Can't kill anyone?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Nexe4, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Geomancer

Okay. Since everyone says "learn to aim." any advice from the pros? Cause i get the drop on guys. Shoot them in the head. Get three or four hit markers and then they spin and ace me. When it's all said and done they have maybe half shields gone. I'm not whining. I know I suck. I just have no idea what the hell I'm doing wrong. So any advice that isn't just 'learn to aim'? Maybe something genuinely useful?

I'm playing TR but I've also played Vanu. Same thing both factions.
  2. Vertabrae

Are you getting hitmarkers when shooting at them? If your burst firing, are you holding the trigger down just a little bit too long maybe? Just that extra little bit can cause your shots to miss by inches. If not, it could be FPS, or slight lag. If they are moving, are you compensating for bullet velocity?

Don't get frustrated. Keep us updated and chances are good we will figure out the issue mate.
    • Up x 1
  3. Geomancer

I am probably bursting too long and my instinct is to aim center of mass like you are supposed to... except in games like this of course. The problem is that I haven't played an FPS since... let me see.

The Beta of Planetside (1).

So I don't expect to be killing like crazy or anything but at the same time I'm getting five or six hit markers on people and it doesn't seem do any damage to them.

That said. Yesterday was better. Today just sucked so much I was actually getting pissed and most of the time I really don't care because I'm having fun. Not so much today. I suspect that part of it is that i don't move enough while shooting but I don't get how people do the wobble walk and still hit anything, let alone perfect headshots from fifty meters.

As i think about it I also think it may have had something to do running into people rolling around with the Mauler a lot tonight when i have the stock TRAC-5. I should probably at least get a new sight for it...
  4. Vertabrae

With certain weapons, I try to time my bursts. Fire and count a quick 1..2.. and cease fire. I'm the type who holds the trigger down and prays, which is NOT a good thing. To be honest I think I panic a little, especially if it's a surprise fight. I come around a corner that I just saw 3 of my guys go around, and there is some LA landing in front of me. PANIC, wave the mouse all over wildly, hold the trigger and PRAY!! This usually ends in my death.

That's a good 60% of my deaths right there. probably more. I've played around with mouse settings and such. I still panic and can't hit my target. I'm better at a mid-long range. However my "loads of lead downrange" playstyle doesn't work well there either. So timing my bursts, especially now I usually run a SAW, helps a ton.

As for the Trac-5, think about a foregrip fore it, that helps more than you might think. I find the recoil is actually harder for me to manage with a sight on a weapon, so I only use one on my EM6 which has terrible iron sights. But see if one helps you.
  5. FlayvorOfEvil

I just spray with my laser sights. If you have trouble killing people up close, perhaps you can invest in a sniper rifle?
  6. Vertabrae

Not sure if this was directed at me or the OP. If me, I have the RAMS. 50, Longshot and Parallax on my toons. Love them all, but I get kind of bored sniping. Plus my "hold breath and steady aim" tends to run out right as I am about to shoot. By the time I can use it again my target is on the move again. I get frustrated easily at times like that and usually end up smoking way to many cigarettes.

As for laser, again "wave mouse wildly/panic and pray" I still seem to miss. Wish I could find a way to calm myself down. But I'm jumpy even out of game. My dog knocked his metal food bowl down the stairs earlier and I probably jumped 2 feet.
  7. vilehydra

Don't stand still, always move side to side a little, It can help throw off the extra bullet or two. Also get comfortable with your gun of choice, it will reward you greatly.

I've been playing since early in closed beta and after I found the carv I never left it. After you get a feel for it learn at what distances you need to use burst-fire or when you can go full auto. Again with the carv-9 I've found that even at extreme ranges it's still it's most effective when firing in 3-round bursts. At close ranges under 30m it can go full auto.
    Yet I have no clue which end the bullets come out of a trac-5. When I do use it situationally I usually am much poorer with it.
    Weapons familiarity will help you more then any trick will.

Also make sure you get the first hit, because of flinching mechanics it throws off the other persons aim.
  8. Vertabrae

I am reasonably sure the bullets come out the end that I put my shoulder against. At least I usually die after firing it, so that must be it. :p
  9. Erik

Have you certed out weapons? It will make a difference if you are having trouble. You frame rate makes a tremendous difference as well. It gets much harder to kill if you have bad frames or lag.
  10. Geomancer

I took a little time. Hopped back on and things were better. I tried more or less using the gun like a semi-auto and had better luck. I'll try learning to wobble since that does seem to help when I remember to do it. As much as anything i think it was that the push I was in was on the winning end of things this time. Earlier we were just losing and losing and losing...

I try to think of it as a target rich environment but that only gets me so far when the air is made out of bullets.

I also think that the fact that i was respawning with zero HP half the time probably added to my frustration and the fact that Jumpjet progression isn't working right (and I don't have level six) also gets annoying after a while.

So yeah. Thanks for the advice. Maybe I can even learn to aim one of these days. :D
  11. Siilk

This could be the source of your problems. When I find myself fighting at really low FPS(15 an below), game client becomes unable to track bullet hits consistently.
    I recommend you to try fighting with different FPS and see if there will be any difference in your performance. If can't have 40-50+ FPS, for that purpose of testing you can lower your ingame resolution to the lowest possible, set all graphics options to low and maybe even temporary reduce the rendering distance in the useroptions.ini.
  12. Soldiermandude

13. FlayvorOfEvil

OP, he seems to be the one who has problems killing.
  14. Jex =TE=

OP, What's your FPS - that can be a huge factor if they're low enough.
  15. Geomancer

Tried more or less using the TRAC-5 as a semi-auto, so really short bursts of fire, and I have to admit it killed last night. Of course this was post patch so who knows what the real reason is. While I know it isn't good by most peoples standards there was a point last night where I was going 1 to 1 on my kills to deaths. Terrible? Sure! Hell of a lot better than my usual .5 though. :D Even had a few five or six kill streaks. Which were promptly countered by a Sniper making me his personal project. :p

Regardless it was a lot of fun and I can't WAIT till I can afford C4 and a Shotgun. :)
  16. Jurav

Yeah, I think you just need a weapon upgrade. Especially on the Vanu side. If you get yourself a higher tiered weapon, you will do alot more damage per hit vs. the default weapons.

There alot of posts here in the forums about ideas on what weapons are nice to use. Do a little research and get the one you like.
  17. Jagdwyre

Good to know they are aware of the situation, I threw 50 rounds into a guy standing still at 10 yards away and didn't even get a single hit marker, and earlier had an ESF which a fired multiple mags of a rotary into a liberator(you could literally see every single round physically impact his fuselage) and received 1 or 2 out of 25 hit registrations.

Also, sad to see this thread turn into a argument about weapons and skill.
  18. Geomancer

Is there an argument at the moment? This all seemed pretty civil.
  19. sage1210

it base on range too. if you shoot some one over 50m with carbine it very common for 1 mag 1 kill even you do some direct hits. but if you shoot some one closer than that or some one is at 10-20m but still can't kill. this is unregister shot, another very common for this game very unlucky time for you. it happen on me to. i do around 10 kill streaks for a while before run to another player that i dump a whole mag on his back at 2-3 steps away from me. but...he just not die and turn back to kill me. some kind of lag compensation issue.

but in your case you may try to play in another server but do some ping test first.