Game crashes 1-2 times every hour and memory leaks

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by go4life, Apr 24, 2013.

1. go4life

Hello Dev's and everyone else!

After GU07 my game crashes so much its not even funny, I can't be platoon lead or squad lead anymore, since my game crashes 1-2 times every hour.
    This is really frustrating, especially when you are having a good run and get "Planetside 2 has stopped responding" for the 15 time the same day. Also since I am an Officer in my outfit, I need to be both squad lead and platoon lead often.

And at the same time I still have the memory leaks on my GPU's, that I have to ALT-TAB out and in of the game again to reset. My memory usage always cap out around 1200mb, even though I do have 2gb to spare.
    If I do the ALT-TAB trick I can see that I use perhaps 800-900mb, and after a short while it goes slowly but steady up to around 1200mb again. I lose usually 5-10fps from this.

I know this is not something on my side, I always use the newest drivers available, my computer is rock stable and I have tried loads of different settings and deleting useroptions many times.

I know I am not the only one having this, and I hope you can fix this as soon as possible, because I am thinking of giving up the game now, even though I love it. Because this is REALLY game breaking.

Please don't tell me that I should just contact support, I will just end up in a never ending loop where I eventually don't get what I need. I have tried the support before.

My system is in my signature if you need information on that, I can post DXDIAG and anything else you might need on request.

Thank you!
    • Up x 2
  2. Soundmonitor

Happens to me 2 but it helps me to log off for the night, after the second crash I dont bother anymore...
  3. SifuBob

I very rarely have game crashes, but i did when i had GPU Physics enabled. if you don't already have it turned off, try that.
  4. Technologist

I'm getting the GU7 crash also but it's usually once every 2-4 hours. Didn't start until GU7.
  5. Hakase01

If you are using 32-bit operating system, you should use 64-bit.
    This is the only solution which I know.
  6. go4life

Physx has been of all the time, I have been using only 64-bit OS's since 2004 and I have tried craploads of different settings. Nothing helps :/
  7. Lincoln Carnac

I was rock solid until GU07 too. Now crash about 10-20 min after launching game for first time. Then usually ok but occasionally crash 1-2 hour in. PLEASE fix. Love the game. Hate to see it suffer.

i7 3960 Extreme
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance 2400
    2x 600GB velociraptor RAID 0
    Dual GTX 660 Ti 3GB (not SLI) PCIe 3
    Win 7 64
  8. Highfall

9. go4life

Thanks, but im already on them!
    I always use the latest driver out, beta or not!
    And I do not use physx at the moment, since it is such a performance hog.
  10. MacG32

I don't know if this may help or not, but I managed to get some extra FPS by using it. Nvidia's PlanetSide 2 Tweak Guide

Below are my current playable settings. I've disabled GPU Physics, because losing 20+ FPS to use it is not a viable option. My rig has a stock 3930K, 2 stock GTX 680s SLIed, and 64GBs of RAM running on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. Everything is water-cooled. Your results may vary.

Code:
    [Display]
    FullscreenRefresh=0
    Maximized=0
    RenderQuality=1.410000
    FullscreenWidth=1920
    FullscreenHeight=1080
    WindowedWidth=1600
    WindowedHeight=1024
    Mode=WindowedFullscreen
    FullscreenMode=Windowed

[Rendering]
    GraphicsQuality=3
    TextureQuality=0
    ShadowQuality=2
    RenderDistance=6000.000000
    Gamma=0.000000
    MaximumFPS=120
    UseLod0a=0
    OverallQuality=-1
    LightingQuality=2
    EffectsQuality=3
    EffectsLOD=2
    EffectsDistanceScale=0.650000
    TerrainQuality=3
    TerrainLOD=2
    FloraQuality=2
    FloralLOD=1
    FloralDistanceScale=0.650000
    ModelQuality=3
    VerticalFOV=74
    ParticleQuality=1
    ParticleLOD=0
    ParticleDistanceScale=0.650000
    FogShadowsEnable=0
    MotionBlur=0
    MotionBlurQuality=1
    BlurQuality=1
    VSync=0
    AO=1
    AOQuality=2
    AmbientOcclusionQuality=2
    GpuPhysics=0

[Controls]
    CameraAutoAdjustment=1
    ClickToMove=0
    ClickToMoveRightButton=0
    RailCamera=1

