Biolab Fights

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Kon, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Kon

I have been playing last few hours , population is low so unsure exactly how this will scale but i have had fights of that size on regular occasion on my server. while i like the standardized capture time it proposes an issue for Biolab fights, because access to teleporters is tied to these Forward Bases and with the capture time so long i don't think it will be possible to defend a biolab even with even numbers. this is simply due to the capture time of these forward bases.

Imagine if you will 2 Squads 1 attacking and 1 Defending. the attackers get a hold of a forward Base and now have access to a teleporter they start pushing in and the fight is even. the defenders have them locked in the teleporter room for the most part so they send 6 people down to re-secure the teleporter base they flip the point and begin the capture the attackers know they have time ( lets assume 5 minutes) before they lose access to that teleporter , they can continue to push the biolab and push out and start blowing up generators etc due to defenders being outnumbered if the people sent to re-secure come back to help they just end up repeating the cycle. what i think is that the Teleporters should be independent of the forward bases to allow defenders a chance to actually stop enemies flooding in without requiring greater numbers than the attackers there are multiple ways this can be achieved

One of which could be to totally separate the teleporter from the forward base giving it its own control point with a capture time similar to what we have now and it works totally independent of the forward bases

Another way, which I prefer is to give the teleporter its own "Control Console" this would work similar to Terminals at bases so when the base flips it belongs to the owner of the base. these would be placed in the same room as the teleporter itself , and being like a terminal it can be blown up, the HP on these would be similar to a sunderer ie 2 C4 and a Rocket to blow it up or 5 Rockets when a console gets damaged a voice over along the lines of "A Teleporter Control Console is Being Attacked" giving people inside the teleporter room time to teleport back. when a Console is Blown up the Teleporter room goes neutral basically Shields drop teleporter stops working people inside can respawn at the forward base and then repair it. The console will not be able to be damaged by friendly units.

Another benefit of it being like a Terminal is that it can be hacked (another voice notification), so an infiltrator can hack it and gain access to the teleporter. Hacked consoles are basically the same as flipping a forward spawn now ownership goes to hacker anyone inside gets pain fielded and pushed out.( they shouldn't be camping in there anyway...) Just like a terminal it can be Re-hacked or blown up and repaired , when blown up it will revert to default ownership ( which is whoever owns the base)

This would actually give infiltrators something they can do to help at biolab fights. this in addition to some Spawn Room Teleporters that take you to some tunnels ( that take you closer to the forward bases) and pop you out at various spots inside the biolab would help make it easier to defend with these new changes. plus you could even make it so you cant shoot out of spawn room anymore
    • Up x 2
  2. DEXTER507

Yeah, capture times are really ridiculous and I definitely agree that this is not exactly a good way how to treat forward bases. I really like the Control Console idea, it would add an interesting element to biolab fights and would give defenders another option how to better defend it. But even with these consoles the capture time of these forward bases should be halved at least, hell I wouldn't even mind if the capture time would be the same as the current satellite bases have.

Of course it would be nice to test it with some actual people around, not just 3 attackers and 3 defenders :/
  3. Kon

well the capture time is meant to be that way its no longer part of the biolab they are separate bases. the issue is the teleporters which is vital in attack/ defense of a biolab. atm i really think that unless you have more numbers than attackers you wont be able to push them out, and even if you do while your fighting over that Forward base which might take 10 minutes they can easily keep sending people inside the biolab to blow up generators etc
  4. Sirisian

I really like the idea of sneaking in and reversing the direction of the teleporter or destroying it momentarily. With the current design we'd probably see the ability to destroy it as reversing it would require shields on both ends.
  5. TeamGreener

I'd like it if there were a hackable console near the teleporter rooms inside the biolab that allowed camping defenders to temporarily take control of the teleporter and attempt to push back into the satellite.. but that would require a redesign of the teleporter rooms as well.
  6. Kon

yes, but im basically anything that stops the teleporters only being tied to those forward bases as they are no bases not little respawn areas.. so they were designed to be more easily defended and with the capture time it makes re-securing a teleporter next to impossible unless you outnumber the attackers
  7. Zinus

Maybe give the biolab defenders easier access to the bottom part of biolab and make the shields more defensible. That way even if the attacker take the satellites, the biolab defenders should still be able to launch prolonged attacks from the bottom part of the biolab towards the satellites.
  8. Mr T

Why not remove teleporters and replace them with jump pads? That way it is more difficult for attackers to attack the Biolab, but it also means that defenders need to leave their Biolab to re-take the outpost/forward base, this would make Biolabs more defensible, and make the outposts/forward bases a bit more important! I think...
  9. Kon

im assuming soe has decided to stick with teleporters in biolabs, even though they are one cause for the farm. if they removed teleporters there would need to be multiple side entries around the dome ( maybe a Terrace around the entire biolab) lets say 2 entries other than the 2 large Pad entries. could even make them shielded so you cant be shot through them but anyone can run through them.

but TBH what i like most about the teleporter control console idea is that even in big outfit fights the small outfit or group of friends can go be sneaky and sabotage the teleporters. thus having an impact on the big zerg fight..
  10. Nyctalgia

You make some interesting points. I'll keep them in mind when testing.
  11. Kon

Have you had a chance to play.. lemme know what you think