What can be done about the 4th faction?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by WhiskyColson, Apr 27, 2013.

1. WhiskyColson

Now I've been playing on and off since the closed beta but I hold no claim to be some sort of expert or paragon of Planetside, but I hold that the 4th faction is harming game play for smaller outfits and pubs. Especially since the introduction of Alerts.

Allow me to explain; I'm not complaining about the 'saboteurs', annoying as it is they in themselves are not game breaking. What's really hurting the small outfits and pubs is that all the large outfits as scared that anything the broadcast in command or orders will be relayed to the enemy. This means that the pubbies often aren't used to their full potential nor are they experiencing the game to the full.

We run a small outfit that field about a squad but we often team up with larger platoons or get our own on the go made up of randoms. But because we are not fully recognised its often hard to get a bigger picture or find out where we'd be most use simply because trust has become a premium commodity.

In regards to out of game alliances we'd rather not have to join a large alliance because 1) We prefer to keep some degree of autonomy and 2) We are affiliated with another gaming community and like hanging out in our own TS.

There is then the added annoyance of that there are people that will simply swap sides when it's apparent the fight isn't going in their favor. It's one thing retreating to another server, but now they stay on the server and the effect snowballs. This is certainly more apparent during alerts.

If it's here to stay, I ask server high commands at least issue defense orders to make use of the pubs and small outfits that aren't part of the alliances/high command. While anyone with 300 points in leadership at BR10 could, it's best if the more organised guys did so.

TL;DR I'd rather see it gone, but at least issue defense orders if you are afraid of letting people know which way you are attacking. Pubs are your friends...
  2. Nocturnal7x

1. An account can have a character of each faction on the same server.

2. Account level unlocks

SOE does not want to prevent people from playing the 4th faction. SOE strongly encourages it. SOE is ruining the game.
  3. Skippytjc

#1 SOE introduces something...people buy Station cash.
    #2 Everybody complains the new item/dynamic is op or unfair or broken
    #3 SOE either nerfs it or ignores the issue.
    #4 Repeat the cycle.
  4. Rudette

Look at your account. Put yourself in "4th faction" shoes.

What part of your brain says:

"The $100+ equivalent of SC I've dumped into my main character and 250+ hours spent grinding unlocks for my characters and weapons means nothing me! LOLOLOLOL. I'm going to roll a new guy and throw more cash at SoE! More importantly, I'm going to ditch my job, my house, my life to squeeze in more time to grind for those passives and abilities!"

You might have some people that casually dabble in either or. You might have some people who even juggle a couple characters with some modicum of success. And good for those people. They earned it. At the end of the day though one or the other is going to be more important. But really? This fourth faction stuff is nonsense. It's like we didn't have enough to ***** about, so we invented some new faceless terror to ceaselessly whine about.
    • Up x 2
  5. Zorro

Real-life armies have to be careful of enemy spies and informers. I think this just adds another realistic aspect. All this game needs is a better chain of command so that information is trickled down to the officers.
  6. MikeyGeeMan

Only one thing if your that worried. One character per server.
    • Up x 2
  7. WhiskyColson

@Rudette;
    Certainly, I have a couple of alts I play if I feel like mixing it up but these were created before being able to put them all on the same server. I think decrying it as a faceless terror is a bit much. It is my observation that command isn't as active as it used to be and from what I've picked up this is a direct result of having multiple characters on the same server. This makes things worse for the more casual player, and if they don't see how awesome things can be in an organised outfit, they may quickly get bored. Again, just my opinion on the matter.

Thanks for the link to the post. I shall look it over. As for adding to the game, I'm on the fence with that. While some games/MMOs reward players for metagaming (think EVE) I generally hold that games should be played with the rules and mechanics in place. Part of the challenge is working within these limitations to produce results. Should some sort of mechanic for spying be put in place then brilliant, you can't easily dispose of a 'traitor' as it stands now.
    • Up x 1
  8. KRE8R125

EXACTLY.

