HUGE FPS Drop after GU6

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by HerbertKnivez, Apr 3, 2013.

1. KaMiKaZePiG

That's very disappointing to hear because I've had a massive FPS drop in combat on my machine since GU6.
  2. Dragon Zander

This is for you CYCLES MCHURTZ!!

My system:
    CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400 3.0Ghz
    Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 9600GT 512mb DDR3
    RAM: 4GB DDR2 800Mhz

My system is not the best but when PS2 is "working right" I get about 40FPS at the WG. In very large battles my FPS drops to 15-20, but I can play and its still fun (that massive drop in big battles is a separate issue).

Further Experimentation:

-I contacted a friend who has a better rig (win7x64 / i7 Quad core / 12GB RAM / brand new nvidia card w 2GB)
    -He is not having this issue at all (He gets 70 FPS at WG and in large battles ~25FPS, seems everyone losses 60% of their FPS in large battles)
    -According to my friend, my character in-game moves smoothly unless I jump, the jumping animation stutters slightly.
    -If I turn on the in-game recording FPS becomes stable
    -If you travel to far from the area you turned on the in-game recording (ie. to a new hex) FPS begins to stutter again and in-game recording can't be turned off.
    -I just tried reducing my resolution to 1024x768. No change

I have Windows 7 x64 and have been planning to install it. I cant see how it would affect this issue but turning on in-game recording to level FPS makes even less sense. If changing from a 32bit OS to a 64bit OS changes anything I will let you know.
  3. Odan.be

I noticed some performance drop too.
    At the WG I have normally 80 - 90 FPS , and in big fights 30 - 40 FPS.

After the GU 6 i noticed that during the one of the new "events" Fps dropping to 20 - 40 fps.

I suspect that the "events" draw far more people to 1 place and this is affecting the overall performance.

My system spec :
    Intel I5 3570
    8 GB DDR 1600 MHz
    Asrock Xtreme 4 mobo
    MSI GTX 660 TI Power Edition
    • Up x 1
  4. Metalsand

After the patch, I added 4 GB of ram. Planetside 2 now randomly freezes when I try to deploy somewhere. FFS.
  5. Gammit

I too am having a huge performance decrease. Around the time of the update, I got some extra hardware too.

Before
    • 100+ fps at sanctuary, 40-60 in-battle, 30 at the worst, no hitching/stuttering
    • High graphics with fog shadows and no blur
    i7 920 @ 3.3 GHz on air cooling, no HT, max of 75 degrees C
    6 GB RAM at 1600 MHz
    560 Ti w/ 1 GB RAM
    Win7 64 bit Pro
    Latest drivers

After
    • 60-90 fps at warpgate, 40 in-battle, 20 at the worst, TONS of hitching/stuttering
    • Mix of high and medium graphics without fog shadows or blur

i7 920 @ 4.0 GHz on liquid cooling, no HT, max of 64 degrees C
    6 GB RAM at 1600 MHz
    2 x 560 Ti w/ 1 GB RAM in SLI
    Win7 64 bit Pro
    Latest drivers

I have run CPU, RAM, and video card stress tests, checked my drivers, rebooted clean w/out startup programs, tried to configure SLI in multiple configurations, tried to force Ultra settings, set card 1 for PhysX, set card 2 for PhysX, turned off SLI, turned off GPU PhysX, etc.

The hitching/stuttering is what REALLY kills the game for me. Most of the time, it is just subtle enough to throw off my aim. I can only really be effective if I play medic. Then every once in awhile, I will bomb 40+ fps while simultaneously changing from GPU-bound to CPU-bound. This will quickly happen and recover in 1-2 seconds. Video is here:

Thread is here: http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...ching-large-drops-of-fps.110925/#post-1500168

My experience really sucks lately with this.
  6. luvthesnapper

Atleast you guys can play. I'm at 10 fps at the warpgate, and basically can't move.