[Sound]
    Master=1.000000
    Music=0.100000
    Game=1.000000
    Dialog=0.100000
    UI=0.100000
    UseFloat32Output=0
    ExclusiveMode=0
    HitIndicator=1
    LowAmmoIndicator=1
    VehicleChatter=0
    MaxVoices=96
    OutputDeviceName=Speakers (ASUS Xonar Essence STX Audio Device)
    IdleMusic=0

[ImageCapture]
    OutputFolder=E:\Downloads\Planetside2
    OutputFilePrefix=ps2ss.jpg

[VideoCapture]
    Resolution=3
    Quality=100
    WorkingDir=E:\Downloads\Planetside2
    OutputFile=vco.avi

[VideoStreamer]
    Resolution=3
    Fps=30
    Kbps=3000
    MicRecordVolume=0.000000
    SpeakerRecordVolume=1.000000
    Username=

[Terrain]
    RenderFlora=On

[AutoRefuse]
    FriendInvitation=0
    DuelInvitation=0
    GuildInvitation=0
    HideUi=0
    TradeRequest=0
    HousingInvitation=0
    GroupInvitation=0

[General]
    AutoDetectPerformanceSettings=0
    ReduceInputLag=1
    MouseRawInput=1
    FixedMinimap=0
    Profanity=0
    DrawHud=1
    InvertTankSteering=1

[Video]
    VideoCapturePrefix=ps2v

[VoiceChat]
    EchoEnabled=1
    EchoVolume=0.500000
    ProximityEnabled=1
    ProximityVolume=0.500000
    FactionEnabled=1
    FactionVolume=0.500000
    GroupEnabled=1
    GroupVolume=0.500000
    GroupLeaderEnabled=1
    GroupLeaderVolume=0.500000
    RaidEnabled=1
    RaidVolume=0.500000
    GuildEnabled=1
    GuildVolume=0.500000
    CustomEnabled=1
    CustomVolume=0.500000
    InputDevice=Microphone (ASUS Xonar Essence
    OutputDevice=Speakers (ASUS Xonar Essence STX Audio Device)

[Voice]
    ReceiveVolume=50.000000
    MicrophoneVolume=0.000000
    Enable=1
    Ducking=0.000000

[UI]
    MapCurrentZone=2
    WelcomeScreenShown=0
    MapZoomLevel=3
    MapPositionX=46.38427352905273
    MapPositionY=-286.2747802734375
    ShowMapTutorial=0
    ShowCertsTutorial=0
    OutfitShowOfflineMembers=0
    MapCenterOnPlayer=1
    CentralizedHudMode=1
    MapFilterShowActivityLevel=1
    MapFilterShowTerritoryControl=1
    MapFilterShowGrid=1
    MapFilterShowSquad=1
    MapFilterShowAllies=1
    MapFilterShowFacilities=1
    MapFilterShowObjectives=1
    MapFilterShowMissions=1
    MapStatisticsView=1
    HudChatSize=300|128
    ChatFontSize=10
    MapFilterShowResource1=1
    MapFilterShowResource2=1
    MapFilterShowResource3=1
    HudTintMode=0
    HudShowAlertTimer=0
    LeaderboardSortColumn=score
    LeaderboardTimePeriodFilter=0
    LeaderboardSourceFilter=0
    ShowVRTrainingTutorial=0
    MapActiveToggleView=0

11. AstroCat

I've been experiencing CTDs since the last patch as well. Never had them before, using the latest Nvidia beta drivers.
  12. go4life

Thanks Mac, but I am a heavy tweaker my self, so the guides don't really help me hehe! :)
    Is it you from OCN? I recognize your name! Also why are you running your nice rig at stock? Blasphemy!
    • Up x 1
  13. MacG32

You're welcome. :) Tis I...lol I'm retired from there. :p This game seems more CPU/RAM intensive, so maybe it's testing your overclock. I was crashing quite a lot, until I disabled GPU Physics and lowered my Render Quality to 1.410000. It was at 1.730000, but it crashed regularly as well. The PhysX rendering was stuttering and the frame rate was very low, even when not rendering anything PhysX related. I use EVGA Precision X and TeamSpeak 3 overlays and stream with OBS and those don't seem to help FPS either. Steam's overlay hogs the FPS down and caused game rendering lag for me as well. :eek:
    • Up x 1
  14. go4life

Shame, you should never abandon us <3 Why did you leave?

