NC Falcon: now a totally different weapon

Discussion in 'MAX' started by technnosaurus, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Deathcapt

I caved and bought the latest pump action, but I think I'm done buying weapons with SC as they SOE keeps changing things too drastically. I'd rather see a 20% drop in dps, than see them change it from a shell to a rocket.
  2. technnosaurus

Now it's unviable against both. The previous Falcon was difficult to use against infantry (if it had been easy, you'd have seen a hell of a lot more dual Falcon MAXs running around; there were very very few) and underwhelming against armour.

In terms of the NC MAX's other weapons, as you've already noted later in the thread, their shotguns have been nerfed and were pretty useless even before that at anything over 15 meters.
  3. notyourbuddy

If the test server is any indication the NC Falcon is now 100% obsolete. If you haven't heard the NC MAX is getting a Phoenix/AV MANA turret hybrid rocket launcher. Currently it fires two high speed blue smallish rockets that you can guide with your mouse so its accuracy is ----ing incredible. Its only current downside seems to be a slightly slower reload time than the turd Falcon.

R.I.P. Falcon.
  4. Adept

I don't like the new falcon. The reload speed is worth nothing, since you need to relocate after each shot fired, given that half the world with a line of fire will be shooting at your last position.
    The big smoke hinders the aiming if both falcons are fired. Firing them individually is counterproductive, since it slows dps on the one fired first, so the not so optimal loadout would be pairing it with an AI weapon - thus getting gimped AI dps.

But I'm not giving up :)
    I'll learn turning the smoke into an advantage - perhaps setting up ambushes or something.

If only night vision attachments were made available for falcons ;)
  5. Disinclined

What the crap!?! Hope you are pulling our chain. Nothing like more easy-mode AV to further make vehicle combat miserable.

The original Falcon was one of the better AV weapons. Perhaps even the best balanced AV weapon in the game. It was similar to a burster. Alone, you could frighten away enemies and kill the dumb ones. Together you could do some major damage.
    If this third massive change goes through, alone you will be stupidly overpowered. Together, vehicles may as well pack up their bags and join Infantryside 2
  6. Dimachaerus

Don't believe the hype, it does less than a third of the damage of the new nerfed falcon. Takes three double salvos to kill a FLASH.
  7. toxs

LMAO The new falcon is trash. Can I get the old one back? At least I could kill infantry with the old one. Now if I try to fight a tank the engineer gets out of the tank and kicks my *** because he knows my weapons wont hurt him.
  8. Messaiga

Guys, the Falcon got buffed again, this time making dual falcons do equal damage to the default dumbfire rocket launcher, which means 850 damage per arm. The other Max AV weapons got buffed too, and they added new Max AV Weapons for long ranges. We got the best of them IMO. Lets celebrate! :D
  9. Pikachu

Yeah they increased damage to 875 and reduced reload time to 2.1. That is great but they still kept the rocket idea. If they would change back to grenade style then the falcon would finally be the way it should.
  10. Kroova

Basically, SOE made major changes to the Falcon, so that they could sell players the new AV weapons....
    Remember this is the company that released six shotgun "variants" that all compete for the same niche (2 semi, 2 auto, 2 pump)....
    • Up x 1
  11. SleepyWalker

IT IS A NEW ERA!

I think we should be happy with the change. Now a dual AV max is worth 2 HA when it comes to attacking tanks buffed up armor. This will be a great positive and a max ambushing a tank with 2 falcons will have a solid chance of defeating it (if 3 dual hits to rear leaves a tank with next to no health and on fire). I could see 2 dual hits connecting before the tank turns to mitigate damage, but by then you could very well have won the engagement.

A bonus is that they are very strong against infantry, with 850 damage direct hit. This means a one armed max would have a decent chance at taking out another max (since the falcon arm is only mitigated by 20%) and a flacon hit on infantry means the shotgun arm only needs a few pellets to finish off.

Over all I see this as the correct direction for max, but a big negative to heavy assaults as they are now only good in medium to large groups.

*edit* Oh, I read 850 for new damage, maybe it is 875, even better.... and reduced reload (did not remember seeing that! huge difference if true)
  12. Icedaemon

I am in the same boat. The old Falcon was a fun weapon to use. I could still walk shots by recognizing the explosions my shots made if I was outside the range I was comfortable in. The revamped RPG just feels off.
  13. Pikachu

Yes the buff is great. They just need to change it back into shells now.
  14. Riley5

I really enjoyed the old Falcon. Had a funny arc that was a blast to use once you figured it out. The new projectiles are dramatically slower, and if this is unintentional then it needs to be fixed pronto.

But my real issue here, if you can believe it, is aesthetic. The falcon arm doesn't look like a missile launcher. The firing sound doesn't sound like a missile being launched. (If you can hear it over the scream of the projectile igniting.) And that projectile sounds like the end of the world, yet the detonation is less than a meter in diameter and does almost no splash damage. What IS this thing?

The falcon arm looks more like a grenade launcher. It should be a grenade launcher.

It also kind of looks like a tank cannon. How cool would that be? Give the NC max the AP cannon currently available on the Lightning. Totally fits our theme of high damage, small magazine.
  15. Messaiga

Maybe not the damage of the AP Cannon on the lightning, but make the Projectile itself look like a smaller Lightning AP Shell, at the moment the damage and reload speed for it is great (875 per arm, not exactly sure but definitely one of the 2). Essentially in the time it takes to fire a dumbfire rocket launcher at a vehicle, you would have dealt double the damage in the same amount of time with the falcon. The projectile speed is currently supposed to be at 100 m/s I think, this is similar to the dumbfire rocket launchers and if the speed is currently not what it needs to be at, they could change it. I just checked the PS2 Spread Sheet, it shows the Falcon going at 50 m/s instead of the 100 they advertised so it is indeed a bug, maybe an upcoming hotfix will address this. The rocket drop is the same as dumbfire rocket launchers though, so it could end up being completely superior to dumbfire rocket launchers which is what the MAX should do for all 3 factions, likewise with the seperation between Ravens and Phoenix's.
  16. Intruder313

Nope, it's live and taking in money thus there's no way they can use the "Beta" badge anymore.
    That was a very successful ploy in Game of Tanks and so other developers have started hiding behind it to excuse incomplete / shoddy games.
    If the game is live and taking membership fees or other funds it's LIVE
  17. TeknoBug

I like the rocket Falcon over the grenade shell Falcon, the Falcon in PS1 was a rocket so it didn't really make much sense for the Falcon to be a grenade launcher.
  18. Messaiga

Replying to myself, anyway when I meant "Not exactly sure but definitely one of the 2" that was a remnant of an edit I made and forgot to remove that part, it is in fact 875 direct hit damage for 1 arm, when using both arms with falcons it adds up to 1750.
  19. Pikachu

I just had a duel with an AI vanu max using dual faclons I hit with 5 of 6 rockets at close range and it was barely so that I won. These stupid rockets are so freaking slow and I bet they do less damage to maxes than before.
  20. Messaiga

They actually do more damage to all targets than before, but there is a bug that makes the rockets not go as fast as they should. SOE needs to fix this.