Also, I've noticed the fps is not stable at all. Mine is jumping from 14 to 40 to 14 to 40, over and over back and forth. Is this causing the extreme stutter? This happens very quickly, and I'm just standing still at the warpgate.
  7. WolfA4

AMD FX-8150 at 4.7 ghz
    RAM: 16gb PC800 DDR3
    Video card 1: GTX 660 2gb
    Video card 2(dedicated physx card): GTX 260
    Game is on an SSD

Prior to GU06 I was getting 50-60 fps with all high settings except for shadows and flora on medium with a resolution of 1900x1080, after GU06 my frame rate will drop significantly over the course of time until it eventually gets to single digit frame rates.
  8. BigIronRanger

I second that motion
  9. Roadwarrior82

When I start the game FPS are OK (50-60). But when I am at a base with fights suddenly FPS drop to half of that and the game stutters (completely unplayable).
    If I ALT+TAB to desktop and back to game everything is OK for a short time (maybe 30s, depends on how much is going on in my area).

not THAT bad??:
    i7-960 (3.2Ghz-8core)
    NVIDIA GTX 480
    6 GB RAM (@1333MHz)
  10. THBandit6

From the posts in this thread, it would seem that Intel users have been hit harder with GU6 in relation to FPS than AMD users. I personally run a Phenom II x4 955 with GTX560TI Graphics and have noticed minimal FPS drop after GU6. That's a solid 60fps in warpgates which drops down to about 30-40 in battles, the same as it's been since GU5 hotfixes, and the best it's been in months. Oh and that 60 FPS could go higher, but I capped it at that to try and resolve the slight stuttering issue that sometimes occurs when I have to turn rapidly. I hope it gets sorted for you soon herb. - Tester2000
  11. Roadwarrior82

Only 24% of the Steam-users have an AMD CPU...
  12. THBandit6

That may be so, yet in the entirety of this thread only one person has complained about their fps with an AMD Bulldozer processor, and the other two AMD users have commented that their fps hasn't dropped much if at all with GU6. All the other posts in here are Intel users.
  13. ThaPhreak

it does not matter what the nvidia gpu is if there is two cards with sli capability you can sli them, you do not get the huge gain that you do with matched cards but you still do get an increase.

hackers? yeap got em, surprised? you must be new to the gaming community.

and i dunno what your on about with the resolution...
  14. ALeviathan

I think the only Nvidia GPU's that will Sli together are the ones in the same type. i.e. 670 stock with a 670 OC. You can run diff' types of Nvidia in your system, but only the same type will Sli. If I'm wrong, can you please show me?

AMD use to ( Not sure now) let you cross fire 2 diff' types of GPU's as I don't it a few years back.

O, I'm running intel and the GU6 hasn't gave me any grief. If anything, it's better.
  15. TintaBux

Amerish is really bad for me now. Really bad FPS.
  16. escannihilator

guess i am one of the lucky ones, i dont really see any problems while playing but my buddies do so dont know what to say
  17. Gammit

This is correct. You can't even SLI a 560 Ti and a 560 without facing potential issues; I know when I accidentally ordered a 560 late at night just to figure this out the next day and have to return it for a 560 Ti. You used to be able to combine non-identical cards with a third-party utility, but that hasn't been updated in over a year.
  18. Chronos24

CPU: i7 3630qm 2.4 with OC option (turbo button) to 3.4ghz
    Gpu: nvidia gtx 675m
    12gig 1600 ddr3 ram
    Windows 8 64bit

Was able to run max settings with shadows low before update 6. Was getting 60fps+ easy and dropping to 40ish in extreme fights. Now at WG averaging 40fps and under 30 to teens in fights. Have messed with a couple settings but I don't feel I should've had to since the game ran perfect before the update.
  19. NanoBitSplit

Hello.

I'm also not the only person in the thread with a Phenom or newer with FPS issues. Perhaps you should read posts a bit closer before spewing nonsense.

I tried playing again last night to see if I could ease PS2 into a stable framerate, and noticed that I too am encountering the rendering issue that was previously stated in the thread (for the life of me, I can't find it now- was it deleted or something) about spawning in some place and having the game take a while until players render correctly, namely their heads and weapons, and also certain other things don't appear right off such as the one-empire shields at tower bases. I made the mistake of hot-dropping to a nearly uncontested AMP station and was met with a stunning 15 frames per second, which is completely unplayable. AMP stations always gave me a framerate hit in the past, but not nearly that badly and in a base that empty.
  20. ARMYguy

Whats weird is my FPS are the same or slightly better after this update. I am running the following:
    i7 2600k @ 4.6 ghz
    8gb ddr3 dominator ram @ 1600 mhz
    2x GTX 670 4gbs, but not in SLI for this title. One runs the game, one runs the physx.
    Asus maximus IV Extreme B3 motherboard
    win 7 pro

I was at 70 to 90 fps in the warpgate looking at tons of people before the update, and i am 80 to 100 fps in the warpgate looking at the same number of people. Battles seem to have also stayed the same or increased, and there is LESS hitching. I wonder what is going on here with everyone's machines stating they are losing fps. maybe i hitch less cause i dedicated a video card to physx? Shrugs.