So I started to play infiltrator...

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by AkaiYuusha, Apr 10, 2013.

1. AkaiYuusha

Apart from not being able to fly on top of buildings, being able to cloak and hack turrets is the best thing that ever happened to me. I have recently finish certing into my SMG, what should I cert next if I am the type to backstab people in the back?
  2. Rhyl

I'd get hacking at least to three if you enjoy hacking. Followed by upgrading your suit, recon device, and the cloak of your choice.
  3. AnuErebus

Rule 1 for an type of infiltrator. Max that cloak. It'll be a lifesaver. Anyways, I'm jut going to copy paste some advice I gave to an outfit member recently. 4-6 can be swapped easily if you want, I'd probably rank bouncing betters or proxy mines higher than where claymores are. And since you said you love hacking hacking speed may come before recon dart.

Main certs in order of preference.
    1: Suit slot
    Initially just a few ranks, I'd recommend nanoweave or flak armor to start. Once you have level 3-4 in your chosen one move on in the list don't worry too much about maxing this but it's always a place to start. If you find yourself on really long sniping streaks you may consider an ammo bandolier.

2: Med/Restokit (Choice is yours, I personally prefer medkits for the instant heal.)
    Shouldn't need more than a couple of these.

3: Hunter CLoak
    Lifesaver and generally useful for getting to places without being detected. Learning to use this in between shots is incredibly valuable. I spam this thing in big fights as long as I can.

4: Recon Detect Device
    Need to find that pesky enemy running around a building? This is your answer. Be aware though that like gunfire it pings you briefly on the map.

5: Hacking Speed
    Always useful in outfit ops, idk how many times I've been a sundy puller at this point and the less time you have to spend exposed at the terminal the better. Be aware, you can look around and move a short distance while hacking so always turn around to make sure you're not being snuck up on.

6: AP mines
    I have survived thusfar without them. But I have run into situations where they would be useful over medkits so they're one of the next things I'll be certing into.

7: EMP grenades
    I've recently seen the usefulness of these coupled alongside close range bolt-actions they take proper placement but could be highly useful
    • Up x 1
  4. (-)IONS

Proximity claymores are awesome. Getting two allows you to defend or at least have an early warning system at most points. They are also awesome to troll with just sticking them in random but high traffic areas. People get so pissed off its hilarious. Also handy if people are chasing you!
  5. DemoniWaari

Few ranks to cloak, AP mines and you're good to go!
  6. Dr. Euthanasia

Recon device first, proximity mines second. The former is worthless at low ranks but quickly becomes indispensable with some good cert investment, and the latter is a powerful explosive which can be deployed without warning the people it's about to kill, and an excellent way to cover your escape in a pinch. Upgrading your cloak is fairly useless by comparison (unless you want to use Nano-Armor, which is... inadvisable for someone new to the class), and there aren't many suits that are both cheap and worth having without being fully upgraded. Hacking isn't a bad place to dump upgrades, but I wouldn't recommend going too far with it too early when there's so many more, less situational tools that you don't have access to yet.

I'm assuming, of course, that you intend to play a CQC Infiltrator and not a sniper.
  7. Rhyl

I second this. If you're considering using Nano Armor I'd strongly urge you to upgrade Hunter Cloak to 3. Learn the ins and outs of the class and continue using hunter until Nano Armor is maxed or one away from max. Nano Armor is a lot harder to use than normal cloak and the first few levels is so painfully short you'll feel extremely gimped. In the meantime focus on other things before considering that option.
  8. AkaiYuusha

So for an infiltrator, would nanoweave do better than flak?
  9. Ztiller

Depends on how you play. Nanoweave if you want to be a sniper. Flak if you want to infiltrate, to make sure you survive those pesky AP mines.
    • Up x 1
  10. Dr. Euthanasia

I find that AP mines are rare enough compared to situations where I take more than 900 damage even in close range. Of course, Flak Armor will also protect you from tanks, grenades, and Heavy Assaults who like to snap-fire their rocket launchers, but with maxed out Nanoweave you'll have 1025 health - just barely enough to survive extremely long range sniper headshots and one more bullet from most weapons.
  11. Vaphell

if you got long-range headshotted admit you failure, give xp to the enemy and carry on. Don't make it harder than it needs to be for other infiltrators ;)
    • Up x 1
  12. Dr. Euthanasia

I think that I deserve a second chance when I'm counter-sniping for my outfit and those enemy snipers have the entire landscape to shoot me from.
    • Up x 1
  13. OldMaster80

Good tip, today 7 mines killed me :(
    • Up x 1
  14. Astraka

It's worth every cert spent. I didn't realize how much I needed it until I started using it and actually surviving the mines I don't catch. It is especially important if you're actually trying to get into bases. I know from personally experience that people place mines at the foot of stairs in the towers, near vehicle terminals, on the landings of jump pads & lifts, etc. Any one of them can end your Infiltration streak before it ever begins.

I've also taken to carrying Medkits rather than Claymores when I go on the offensive to further increase my ability to survive. They're another invaluable addition to the Infiltrator arsenal that I wasn't sure I'd need until I actually started using them. My recommendation is to try a little bit of everything for a while & see what gives you the most mileage.
    • Up x 1
  15. Syphers

You"ll still survive with nano5 I rarely if never get killed by mines with it and then it's the best all around for CQC
  16. DeathSparx

You sound like you're going for CQC,
    in that case I would recommend (in no particular order):
    - You have an SMG, good but you need to be silent (i.e. suppressors all around, even on your pistol) -- so you can get stabby
    - For survivability you need to figure out what is gonna give you the most trouble (vehicles, AP mines, or foot soldiers). The first two would indicate flak armor, the last one says nano-weave. Keep this in mind: Nano-weave will allow you to walk over one AP mine (with atleast rank 5 which is the second to last rank) but leave you with barely any health left so be ready for active defenders camping in the area (typically engineers and other infiltrators).
    - For the cloak, this depends what type of infiltrator you are: If you really don't rely on you're cloak that much then nano-armor cloaking works for the getaways as the shoot at you. Typically, going around stabbing people in the back in high traffic areas will require long term stealth so I would highly recommend maxing Hunter cloaking as it gives you a longer cloak and maxing it increases the recharge rate.
    - AP Mines: most ppl wear flak armor these days but they still worth it for the occasionally random kill. I've planted these at a base and went a couple kilometers away to another place and just on my way to my destination gotten a random kill. These pay for themselves if placed properly. Get both when you can.
    - Turret/Terminal Hacking Speed: Depends on how much you find yourself hacking terminals (and the conditions under which you are doing so) but certing into this gives noticeable results to the speed so feel free if you feel the need.

I think that covers everything...
  17. zaspacer

For sneaky CQC, keep in mind that when you come across someone with their back to you that 2x pistol shots + 1x knife slash is an easy, VERY fast TTK, and doesn't use much ammo to take them out. Try it in the VR.

Just make sure you have Suppressor on your Pistol (so nobody else hears it) and you don't try it with the Beamer pistol if you are VS.
  18. DeathSparx

I thought a knife slash + 1 shot to the head was all it took for something like that.
  19. Ztiller

I prefer the Knife + 2 shots combo, since the knife is unreliable. If it doesn't register, you always get a few more shots before the enemy realizes whats going on.

And i don't see why it shouldn't work with the Beamer. 3 shots instead of 2.
    • Up x 1
  20. zaspacer

I don't like doing it with the Beamer because sometimes they react very fast (or even move just before you attack) and you don't kill them... and then you're stuck with them alive and you holding a Beamer.

I like Beamer used for rapid shots at the head from point blank range, but for other stuff I just feel it's too risky.
    • Up x 1