the resources costs of the Lightning to 275 and the MBT's to 350 be a good start?
    • Up x 3
  10. Sifer2

Actually it feels good where it is. It's not supposed to be all Infantry all the time. I do think Aircraft need a health buff too though. It seems like now Tanks are starting to matter again but Air still just gets blown up or chased off as soon as it arrives to any large fight.

That said yes vehicles have been too cheap, and spammable since beta.
    • Up x 11
  11. QuakerOatsMan

I agree.
    I find myself often wishing there were more vehicles around so I could shoot them down with my lancer
    • Up x 4
  12. darthfate

why you not happy about more killing exp?
  13. Tommyp2006

My C4 has noticed no difference.
    • Up x 14
  14. treeHamster

An MBT should be more like 500-600 in resources and lighnings should be 350-400. This is because they can be solo'd. A Lib is 350 but requires a dedicated pilot that doesn't exactly have an outstanding weapon (yes it's really powerful but has a very short range and aiming a Lib isn't exactly trivial like aiming a tank barrel is).

Right now they're easy to get (at least half of the bases allow you to pull a tank), super cheap, and can all be solo'd. Therefore they shouldn't be this strong. They'd need to bump the resource cost really high, or raise it and add a dedicated driver seat. The lightnings would have to have their cost raised or they're going to have that armor buff removed. While it's meant to be a solo tank, the ESF's are only 200 resources but they can be swat out of the sky with little effort.
    • Up x 1
  15. Sebastien

My favorite part is getting wrecked by Lancers and Vortex way outside of my engagement range.
    • Up x 1
  16. Ranik

Try to give an inch....... :rolleyes:
  17. soeguud

minus footsies. That said most combined arms fights seem to revolve around hordes of tanks and ESFs swarming a tower and defenders staying locked inside spawn.

But the fights across open ground are EPIC.
  18. DashRendar

Tanks didn't really need more armor so much as a resist to C4 and rocketpod damage. Those were the only things that really made any sort of threat to ground vehicles. Since the buff, one of those is still just the threat it used to be, and everything else that was just a punch in the gut before is now just a nick on the chin.
    • Up x 1
  19. Sebyos

Exactly my thought on the topic.

I've been spending the last few days redeploying from fight to fight trying to get in a nice infantry fight with very little success. Not only people move in massive vehicle zergs, but as soon as a side loses it can mass a huge amount of vehicles and win. I've seen too many great fights ruined by one side deciding to pull 20+ MBTS or 20+ ESFs and Libs. In my opinion vehicles are too spamable and good stock.

I think once way to do things would be to make MBTs horrible without upgrades. This way you wouldn't see a zerg of tanks or at least not for long. Take Max crashes for example. When you see a huge max crash, many of them are not upgraded and deal less dps not to mention they die much faster.
  20. dsiOne

Solution to tank spam problem: Make MBTs multimanned

Best case: tank spam cut in half at minimum

Worst case: more Lightnings than MBTs (but Lightnings are easier to handle than MBTs)

Everyone loves the Harasser, it's time to fix MBTs.

(or make the cert system like PS1's where you have to cert into a vehicle to even spawn it)
    • Up x 7