MBTs need a health buff and dedicated crews.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Goldoche429, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Goldoche429

This would be excellent.
    • Up x 1
  2. Craeshen

Tanks do need a health buff as well as the prowler's *** end needing a redesign to make the back hit box smaller.

Even the vanguards rear hitbox is smaller.
    • Up x 1
  3. Van Dax

I agree with OP entirely. Less zerg more skill! and those who say taking out tanks in a group is hard are lying. I'm a crappy esf pilot but even I can take out a mbt every pass, I stopped using rocketpods 'cause it's ridiculous.
    • Up x 2
  4. NietCheese

Nope, that was all capping points. I was killing sundys, other tanks, keeping their infantry off the point.
    The people who complain about the infantry vs armor battle* are just bad tankers imo.

In a strategic FPS, a tank that roles into an infantry infested base first, and without support should die. You need infantry by your side to beat a large number of infantry defenders, OR you simply whittle them down and gradually push in OR you use a different angle.

* not including AV turrets
  5. NietCheese

Infantry aren't a hard counter them in every situation. The striker is TERRIBLE most of the time, because the poor sucker has to remain more or less still while locking.

The occasions where infantry will not be rolled by tanks and the tanks have met a serious hard counter:

1) Striker clusters on ridges at 300m kinds of ranges. Hard to get past, you will need help
    2) AV turrets at very long ranges.
    3) AV turrets/Strikers on top of air pads at bases like Crossroads. Very hard to approach because direct hits are needed. Not impossible though.

You just need to use combined arms approaches there. Take your own infantry. Be cautious and most of all, learn to play. Tanks do not need a buff, people need to play smarter.

Once again, none of that includes hoverspammers and long range AV turrets which need serious adjusting.
  6. EvilPhd

7. Cade

So, you want it to be like how it was in Planetside 1.
  8. Rentago

Everyone needs to look at the first planetside.

Yes MBTs need to be changed, all that solo tanking should be done on the lightning, people want to use MBTs? Get a crew.

Why? You are ruining the game, period. You can say you aren't, you can say its more fun, you can say that pigs fly, but I don't give 2 ***** about your lame *** call of duty opinion.

Give the TR 2 gunners and one dedicated driver. WHY? They are all about dakka, and in the original one guy controlled the secondary, another controlled the main cannons. Can you imagine this **** in lockdown? Suddenly lockdown won't suck dick now would it?

The NC need one dedicated Gunner, and one dedicated Driver. WHY THE **** DO I SAY THAT? NC have a BIG GUN, and should focus on the fact that they only need to use their BIG GUN, and that same BIG GUN should hurt a lot in one shot, sure we can give them a secondary gunner, but then that would encroach on empire unique traits, but you guys don't care now do you?

The VS always focused on being very unique, flexible, and the fact that they had alternatives made them strong.

They should continue the tradition of being a 2 man tank, but the driver should also be allowed to use a gun, however it should be the SECONDARY, not the MAIN gun of the tank.

The gunner should use the main gun for the magrider, and that will balance it out so they can't drive it alone using something like PPA and not have a gunner to use the main heavy hitter of it.

SUDDENLY THE GAME WILL BE BETTER

NO REALLY THE QUALITY GOES UP, CALL OF DUTY/BATTLEFIELD BABIES WILL CRY THAT THEY CANT ONE MAN TANKS AND WILL BE TOLD TO GO CRY TO THEIR LIGHTNING. SUDDENLY LESS TANK SPAM.

quit being babies, this isn't rocket science, I could single handedly fix this game, its just they want to cater to every single person who they shouldn't be.
    • Up x 3
  9. Goldoche429

Everything this guy said.
    • Up x 2
  10. Badgered

That's ******** and you know it. The reason most Liberators run 2/3 is because you can hot swap from belly cannon to tail gunner in mid-flight. In PlanetSide 1 you had an animation for exiting and entering vehicles, so doing something like this was much harder by ground and never was possible by air IIRC.

This game needs more crewed vehicles, not less. MBTs should be crewed and substantially buffed. I agree with the OP with the exception of their proposed Magrider changes. The stationary frontal cannon can be weakened by being replaced with the secondary gun options and the top turret can rotate 360 degrees and use the current main cannon options. Problem solved.
  11. IvanDrago

This ship has sailed and you are not going to be reducing the owner of the MBT to a glorified chauffeur for the gunner. Maybe they will release a super heavy tank that requires a driver and main gunner, but the driver better get some sort of MG to use.
  12. Rentago

yeah now that you bought it up, you couldn't change seats from inside the vehicle in planetside 1, you needed to actually get out and then get back into the seat you want, performing the animation of exiting and entering the animation.

In this one they got lazy about it, I can understand why, because they'd need to design the vehicles to actually function from the inside and out allowing people to open up hatches and such to get inside in realistic and possible ways.

