Should heavies get utility?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Bill Hicks, May 1, 2013.

1. Bill Hicks

Since they think other classes need to be more competitive with heavies in terms of killing power. Shouldn't heavies get an actual non offensive/defensive ability ?

Here's some ideas.

Warrior aura: when shields are popped everyone in a 5 m area get 100% faster shield regen

Explosive absorb: When shields are popped all splash damage is absorbed by how much shield the heavy has in a 5m area around the heavy.

Heavy packs: the heavy can re supply tanks and planes.
  2. Van Dax

They have utility: Anti-everything, best gun and rocket launchers that are the bane of everything alive and not.
    • Up x 8
  3. wingspan

Except for supplying a random tank in a good spot that doesn't have an ammo sunderer, everything else isn't worth investing in.

If players wanted to get killed trying to buff, heal, or resupply teammates they'd play medic or engineer. Sorry man.
  4. KnightCole

We really dont need AoE explosive magic spell like abilities. And a Heavy resupplying a Tank? really? just no lol. Because in addition to 400 MG rounds a rocket a LMG, grenades my armor and a shield im packing 150, 20mm, 50cal and a wide assortment of other heavy vehicle ammo? I know this game isnt reality, but somethings just dont make sense in any setting.
  5. tutzdesPS

I think HA have too much utility already. Too many people play HA. Giving the class new abilities will attract even more players, so devs would nerf its other aspects. There are already upcoming nerfs to LMGs. I love my SAW and don't want more nerfs.
    • Up x 1
  6. Bill Hicks

Im not a dev but I would imagine popularity of a class/profession/skill/etc is a poor way to balance a game.

We need utility to keep up.

i place a card facedown and end my turn
  7. JPJones

I think it is too early to tell how the weapon changes will affect the heavy. One of the biggest problems with this game is that changes aren't often given enough time to settle in to see how players adjust. Furthermore, you knee-jerked straight out of the gate on this one without even logging on to the test server. How are we supposed to take your opinions seriously? Stop crying wolf and have a little patience, Bill!
  8. JPJones

Ideally, no, but in reality, players gravitate towards the most powerful feeling classes. Population spread by class can be a good indicator that there is some sort of imbalance present. It's a lot more complicated than just that, but population statistics can't be ignored.
  9. eldarfalcongravtank

you know, utility auras are really not a bad idea. perhaps we could give some classes a specific aura ability.

heavy assault - resistance aura: all infantry units nearby (10 meter radius) get a temporary damage resistance against attacks by 10% (for 6 seconds)

max - berserk aura: all infantry units nearby (5 meter radius) get a temporary damage bonus of 5% for their weapons (for 10 seconds)

light assault - agility aura: all infantry units nearby (10 meter radius) have faster sprint of 12% (for 15 seconds)

medic - healing aura: restores 50% of total health of nearby infantry units (4 meter radius)

engineer - restock aura: restores 25% of total vehicle ammo of nearby ground vehicles (20 meter radius)
  10. JudgeDeath

How about shieldwall or thunderclap ? Maybe rend ?
    Maybe add in rage meter that when full allows you to shoot 2 LMGs the same time untill the berzerk timer runs out.

I really dislike the idea of these magical nanite "auras" and I have a feeling calculating those and the affected would be rather bad in a towerfight with +400 people. Sounds like extra lag.
  11. Bill Hicks

Population statistics cannot be used to balance the game, which was my point. They can be used to point in a direction, but ultimately have no weight in balancing. Warlocks and rogues are considered the best pvp class for high level arenas in world of warcraft and yet they are one the lowest pops. People just like the heavy playstyle and the fact that there is so much vehicle spam
  12. Bill Hicks

Are you serious? magic in a game where I can spawn infinitely, have infinite ammo packs, spawn vehicles out of thin air? THAT'S YOUR POINT? What about the medic healing aura? we already have shieldwall and thunderclap in the form of concussion grenades. You are playing a type of fantasy: science fiction.

Get some imagination. People like you are the reason that everyone is trying to make a COD clone. 2 weapon only- fight people in a desert -drek
  13. Mekhazzio

Nah, Shieldwall is the new NC Max ability. The HA special is more of an old vanilla hard-cast Pyroblast.

Personally, I consider the ability to damage vehicles in any practical manner at all to be a pretty valuable team ability. AV MANA turrets have too many strings attached to be useful in most scenarios, mines are a niche gimmick, and C4 only works on total idiots. If you want the job done in a way that doesn't suck, you need HAs to do it.

...or your own vehicles, but down that game design path lies no reason to play infantry at all.
  14. JudgeDeath

The thing with the scifi themed games is that they atleast try to have some grasp of reality and provide logical reasons for things to be as they are. Take it too far and it hurts the suspension of disbelief.

Best thing about PS2 is that its not either space-cod nor is it trying to be space-wow.

You completely missed the point about such aura mechanics prolly being rather server and client heavy.
  15. Alarox

Heavy is fine. Everyone has their roles.

------------------

Heavy is anti-infantry and anti-vehicle. Shields to fight infantry, rockets to fight vehicles.
    Light Assault is anti-infantry. The jet pack allows them to flank and strike from above.

Heavy is direct, light assault is about positioning.

Engineer repairs vehicles and resupplies ammo to allies. They can also get anti-vehicle or anti-infantry utility, but rather limited in comparison to a Heavy.

Medic is about supporting everyone and keeping allies in the fight instead of needing to respawn. Like LMGs, assault rifles are versatile.

Infiltrator has four roles. Anti-infantry, scouting, literally infiltrating while being hard to catch, and hacking terminals.

------------------

So yeah, HA has utility. Being the #1 defense against vehicles and being the most powerful infantry.
    • Up x 1
  16. Bill Hicks

suspension? why is having a shield absorb explosives, magic? IC why you talked about magic. The names I gave the abilities

ok instead of warrior's aura how about nanite burst capacitors ? upon using his shield generator he emits a restorative field that resupplies friendly shields.
  17. Bennybones

We have utility. There is no reason to go fiddling with our class when there are others that need more attention. Though we should have LMGs looked into a little.
  18. JPJones

Fair enough. I still think you're overreacting to speculation.
  19. JPJones

I take it back. Now you're starting to sound like the guys I used to play P&P RPGs with. Nanite Burst Capacitors? Warrior Aura? That's pure geek-out gold right thar!
  20. Konfuzfanten

Thats not utility, thats versatility.

LMG's aint the best guns in the game. They are good guns, but carbines/shotguns are up there, if not better. If i could choose between a serpent/vx6-7 vs Orion, i would go with the serpent on my heavy.

The default rocket launcher is good against slow moving MAX's and vehicles that are very close.

On topic:
    The heavy doesnt need utility, we got the best versatility in game right now.
    Hard to kill, top-end gun, best AV option, best 1vs1 class.