[Suggestion] Finish off downed enemies with Nanite Toxin Dispenser (Light Assault)

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Neurotoxin, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Neurotoxin

Why the Nanite Toxin Dispenser?

Improving the utility of Light Assault on the battlefield would be achieved well by giving them the ability to finish off downed opponents using a Nanite Toxin Dispenser, so the target cannot be revived by a Combat Medic. This functionality is designed to prevent dying enemies from accumulating in an area where they can be easily revived, which means that medics have to get to downed allies quickly. This lets players break down enemy forces during battles of attrition, that occur when a team has lots of medics and cannot be cleared from an area.

How does it work?

This is not a long-range weapon, but instead a close-range tool like the Medic and Engineer tools. The tool suffers from heat like the Engineer tool. It can be partially applied, which reduces revive health by the application percentage if the target is revived, and allows the LA to finish off the rest of the work if they had to stop to midway through to engage a threat. The range and speed increase every level. All levels of the tool overheat after 5 seconds of consecutive use. The default tool doesn't start recharging until 1 second after application has stopped, but this is lowered to 0.5 at the highest level. Finishing off a downed enemy is worth 25 points.

Proposed Nanite Toxin Dispenser attributes per level:

Level 1 - 10 certs (to unlock) - Range 0.5 Meters - Completes in 2 seconds, 5 seconds vs MAX - 1 sec recharge engagement
    Level 2 - 50 Certs - Range 0.75 Meters - Completes in 1.8 seconds, 4.5 seconds vs MAX - 0.9 sec recharge engagement
    Level 3 - 100 - Range 1 Meter - Completes in 1.6 seconds, 4 seconds vs MAX - 0.8 sec recharge engagement
    Level 4 - 250 -Range 1.5 Meters - Completes in 1.3 seconds, 5 seconds vs MAX - 0.65 sec recharge engagement
    Level 5 - 1000 - Range 2.5 Meters - Completes in 1 seconds, 2.5 seconds vs MAX - 0.5 sec recharge engagement

Who would use this?

For the Lone Wolf Light Assault player, this allows the player to earn points by helping their faction with cleaning up dead enemies. Unless victims are somewhere that a medic wouldn't revive them, every downed enemy that recieves a dose of Nanite Toxins helps out the overall push to victory.

For Coordinated Light Assault forces, the ability to clear a point and make it stick is finally possible. Nothing is more frustrating than clearing half a platoon, just for a couple sneaky medics to bring the whole force back to life, and thsi gives a group of Light Assault soldiers the ability to penetrate an area with little respawn support and systematically pick it apart.

----------------------

ADDITIONAL SUGGESTION CONTENT

----------------------

How else could the Nanite Toxin Dispenser be designed?

Possible extra features and limitations (certainly not all of them, and possibly none of them, could be used):
    - Use on live targets, to apply a health-reducing effect that reduces health despite shields.
    - Use on live targets, to apply a toxin barrage that prevents revive when the player actually dies.
    - Use on live targets, to increase the damage deal to the target's health.
    - Use on live targets to apply the concussion grenade drunkenslow effect.
    - Instead of a heat system, the player has a finite amount of applications. The rate at which it operates to nullify revives is based on the level.
    - Instead of a heat system, the tool converts jumpjet fuel into toxins. Higher levels also drain less, or being closer to the target drains less.
    - Instead of a heat system, it just operates much slower if the player is further away.
    - Instead of leaving an enemy with less health, a partially-completed dose of toxin leads to the target taking longer to revive, and possibly not being picked up by a Revive Grenade if a certain amount of the dose has been applied.
    - Instead of leaving an enemy in a state where they cannot be revived, enemies are pumped with volatile chemicals, which causes the player to explode if a medic attempts to revive them. This is more of an alternate version of the tool, a Nanite Volatility Infector or something.

How does it work, from a lore perspective?

The Nanite Toxin Dispenser synthesizes chemical and biological toxins to try to outsmart the nanite immunoenhancement system of the common soldier. The tool analyzes the state of the target's vitals, and tries a barrage of toxins to see if any of them take effect or reveal a weakness. Based on the results of previous attempts, the tool attempts to hone in on deficiencies, to overcome the residual immunoenhancement nanites. The tool can run automated systems at close range, but more experienced operators can maintain analysis and transmission from further away. Due to the potential for supply contamination, Combat Medics cannot safely deploy both healing and toxic nanites, so the technology was instead integrated into Light Assault armament, and can be stored safely alongside jumpjet reserves. Due to the thickness and high presence of unutilized nanites, MAX users are more difficult to finish off with a dose of toxins. The tool overheats because the capacitors inside the vitals scanning system overheat with multiple sequential applications.
    • Up x 2
  2. Zorro

I am impressed with the effort you put into this. Although I would not use it myself, it would be a good addition.
    • Up x 1
  3. Dalzaar¤

Interesting concept and one that could actualy have it's uses in large battles.

Personally I think it sounds more like something an infiltrator would have and I would give it to them simply to stop them from moaning about how useless they sometimes feel.

Now that I think of it this could also work as a grenade just like the revive grenade does.

I hope the devs give a moment to think about your idea.
    • Up x 1
  4. Deathcapt

What about just adding "gibbing" into the game, when you die, you get 2x the regular HP pool, in this case we can say 2x hp+shields, so like 4k effective HP, When you take that much dmg after being downed, you are no longer able to be revived..
    • Up x 2
  5. Ghoest

I dont think preventing resuscitation would be good for the game.
    I usually die in places where I cant be ressed so its not an issue for me - but I think the would mostly just cause a lot of frustration for casuals and new players.
  6. Uzii

I'd prefer a grenade version, almost the opposite of the revive grenade. Any dead bodies (maybe alive depending on a balance perspective) caught in the radius would dissolve and cannot be revived. This would be a hard counter to the medic hordes which are incredibly hard to deal with, especially if they all have the top cert Medic Tool.

If it did effect alive enemies, there are possibly two ways it could work:
    1. No effect would be felt while alive, but once that player dies, they dissolve. Perhaps if they were killed within 1-2 minutes after the grenade denoted.
    -Or-
    2. Would drain health for so many seconds, which would easily kill anyone without a medic healing them, however the blast radius of the grenade would be much smaller. Dead bodies also in the radius would still dissolve.

A good idea though, non-the-less.
    • Up x 2
  7. Wolfwood82

It's a unique idea, however I can't see myself stopping to apply the effect to enemies in combat. A situation where a Combat Medic can revive a fallen soldier is a situation where an LA does not what to hesitate to deal with an already dead body.

In fact I find it hard to think of any situation where this would be overly useful. Certainly not worth a tool slot for. The only way this could be useful is if LA were able to "infect" people they shoot with their normal weapons with a nano virus that disrupts the revival process. The tool would automatically affect anyone shot by an LA and it's duration would increase based on level, increasing by .5 seconds per level.
    • Up x 2
  8. Iridar51

Neurotoxin
    Nanite Toxin Dispenser
    Toxin

i see what you did there
    • Up x 1
  9. Neurotoxin

Nanite Venom Dispenser then. Originally I was gonna call it a Nanite Intoxicator, but that is the name of nanite-enriched beer that VS soldiers drink, so it wouldn't make sense.