Yeah, I have noticed! I have lowered my OC to 3.8ghz, and it didn't really do anything on the stability, so I know its not my cpu thats causing it! Everything was stable until GU07.
    I have my render quality at 100, as I am running a 2560x1440 resolution, so I don't really need more stress on my gpu's!
    Physx is a mess in this game, stuttering for me as well, and massive performance hog. And my game crashed every 10-20min with it on before, so I don't even care to try it now haha!

Using Msi Afterburner, FRAPS and Steam overlay my self! Might have to try and disable the overlay in Steam then, see how it goes! Usually Steam overlay is like a drop in the sea for me, but this game is very weird at so many things, so its worth a try haha!
  15. MacG32

Seems the place threw in the towel on content quality, for cash money with the new forum software switch. Just not my cup of tea anymore. ;)

Is your memory overclocked? PS2 uses quite a bit and sometimes coming close to 3GBs. My stock memory needed an extra little 0.04V to be 100% stable.

I think GU07 introduced PhysX and Apex, so I'm assuming these to be causing quite a bit of problems lately.

I also noticed that sound rendering may be causing conflicts as well. To fix it, I had to bump down MaxVoices on my Asus gaming laptop to 48.

Also, if you tweak your UserOptions.ini, back it up with every update, let PS2 recreate it, max all the settings, and then compare the two to see if anything new has been added/removed.

Full screen windowed mode might help as well, but using ALT+ENTER to shrink it just to be able to minimize it is a bit of a pain.

In the very recent past, I could max everything out and play all day without crashing. Since GU06 or 07, I've had to tone everything down quite a bit, just to have the game playable again. My FPS fluctuates between 18 - 110.

I've submitted bugs that I've noticed, like multiple angle reflections (not shadows) rendering and whatnot, but haven't see any real rendering engine optimizations lately. I'm sure it's being worked on, but lower end computer owners stand no chance of playing this game and enjoying their experience.
  16. go4life

Fair enough, to be honest I also think content quality has gone down!

Nope, running at stock. Pretty beast ram, found it one place here in Norway. Best ram I have ever had :)
    I will try to add a bit extra voltage then, and see if that sorts anything out, but as said it was all better before the last update.

Well I have tried physx all the way back to GU03 and upwards through useroptions.ini you could unlock it from there all the time before it was officially released, but really it was the same after release for me.

Good tip, will do that. But I have some backups at least!

Running windowed is not an option for me really, dislike it to much.

I had the same experience as you, I think GU04 was the best for me performance wise, could run pretty much everything at Ultra at native resolution, now? Not so much... With a mix of High, Medium and Low I can now get 40-110fps where I before had 70-160fps.

Indeed, I have several as well. But the dev's don't even bother to respond on any of them. I had a very lengthy post with lots of information on the performance issues, what happened, every detail about my computer and a full length copy of my DXDIAG.
    Did the dev's respond? No, even though my post was 10x the quality of most posts on here. But they do respond to random crap with poor information.

Check this thread out: http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...de-2-developers-shun-thier-own-forums.109718/
    And look at the last comment from the Dev: "This thread is not related to tech support. Locked."
  17. MacG32

I really enjoyed the unlocked PhysX when done in the UserOptions.ini more than I do now. It was also much easier on my system.

Full screen windowed is like having windowed benefits (a little more FPS), but at full screen viewing.

Devs don't respond to most forum post and it's understandable. With others thread jacking, instantly being swamped with questions and comments, and, above all else, work makes it difficult. When the day is done, they want to go home and enjoy their lives too and not think/worry about work related stuff. They're just like any of us, in that sense.

That was a forum moderator than closed that thread.

I'd bet there's a few folks from SOE tasked to extrapolate usable information from all of the forum posts and present it in an organized and coherent fashion to the Dev Team.
  18. Jenocyber

GU07 has been a very troublesome for me I'm now now getting constant CTD 3 - 4 times every hour and I know quite a lot of people from friends and clan members who are also having this problem. Before GU07 Id never once crashed, also had PhysX enabled and could play hours on end without any problems. I've tried updating to the new Nvidia 320.00 beta drivers and the problem still happens. So this is definitely a bug introduced in GU07.

Hopefully SOE can get this fixed soon.
  19. S0LAR15

It's a bug from the hotfixes I think.
  20. AstroCat

Yeah, PhysX on or off makes no difference for me, I crash every few minutes, before the patch it was solid since beta.