Extra Daily Deal

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RageRage, Apr 5, 2013.

1. RageRage

Subscribers now get an extra daily deal, which is nice I suppose :)

Question though: is it a coincidence that the last two days the normal deal was a cosmetic item while the premium happened to have a tactically valuable weapon and a boost? Is this how it's going to be or just a coincidence?

And as a side note, are the deals random or carefully selected by the marketing team? :D
  2. DJPenguin

no doubt it's set up to make the second deal look more attractive to get extra memberships, at least initially. Honestly though, members would benefit more from the extra deal being cosmetics and boosts.. anything that can't be acquired with certs. We can already buy weapons with certs easily enough. I can't justify spending 250 SC on a 500 cert costing weapon, for instance. Maybe a 350 SC for a 1k costing one but even then I've bought my last 4 or 5 1k costing weapons with certs.
    • Up x 1
  3. sigur

Well, the first day the members deal was the 100 certs LMG... it's a little early to scream for the evil business plot
    • Up x 2
  4. LibertyRevolution

Yep, it suck seeing 50% XP boost on sale, a sale I don't have access to, on something I would buy..
    Well SOE could have made more money today if that boost was the normal sale instead the member sale...

Member specific things should only show up for members, I hate how games do this, I have the same gripe on BF3..
    I shouldn't have to make an X in the premium box, it shouldn't be there in the first place.
    Why show me premium stuff if I don't have premium..
    • Up x 1
  5. Dubious

If Member deals only showed up for members, the deal would be pointless..
  6. Finli

Because they want you to buy premium. This is a F2P game but people who pay are the ones keeping it running for the rest of us.
    • Up x 1
  7. PS2Freak

but, if they continue to have only cosmetic crap sales for normal players (i put about 140€ in game) - it would make me very unhappy, and if i am unhappy i dont buy SC anymore.
  8. Clonecenter-resident

They could also make more money today if you bought a membership so you could buy the members only deal. I think that's the angle they are going for. It makes more money for them in the long run.

Also, as a side note. Membership costs 15.00 per month (less if you buy longer sub.) For that membership you get 500 SC, and 48 certs per day. 48-12=36 36*30=1080. For 15.00 per month you get 1080 certs, 500 SC and 50% more certs from whatever you are doing. Assuming you do not earn ANY experience in a month, but log in every day for the certs you would be able to buy one 1k cert weapon ( which cost 700 SC) and have 500 SC. Total value is 1200 SC and that's if you don't actually play.

Long story short, a membership is a better use of your money than buying SC.
    • Up x 1
  9. Clonecenter-resident

They probably don't expect to get more than that out of you TBH.

After a certain point people stop spending money, either they have everything they want, or they realize how much they've spent and start to feel guilty, or they start earning enough certs that they can use certs instead. Either way 140 euros is like $400 (give or take a zero, i'm fuzzy on exchange rates) so you're probably getting close to the amount you would ever spend anyways.

I'm sure they have a spreadsheet somewhere telling them how much the average customer will spend etc. I just know it.
    • Up x 1
  10. LibertyRevolution

I wont pay a monthly sub on anything, I hate the entire concept of charging monthly for access to a game..
    So far I got $50 into this game, for a total of 15,500SC. ($15walmart cards and SC sale are great btw)
    They may get another $15 walmart card out of me, but $65 is where I'm topping out, same price as retail game.
    I have about 2000SC left, and 1000 certs unspent on 2 factions... Not really much I need anymore anyways..
  11. Andy79

Dont underestimate SOE's ability to add things that you may want, like flamethrowers or buggy upgrades.
  12. LibertyRevolution

I'm not seeing how subscription is better than buying SC..

Spend $15 and wait a month to get 1000certs and use that to buy a weapon.
    Spend $15, get 6000SC, spend 700SC on that weapon, and still be able to get 7 more weapons...

At 3xSC with walmart 500 bonus, it is is $1.75 for a weapon, not $7...
    If you wait for the item you want to go on sale for half off, then it is like the $0.88 I paid for my rocketpods.

50% XP boost cost 350 when on sale, so for 6000SC I could buy 17 weeks of 50%XP boost.

Eventually someday maybe membership will be worth it.. these exclusive sales are a step in that direction.
    I just wish they wouldn't tease the non members by showing them to us. :p
  13. Khangor

Okay so today I can buy a boost (have to check that upon arrival at home), can someone tell me if I can buy several boosts and use them later or if they are used immediately so I can only benefit from the low price until it is available the next time?
  14. WaitShift

People.... it's simple. Members pay, have guaranteed SC coming in, and have already paid.
    Give them two optional sales a day and the newcomers will not only spend more, but will also be enticed to spend more.
    This seems to be in line with the games current business model and is designed to get players to pay as much as possible upfront before they get tired of the game and quit playing.

What we really need is something to keep players longterm.
  15. hostilechild

They only offer **** that isn't selling in the store as a sale anyway or is no longer really useful. Only sale item i bought was the JackHammer just to say i have it and it was basically given away at the time because no one would buy the POS.

Would much prefer cosmetics on sale, might actually use one then.

So, Your not missing much.
  16. InvalidCast

I understand that they need to make the member daily deals more attractive to encourage people on the fence to get a membership but if they are making the standard deal cosmetic items and the member deal the good stuff they are just going to discourage people from spending money on this game.

Like many people I know I will never buy a membership regardless of how attractive they make it. I've never liked the monthly subscription model so I've never played a game that requires one and likely never will. I was even in PS1 Beta and loved the game but just couldn't convince myself to pay the subscription.

That being said I have spent money on this game and purchased some weapons at full SC price but at this point there is not much left I would be willing to pay full price for. There are some things I wouldn't mind having for my secondary classes but I will only buy those if they go on sale such as the Decimator, Lancer, SMG, AV Turret, and a few 1000 cert vehicle weapons. I will only ever purchase cosmetic items on sale as well and then only if I really like them (mostly just camos and a few helmets).

So, if this is the case...SOE will not be getting much more money out of me. I've put more time into this game than any other game I've played in a long time (original CS probably) so I do want to support the game as long as I see value in it.
  17. Captain Dirtnap

I could tell from the moment that I read about a second "elite" deal that this kind of crap would happen.

Today we have...

50% XP Boost for half off!

or

F**k you, have a hood ornament. (half off!)

Guess which one is members-only.

As someone who simply does not have that much free time for PS2 (Membership isn't worth my $), this is a slap in the face. Forcing me to pay Monthly so I can make intelligent purchases is ridiculous. Rubbing this fact in my face is insulting.
    • Up x 1
  18. PS2Freak

agree 100% ..
  19. Syphers

Im alright for the members to get extra discounts and stuff they deserve more than a mere xp boost but personally I unsubscribed because my real points of interest in their roadmap are far away and the infiltrator revamp is still unscheduled, I can't pay monthly for that, waiting months for classes tweaks that could be patched in a matter of weeks

And yeah from what I've seen so far the daily sales are usually junk or the most trivial cosmetic lol, the best I've seen so far was the Mercy sale 2 weeks ago
  20. Hamakua

ITT: People discerning trends from a sample size of 2.