It goes from problem to problem:
    "SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE ABOUT THE SAW!! ITS OP!!"
    "SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE ABOUT THE MAGRIDER!!!"
    "SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE ABOUT ONE HIT KILL WEAPONS!!!" (This one is currently on the front page as I write this)
    "SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE ABOUT THE BIOLAB BATTLES!!!"
    "SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE ABOUT THE ESRL!!!"
    "SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE ABOUT HACKERS!!!"
    "SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE ABOUT THE CLOAK!!!"
    "SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE ABOUT THE BASE LAYOUTS!!!"
    "SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE ABOUT THE MAP PROGRESSION!!!"
    "SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE ABOUT SHOTGUNS!!!"
    "SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE ABOUT K/D RATIO!!!"
    "SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE ABOUT EVERYTHING THAT KILLS ME!!!"
    "SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE ABOUT ALL THE VEHICLES EXCEPT THE ONES I USE!!!"
    "SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE ABOUT EVERYTHING I DONT LIKE ABOUT THIS GAME AND EVERYTHING I LIKE NEEDS TO STAY THE SAME!!!"
    "I SPEAK FOR THE MAJORITY! LISTEN TO ME! I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT IT TAKES TO FIX THIS GAME!!!"

The amount of drama and complaining on this forum is disgusting. However, I still believe it is the vocal (and immature) minority that does it so it doesn't bother me that much in the end. It isn't like some of this stuff doesn't (or didn't) need to be taken care of but good grief, some of the things that people will whine about is just unbelievable. I have invested quite a lot of time into this game I can say that a large portion of the "issues" being complained about are not actually "issues" at all. They are just people blowing off steam because they don't like getting one shot in the face with a shotgun at 5 meters. Well who does? But it's part of the game.

Oh and this response isn't necessarily directed at OP, who did at least provide an idea for helping fix the problem he suggest exists.
    • Up x 2
  9. Chiss

If people want 2 characters on the same server, they just make a 2nd account. It's FREE!
    • Up x 1
  10. Nocturnal7x

yea, but at least they have to unlock stuff again, and swap accounts which is too much trouble for a lot of people. 2 roadblocks SOE have removed, you don't need to relog and you don't need to unlock certain things again, more probably to come.
  11. Tommyp2006

Of course they do, they make a lot of money on 4th factioners, because they'll buy weapons on multiple characters. Why else would they give you the option for MORE than 3 character slots? Did anyone even ask for that? Even a single person?
  12. Advanced Darkness

yeah its not that nothing can be done about the people youre speaking of its that nothing will be done about it.

The same cool down for swapping btwn factions on the same server we had in PS1 could have been used here, but it wasnt and it wont.

Anyway its too late for all that.
    • Up x 1
  13. MyOdessa

Problem is, SOE merged servers. I created 3 char on 3 different servers on day one of PS2 release. I spend time and thought out where I wanted to play each char, but SOE merged Jaeger and Waterson and now I have 2 char on the same server. I am still not too happy about it.
    The way population of PS2 going, there are going to be more mergers in the future, I may end up with all 3 char on one server.
  14. Nocturnal7x

time to add a cooldown soe. do it.
  15. vastaitku

Don't worry, we ignore the orders anyway.
  16. Flarestar

This is why community opinion driven development is generally A Bad Thing.

Check the forums of any major MMO. They will be 99% composed of precisely this. And unfortunately, developers have gotten into the habit of listening to them.
  17. AxisO7

They will not remove multiple characters on the one server. After people have spent money on them, they can't. They made a huge mistake allowing it in the first place, but once that door was opened it can't be closed unfortunately.

They simply must put in a limit though. Once you log into one character, you can't get onto another on the same server for 2 hours.
  18. Advanced Darkness

And on population and merging it took yrs ...yrs for that to happen in PS1. Not months, years and when that happened it deserved to happen because they didn't fixed the exploits and bugs so people left.

When it comes to issues that can be resolved and nothing happens that gets on a players last nerve and they're gone.
    That's goes for traitors and disloyal players who freely swap factions and for people who'll never be good players and only use exploits.
  19. ItsJustDash

I have a character for each faction on my server. In no way shape or form I am there to cause problems with outfits. I enjoy making friends and playing the damn game. I am primarily NC and will stick to NC in major operations, but some nights I want to have a change of pace so I play as TR or VS. Playing the same faction everyday can get old and bland so I mixed it up. Why did I choose the same server you say? Same feel, I don't have to adjust a little for latency, plus I know the community somewhat and enjoy them.