TR A2A Rotary well behind the other two?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheRealMetalstorm, Mar 30, 2013.

1. LightningWolfTigrBer

Alright, well now I'm certain that you don't know what you're talking about. The Scythe's top cruising speed flying level to the ground is 200kph. Add in vertical thrusters and speed increases to 220kph. Now get this, the Reaver's top cruising speed is 200kph, identical to the Scythe's. With vertical thrusters the Reaver's speed increases to 215kph, only 5kph lower than the Scythe's. Now if you think that's "much faster" then you should see the difference between afterburners. The Reaver's top speed with afterburner is 348kph, whereas the Scythe only reaches 320kph, a 28kph difference in the Reaver's favor.

It's true that the Reaver isn't on par with the Scythe in some areas(though superior to it in others), but speed is not one of those areas.

Edit: I should mention that all these numbers were gathered in the VR area using aircraft with no performance slots equipped.
    • Up x 1
  2. HellasVagabond

You are mistaken. I have Racer 1 in my Reaver and it's speed goes to 201km/h when at ground level so the stock can't be 200km/h. Prior to having racer 1 i usually got 190-196km/h at ground level.
    Regardless even 5km/h is an advantage in cruising speed especially when the scythe has other pros as well compared to the Reaver. Sure the Reaver can reach 340km/h with the afterburners but those last but a few seconds.
  3. treeHamster

The Scythe might be good for flying at ground level through trees and flying through rocks, but it's garbage at actual fighting. The "smaller" size only works if it goes in a straight line which would make it 100% predictable. If you start to even turn a LITTLE in it, it becomes the most exposed ESF. The turbo laser is the worst of the three for A2A and the PPA is the worse AI gun of the three. Considering the regen rate of the AB's as well as the extra speed you get from it, on the Reaver, you'll easily outrun a Scythe. The Scythe might be easiest to learn flying in, but the Mossie is faster and MUCH more agile overall. In my opinion, the Scythe is the worse ESF of them all unless you're using it as an elevator for infantry. Oh and it can also do the bail/re-enter trick a little better than the other two because of how flat and wide it is. If you're good enough, this can also translate into a damage free bail from 100m above the ground (which is great because I don't have to get the ejection seat). Other than that, I wouldn't take it over the other two ESF's any day of the week. Put on top of that how many of the Scythe pilots are complete noobs and don't ever help out another Scythe getting chased, and you end up with the hardest ESF to fight with.

Edit: I almost unfairly forgot that the Scythe's best attack is the scythe cut (road killing infantry) because of it's wider, flat body, it's a bit easier and more effective than the other two ESF's. However, this only works well in a handful of places.
  4. TheRealMetalstorm

a claim that you and I both seem to agree upon...
    we both know it takes longer to slow down from max speed in a mosquito than a reaver, since deceleration rates are uniform and top speeds aren't.
  5. StormFrog

Deceleration rates aren't uniform. The Scythe has a higher breaking force listed in the game files and the physics for the Reaver and the Mosquito aren't completely uniform.

Your claim is just noise until you back it up.
    • Up x 1
  6. TheRealMetalstorm

Sigh, our discussion was between the reaver and the mosquito, scroll up. It's well known that the scythe brakes better.
    And this is horizontal airbrake - nothing to do with transitioning to reverse. the airspeed plots in that graph don't reflect the reaver bleeding more speed during a turn (which IS also in that spreadsheet)

Keep coming, i'll patiently answer those little nitpicked "mistakes"
  7. Phazaar

You've spent so long posting white noise that you could have made the damned video 4 times over if what you were saying is true. It's not though, so just leave it. You've been thoroughly bested on every point you've made, and you've ignored half of those responses so as to avoid accepting people have out done you. No idea why you're still banging on this drum when it's very clear you are mistaken -again-.
  8. loleator

how much of that score per hour is made of ground targets and how much is made of air ones.

a good reaver pilot is unbeatable, fact
  9. TheRealMetalstorm

lol i spend 5 minutes posting each post max
    explain to me how the reverse transition isn't faster in the reaver again?
    top speed to low enough speeds for reversal is much faster in a reaver while doing the transition in the video (and it's one of the basic transition methods)
    why?
    reaver bleeds more airspeed during a tight turn than other ESFs, coupled with lower max airspeed.
    = bleeds off and decelerates faster than mosquito
    ._.
    i know i haven't posted videos but i don't have the time to go in and start counting frames
  10. TheRealMetalstorm

11. LightningWolfTigrBer

I don't know where you're getting your facts, sir, but what you're saying isn't true. Either that's a false memory or you're deliberately making this up, because the Reaver's base top cruising speed is indeed 200kph. You can easily see this for yourself by spawning a Reaver in the VR as I have done. Now what may be causing you confusion is the fact that the Racer airframe is bugged and has been since beta. Spawning an aircraft anywhere other than the warpgate will often leave the Racer airframe unequipped, which may be why you can only reach 200kph even with the Racer airframe. I'd upload a video as proof but the in game recordings are so huge that I don't have that kind of time to upload a video to youtube. If you don't believe me you'll just have to check for yourself.
    It's true that the Scythe has some clear advantages, stronger hover, stronger rudder, low speed bleeding on turns, zero inertia, smaller hitbox, faster acceleration and stronger airbrake. Though the Reaver has it's strengths over the Scythe as well. Stronger cannons, stronger vertical thrust, stronger barrel roll, stronger afterburner and the unique ability to remain motionless while inverted and holding descending thrusters(A2A users can use this trick to great effect) to name a few. I'm sorry if you're not happy with your aircraft, but as far as the Reaver and Scythe go they're pretty balanced and you should be playing to it's strengths rather than worrying about it's weaknesses.
  12. HellasVagabond

Just equipped Racer Frame 2....TOP SPEED 203KMH....
    And i'd trade the traits of the Scythe for the traits of the Reaver any day of the week :)
  13. Jaquio

Measuring the ideal TTK for the reaver's rotary implies that you can actually hit what you're aiming at.

The nosegun on the reaver is really messed up, and hitting anything reliably is extraordinarily difficult.
    • Up x 1
  14. LightningWolfTigrBer

Well I don't know what you're doing wrong, but you're definitely doing something wrong. Will just have to make a vid later I suppose, because the numbers I'm getting are entirely different.
  15. HellasVagabond

Well it seems that today the entire server has LAG of tremendous proportions...
    So after a while with Racer 2 the top speed went to 215kmh.....Not that great when the mossie has 220km by default (i think the Scythe has 210?)
  16. Zenith

The Reaver is way more stable in flight though, and I find it far more enjoyable to fly, especially in a ground attack role. I've also seen people doing some pretty insane stunts in dogfights, which can make it especially dangerous if underestimated.
  17. LightningWolfTigrBer

You mean with Racer? I have no idea, I run with the dogfighting frame. All I can tell you is that without racer the Scythe tops out at 200kph, 220 if you're also using vertical thrusters.
  18. HellasVagabond

Without the Racer the Mossie tops at 220km/h and the Reaver at 200Km/h but i don't know if that's With or Without the thrusters (i get a bit confused with this).
  19. LightningWolfTigrBer

That's without, you can reach 215kph while using the thrusters(which I'd recommend getting into the habit of, you just have to angle your nose down a bit to maintain altitude).
  20. StormFrog

I'm aware the speed carried into a turn is different but even the straight braking between the Reaver and Mossi is different. What I'm saying is that neither of us can just point to one of those and say with certainty what will happen. We have at least two variables. A controlled test needs to be done to determine whether the slower banking speed of the Reaver outweighs the faster braking of the Mossi.