Windows 8 against Windows 7

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Vicarious, Apr 17, 2013.

1. AnotherNoob

Just go to www.ninite.com and download the "classic start menu" thing, works like a charm. (give you back the start menu, and let you skip the "metro" screen altogether.)
  2. WookLordz

Take a look at my signature. See the rig there? Does that look like the kind of rig someone would have that didn't benchmark their **** before making a statement like that? :cool:

30-35% increase in boot times BENCHMARKED

But go ahead, keep parroting reviews from when Win8 just came out and was still going through it's birthing pains, and people were horrified by the UI change. You can easily disable or adapt the touchscreen features. I'll continue to enjoy my superior computing experience to Win7.
  3. SgtScum

You have an ssd. The least optimized program in the world would load up fast with that so you gained what? an additional 3 seconds off your boot time?

I have an 840pro and my boot time on win 7 is just under 10 seconds from hitting the restart to getting back to computing. What's yours?

But I'll go ahead and let you feel good about your purchase. I remember the same comments about 98me. NOOO!! its uber and runs so much better than regular 98!!!!!

lmao.. :p
  4. WookLordz

Yes, you are right, it's an improvement on an already stellar boot speed compared to Win7. But I'll let you go ahead and belittle and berate someone who has actual experience with Win8 on multiple rigs under their belt, because you seem to think your assumptions and internetz reviews you read 6 months ago make you an expert, because it's making you look like a tool.

P.S. I didn't "purchase" Win8, as it was purchased by my company. But go ahead, and continue making unfounded assumptions about people you don't know.
  5. SgtScum

My friend also tried win 8 over win 7 and promptly went right back to win 7.

But feel free to justify your purchase as much as you want. :p
  6. Van Dax

yeah there was way to much bandwagon hate on win8, people don't realize you get a (much better imo) start menu if you just right click on the bottom left corner. you get stuff like device manager, task manager, system, cmd and more. Arguably more useful than just having another place to consolidate shortcuts.
    Besides it was only forty dollars
    • Up x 1
  7. The King

Actually, I was used to the Windows 8 UI well before I added in 1 single thing, which is a start button.
    I don't really need that start button, but I do like it. That is why I added it into my Windows 8.
    And anyone can add a start button in their Windows 8 if they miss it. Since I did, I added it....
    voila.. (I didn't install an addon to get a Windows 7 experience. I've been using Windows since it started back in the 90s and I really do like the start button. Do I really need it? No, I do not. Could I get used to not using one? Yes, since I have already did.)

My UI is great with my keyboard and mouse. Don't know why it is sucky for you.
    I don't use a touchscreen and never plan to use one.
    I use a projector.

But all in all, my Windows 8 look nearly 99% alike to my Windows 7, just without a start button.

You do not have to use Metro.

If you know how to use Windows 7, you know how to use Windows 8...
  8. SgtScum

So I should shell out more money on what is pretty much a gui update with no real new core technology introduced over win 7?

No thanks. :rolleyes:
  9. WookLordz

You could get Pro legit for 14.99 for a while...
  10. The King

With your rig, I wouldn't. Just no point.
  11. WookLordz

Did anyone here ask you to shell out money? Time to block and stop feeding this troll.

PS. It stopped being fashionable to bash on Win8 like 5 months ago.
  12. SgtScum

Your not getting it. There is no core technology difference between win 7 and win 8.

It's a pure gui update to make touchscreen phone users who don't like or even use computers a reason to try them out and make M$ more money by increasing its installed user base.

I lmao every time I see someone 'upgrade' from win 7 to win 8.

It's The Same OS With A Different Wrapper.

Thank you and good night.
  13. Egonieser

Yeah i can do the same in any Windows, they're called shortcuts..... LOL
  14. Nolicense

I'm about to reinstall win 7 from 8pro and will let people know if i experience any difference in game play. my hopes are i wont crash as much and that my voice will be better (i don't think the drivers for my sound-card are good for win 8) . I hope it is just a OS difference and drivers but if not then i will have to live with my problems. I don't hate win 8 but honestly cant say i like it either.
  15. WookLordz

Sounds like someone is trying extra hard to justify their decision to not upgrade.
  16. WookLordz

Said the person defending Microsoft's Win7? God, you're not that smart, are ya?
  17. SgtScum

No reason to upgrade. No improvement in performance over win 7 even if I had a bleeding edge computer and no touchscreen so the whole point of 'upgrading' is lost.

Seems more like smart researching to me. :)
  18. Cloud Chiller

I use Windows 7 because I primarily run Ubuntu and I can't be bothered to update an OS I'm actually using for completely irrelevant matters, namely gaming. I don't think I could care less about the GUI ;)
  19. WookLordz

Here's some links to actual "research." Please provide some of your own.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406668,00.asp

http://www.techspot.com/review/561-windows8-vs-windows7/page2.html

http://www.zdnet.com/windows-8-vs-windows-7-benchmarked_p2-7000002671/

Please tell everyone again how there is "no performance improvement" to further cement your position.
  20. Zynex

Lol some of the posts in this thread...

Who cares? If you like Win8, use it. If not, don't. It's all a matter of personal preference.
    • Up x 1