I don't know how you get inside a magrider, I definitely don't know how you get the gunner in it, but in the first they had a hatch for the driver and a back door for the gunner. The NC and TR practically stayed true to their original design, but not the VS, and from the ground up I don't think they made their designs actually work as something you can climb in and out of without some changes.

Removing the need to have crews and team play in this game while having MORE people than previous seems weird to me, but after seeing how this game has been playing out, I noticed they did it to comfort the people who'd they'd hope to collect the most money from.

At an honest stand point, with more players you'd think they'd make things require more team work, but instead they figured it would be better for each person to each be a lone wolf capable super soldier and remove team work, which I recall them heavily frowning upon, claiming that it was a serious problem with Planetside 1.

Then we got Higby and Smedly on twitter saying how its more fun this way, its like they bash something then do much worse and blow off all their contradictions in an up selling attempt to continue to market the game and ignore all criticism.

Still though, when enough people ***** something budges, its only those losers on the forums who think licking boot will always get them what they want, settling for less is the best thing to do.

"Oh but they said they worked hard, so you shouldn't be so mean!"
    "Oh but its a beta surely massive changes will happen to undo what they've done!"

The problem is if you don't complain I'm sure they wouldn't make it a point to do ANY of the things they've done so far, and even in the beginning they really acted like they had no plans to release other continents and acted as if ONE consistent battlefield was good enough, they added continents because people kept harassing to add more. Along with sanctuaries and continent locking being considered dumb because they slowed combat down, and the way bases are made now to allow battles to not stop but keep moving forward.

My point? You'll get walked all over by business men who aim to make money and not give one damn about its consumers. Videogames are a business now, you want to let them walk on you like a doormat because you'll settle for less or even broken? That is fine, just don't drag me with you, go do it on your own time, don't defend what you have no clue what you are defending.

I plan to push their *** to work like their lives depend on making this game all it should be, not what minimum they need to make money.

And it all starts with me stretching Smedly's *** into every opening until he reinvents the door.
  13. Chioxin

Hehe, and I'm not trying to be a *****, that's just what I saw. Regardless, I'd really rather it be that way too. I really love to drive, and focus on that, and feel that having to shoot a main turret makes my ability to drive a lot worse. I can see this when using my Lightning, and I drive/fly better when when it's my main focus and someone else is doing the gunning.

I'm all for tanks being a 2 man operation, like the Liberators, and receiving a buff to accommodate that.
    • Up x 1
  14. iccle

Looks like the devs agree that MBT need more survivability.

https://twitter.com/mhigby/status/327621145257967616

Personally i think that infantry vs MBT is about where it should be. ESF rocket pods should require at least 1 reload to kill and AV mana turrets should have slightly shorter range.
  15. loleator

I was watching the stream of the person with most kills on vehicles in the world. He was alone 90% of the time. He even went with liberators as 1/3.

The ammount of people that would make good use of a crewed vehicle would be 15 hooked players per server withing great outfits/with equally hooked friends. We don't need vehicles that require skype (ingame voip has too much delay) and skilled friends, and them wanting to go with you, wanting to go where you want, and online when you want. That sucks and it's impractical for the majority of the playerbase.
  16. Goldoche429

Then the lightning is for you my friend!

I'm hearing the same arguments over and over again.
  17. loleator

You can't expect to make a vehicle that only 15 people per server will use effectively. Forget about it. Leave MBTs alone.
  18. Badgered

WAY more than fifteen people used them effectively in PlanetSide 1 and back then you actually had to cert into being able to use them. Your argument is invalid. More teamwork, not less. Make tanks strong but require coordination to use.

Also, the sole reason people can do 1/3 Liberators is because you can (stupidly) hotswap seats in mid-flight. In PlanetSide 1 there were animations that prevented people from bailing effectively or switching seats in mid-combat. We need this again as well.
  19. hostilechild

They are suppose to be putting tank armor back to its former glory. ESF will no longer wipe them in one pass and it will take an extra AV rockets to blow them up.

I suspect ESF will also get a armor buff in the coming months to compete with increased AA.

I mostly play infantry and don't mind it, as right now its rather easy to annihilate armor columns and ESF squads when your in an organized outfit.
  20. loleator

Teamwork should be about player coordination. Teamwork shouldn't be about "I can use this weapon if I get a friend, I got one online so I can use it, you got none so you can't use it, sorry for you".

About the liberator thing. Why do we "need this again"? 1/3 libs are sitting ducks while doing that and easy preys for ESF's.

Also you seem upset for what a 1/3 lib can do to you and not about what a 2/3 lib can do to you? (Basically they can do much more) Lol? You serious? Is like complaining about 1 heavy assault shooting at you, then saying nothing when 2 of them shoot at you. Completely incomprehensible. Logic = zero.