Orbital Strike Gating Mechanisms

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by sustainedfire, Apr 4, 2013.

1. sustainedfire

Orbital Strikes, like them or not, are going to be in the game at some point.

I have been thinking about them, and their impact on the game. If they are a relative rarity, then they could add an interesting depth to the game.

Number One: They should be a High Cert investment. Possibly 2000 certs to unlock.

Number Two: They need to be consumable. Possibly a full 750 resources for 1, or 1500 resources being that you need 2 (750 each) in your inventory to "create" the device.

Number Three: They need to be on a hefty timer. 1 day timer minimum, perhaps even only 1 per week, per player.

Number Four: They should be counterable, if the enemy can stop you "channeling" or planting the device, then your orbital consumable is used up -though it does not initiate the timer, you can try again if you have the resources.

I think that is pretty reasonable. Thoughts?
    • Up x 1
  2. Tobax

I agree with long timers and needing resources to fire off an OS as in PS1 everyone ended up with them and AMS at every base would get taken out by them. But if it can be jammed then that's unfair on a player to have all their resources wasted/used if its not going to be fired, if they kept the resources and didn't get a time then it could be a good idea for the other empires to try and keep jammers up to prevent them being used.

Though note on the roadmap OS got voted down so theres nothing to say it's coming back for sure.
  3. Zaik

It needs it's own resource with no ties to any of the other ones, and that doesn't just automatically tick up.
    • Up x 3
  4. sustainedfire

So you are saying you have to earn them in some manner? Capture 10 Amp Stations, or some sort of sort of in game action?
    • Up x 2
  5. WaitShift

Who said they were going to be in the game?
    • Up x 1
  6. Wasdie

Devs keep pushing for it with their roadmaps.

An OS is the single best tool against a bunch of camping tanks. It was very effective in Planetside 1 and has its uses if implemented correctly.
    • Up x 2
  7. Zaik

something similar, yeah. no idea how the specifics would work but I think that under ideal conditions you should be able to get about one orbital strike's worth of whatever resource per day, and shouldn't be able to stockpile more than 3 ever. cooldown would need to be at least an hour, probably two.

of course, it needs to be buried behind pretty significant cert costs as well.
  8. ThundaHawkPS

Orbital Strikes were a good feature in PS1 when there were only a handful of CR4-5s. The long cooldown, rarity of people who had it unlocked, and the fact that they were generally used on (cloaked) AMS's that had to be pinpointed 1st made them tactical.

They got increasingly dumb when more people reached CR5. More and more Orbital Strikes on vehicle pad queues and such.

9. HadesR

SOE

So will cost 5 cert's, free to deploy and spammable every 2 minutes
  10. RHINO_Mk.II

How 'bout 2000 certs to launch one.

Seriously.

Nobody wants these spammed. Some of us don't even want them period.
    • Up x 3
  11. Dingus148

Then 2 weeks later nerfed into a glorified platoon beacon that everyone can see
  12. jdono67894

Plenty of stuff got more negative votes on the roadmap and are still being implemented, and the things that were taken out have been put back in to the roadmap.

The roadmap is useless, anything that is on there is going to be implemented sooner or later no matter how much people hate it.
    • Up x 1
  13. Armchair

I agree. But campers shed the most tears, and they'll cry and cry at anything that dares to kill them in their comfy camping spot.
  14. Deronok

Should require either a space station, or some kind of ground comms platform to even be able to use it.. something purely infantry based.
  15. Paperlamp

I will quit the game if they add orbital strikes.
    • Up x 1
  16. ChaosRender

So while the zerg is all stuck in say a Amp station waiting for it to cap so they can move on, someone can run up and just nuke the place and kill dozens of people? How is that fair?

While I agreed with orbital strikes when I started this game now i feel they would only be abused to the determent of the game as a whole. I can only hope that OS weapons locks your account for all the friendlies you kill because it will be a troll weapon.
  17. Sen7ryGun84

Orbital strikes are a horrible idea. We already have the tools to smash the ground from above en masse but people are too lazy to make it happen. Everyone just wants an "I win" button.

Want the power to vaporise a whole tank column in a few seconds? Then organise your outfit/platoon and use a fleet of libs to carpet bomb the area.
  18. miraza

Like what? I didn't see anything receive as many negative votes as the orbital strike
  19. SuBs

Must only be available to people in leadership positions. A platoon leader should be able to pass the ability to OS down to one of his subordinates, or use it himself when that platoon is full or almost full, and is operational (earning XP). There should be a separate currency/resource that operational platoons generate that funds the OS, along with a long cooldown.
  20. Goden

^^^^^^

I have doubts SOE has the ability to implement it in a balanced and useful manner such as it was in PS1.