Remove shotguns

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SmokeMcCloud, May 2, 2013.

1. SmokeMcCloud

The entire weapon class is a mistake that was corrected with the addition of the SMGs.

The time has come to remove the shotgun class of weapon.
  2. Xind

LOL. You came around a corner and got pump actioned, huh?

I'm pretty tired of shotguns myself, but a much more reasonable answer is to remove them from Heavy Assault. No Instakill weapon + Over shield. This will make LA the primary user of Shotguns and some Engis/Medics may also, but in the end that's a lot more reasonable and much more killable then someone who has an IK weapon and fundamentally double (ish) health.
    • Up x 4
  3. Flaeb

Shotguns In general are fine. Its just shotguns in this game are so easy to handle. Plus character models are so twitchy. Its easy to turn around suoer fast and fire. Which is kinda silly. Dont blame shotguns, blame game "mechanics"
  4. WUNDER8AR

While you're at it, remove sniper rifles
    • Up x 3
  5. Aegie

Just remove the game. Problem solved, you will never die to a shotgun again.
    • Up x 2
  6. Xind

You may be sarcastic, but I am so in agreement with you. Sniper Rifles are infinitely more annoying than Pump Actions. In the same category as AP/AI mines that have fallen through the terrain. (Bolt action only, of course)
    • Up x 2
  7. Chiggerbite

Just curious.... can any PS1 vets recall if they ever removed a weapon from the game? I didn't play PS1... but am curious if there's a history of that within the Planetside franchise....
  8. MajiinBuu

Shotguns are fine. L2 deal with them.
    • Up x 2
  9. MilitiaMan

No, they just tuned them.
  10. SmokeMcCloud

Are you pissed at the one shot kill thing? Cause you know we sniper rifle users gotta hit you exactly square in the head and can't be off by a single millimeter and it takes a very long time between each shot and is generally done at a distance which makes predicting (on twitchy models mind you) movement and placing shots difficult... and even so a sniper which has someone get close to him might be able to twitch shot you but unless it's a headshot (generally lucky twitches alot of times) it's still a knife / pistol fight situation.

Now the binary action offered by shotguns on the otherhand from very close range where missing is unheard of and the fire rates are insane and mixed with very high damage.... kinda need to be:
    A) Removed and replaced with the SMGs (which thematically, stylisticly and balance wise fits far better then shotguns ever could
    or
    B) Be severely toned down in either damage output or rate of fire.

I don't see why a heavy assault should get an option for one hit kills when he already has the shield which can prevent him from ever taking damage and highly effective LMGs which are arguably the best weapons out there as well as a plethora of rockets, both lock on and dumbfire, to deal with armor...

And you have a problem with infiltrators who have to aim, have a cloak that is of debatable usefulness and no options vs other vehicles except hope there is a terminal or turret you can hack nearby?

Ya, I think shotties should go. Give those who have them SMGs instead.
  11. Xind

So it's okay for you to one shot people, regardless of how hard you claim it to be, but not okay for others to one shot people?
    • Up x 3
  12. Zorro

Shotguns seem to be fine. If you are going up close against a shotgun-user, then either out-smart him (come from an unexpected direction) or avoid his shots either with cover or with dodging (such as strafing or bunny-hopping). Keep in mind that shotguns are all but useless at anything but close range (except with slugs, but that sacrifices some close-range potential). They are a bit too effective against nano-weave and MAX suits (all small-arms should deal less damage against MAXes, that is what they are for), but otherwise it is just pointless whining on your part.
  13. SmokeMcCloud

Considering every class has options against vehicles and automatic weapons capable dispatching people in an instant as well and also be usuable in just about any scenario and that the only weapons infiltrators can OHK people with are bolt action sniper rifles that leave them super vulnerable if they didn't get the OHK and also how they have less health and their ability is of dubious and debatable usability... because heavy assault shield is not of debatable usability, nor is a jetpack, AOE healing / reviving, or vehicle repair... yes, it is not ok for others other then the infiltrator to OHK.

If we are to be utterly without options against armor, we have to have a niche in being anti-infantry types then, or else give us a viable anti-vehicle utility (medics can have C-4... MEDICS). In order to fill this roll, we have to be able be able to skillfully dispatch an opponent in one fell swoop, and in order to do that we have the bolt action sniper rifle headshot. An all or nothing, super high risk and skill cap shot that will either pay off big or do nothing at all, and if the opponent was close enough, promptly get you killed.

Shotties are difficult to miss with based on a wide cone of fire and proximity to intended targets. Due to the lack of range (increased size of target), lack of trajectory calculation, lack of timing calculation and complete situational awareness (no iron-sighting required) make this class of weapon non-deserving of the coveted one hit kill.
  14. HazyW

I love pump action shotguns, they make people so mad. It's a wonderful feeling, getting hate PMs.
    • Up x 2
  15. Xind

Your argument boils down to your perception of ease of use of the shotgun versus your perception of difficulty of use for Sniper Rifles.
    What if I feel the other way around?
  16. ironeddie

I needed a laugh thanks
  17. WaiZen

Meh... What's wrong with shotties when you, infiltrators, have the use of things like Wraith-flash, and SMG's with that cloak. Either way, most of the player-base have terrible aim with shotties (Excluding Full-Auto's). Just learn to deal with it.
  18. smokemaker

NO.
    • Up x 3
  19. SmokeMcCloud

Wraith flash, because 12 second dubious cloak on foot just wasn't enough to really infiltrate beind the lines.

Cloak is of dubious and debatable usefullness, I've killed hundreds of glass men.

SMG w/ that rocket pack? SMG with that shield.

Bitter experience has taught me that simply doing nothing about a bad situation leads to a situation getting worse. I have also learned that if enough people feel the same way and get behind the idea, then change can happen.

You deal. I'll do better.
  20. Pikachu

Oh ffs. I never had any issue with shotguns.
    • Up x 2