Vanguards, the most atrocious thing I've ever seen

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dave373, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Dave373

-area of effect radius/damage for the He, and Heat rounds was terrible before the nerf
    -almost to the brink of useless now, I find myself choosing ap(and getting more infantry kills with it)
    -3 rounds to kill a troop, 4 second reload time,
    -Tanks seem to only exist to kill other tanks
    -Ironically, it seems the Prowler is the only one who survived the nerf
    • Up x 4
  2. ChaosRender

I am told the Vanguard is good once fully certed, sadly I see very few of those and lots of stock ones, so they die fast. It also suffers from being the slowest tank, but most of all it suffers because of the shield ability, which nether of the other two groups have.

Yes the shield is nice but it is also mandatory, magburn and lock down are not. If they remove the shield the Vanguard could be balanced better and would probably preform a lot better at lower cert levels.
    • Up x 1
  3. Dave373

I'm really torn because, truth be told I think tank vs tank vanguard is probably the strongest there is. However, on average it takes about 3 shots to drop a infantry with indirect hits using HE and HEAT, and with a 4 second reload time its anything but effective.
    • Up x 3
  4. ChaosRender

Honestly the reason I think the vanguard is the worst of the 3 MBTs, and the reason I stopped using mine, is because it has the worst anti-infantry ability of the 3. It is the slowest tank with the slowest refire, so it is very easy to flank and destroy. Prowlers have two round to finish a attacker off with and the Magrider never has to stop moving due to it lack of muzzle instability while moving.
  5. Yoroi

I don't know where you took the "3 hits to kill infantry" thing - it takes 2, or 1 if it is a direct hit. And it is coming from a magrider's pilot, whose guns are weaker. Perhaps try aiming closer?

Oh, good. Still, you kind of forgot to mention the fact that magrider has no rotating main turret an as such often dies even having no idea where the killer is. So it is questionable which tank is the worst against infantry. (And as far as I can remember, some months ago some developer wrote that according to their statistics magriders are killed the most by infantry. Oh, and please do not confuse "killed the most by infantry" and "killed mostly by infantry". Some fools did, crafted a theory, started a holy war on forums, and as the result - mag was overnerfed, and buffed only weeks (or was it months?) later..)
    • Up x 1
  6. KlyptoK

This isn't 100% accurate.

Having a maxed time, maxed shield, maxed top speed, maxed zoom level, ect doesn't really help me kill people faster. Everyone over BR 10-15 still magically survives HE rounds and the splash. (Yes, even direct hits!) Part of that problem is that people don't even need flack armor to survive rounds, they can cert nanoweave and it's just as good plus it protects your from other things which makes specializing in flack armor pointless.

This should not be possible. Nanoweave should protect your from small arms fire only. Flack armor should protect you from explosion only. You need to make a choice about what you want to defend yourself against.

That and real tankers shouldn't have to suffer sea direct and indirect nerfs because other people spam tanks everywhere. There should be something like a very expensive lvl 2 vanguard unlock for people who are serious about this stuff and not driving around in some stock clown tank.

Besides I need something to unlock. I'm running out of things to cert on my tank. (herp derp extra ammo, oh gee)
    • Up x 1
  7. ChaosRender

Mags and Vanguard both do 1000 splash, the Van splash area on HE rounds is smaller thought form al the things i have read.

Honestly having to turn the whole tank is not a weakness on a magrider. If you get hit in a prowler of vanguard is hit they turn their barrel and try to fire back, the mag turns its whole body, so where the vanguard and prowler die to the second round to their rear the Mag does not. That and from all my testing the Mag turns as fast as a prowler/Van turret which is much faster than a prowler/van them self can turn.

I die to magriders by getting run over planting C4 because you won't get two rounds to there tail before they turn around and shoot you. I die to Prowlers getting two rounds to the face, so closing or flanking them is near impossible. Vanguards I don't see much save in zerg so I cant say as every thing ins zerf is nasty.
  8. Fivetide

Its not really a problem with the vanguard, but more a problem with HE rounds in general. Apparently they dont want you to use your tank to attack infantry even though most players are infantry. These nerfs just promote zerging and attacking outnumbered forces.
  9. KlyptoK

In beta HE rounds use to be borderline OP good and it was ok as long as there weren't a lot of people using it.

Now everyone and their mother can buy HE cannons and all of a sudden it's the mass extermination of infantry. So through a series of nerfs we now have HE rounds that are barely any different than HEAT rounds, only the suck more vs armor. I kinda wish there were tier lvls to this stuff so that even if you do lay down the $7 entrance fee you still need to cert upgrades over time that directly impact it's ability to kill infantry.
  10. teks

Vannys are gods in the tank vs tank arena. Remember when prowlers whined about how they were the worst against tanks?
    They got a nerf vs infantry along with thiet buff.
    Your better off as you are now.

Who is forcing you guys to use shield? You use it because its the best ability in the game. Its a counter against every attack. Pods flanks guided launchers etc...
    Rather then act like its an advantage you twist it so that it sounds like prowlers have an advantage because their ability sucks.
    Vanny is a defensive tank. Best armor plus shield. Its an awesome vehicle. If offense is your thing look at the lightning

3-4 he rounds to kill an infantry is bull
    Direct hit not killing an infantry is also bull.

Practice aiming its a little tricky. Infantry at crests of hills are espesially hard to hit.
    • Up x 3
  11. ChaosRender

My lighting lives longer that a vanguard because it is not a slow brick. And yes the shield is very good but the tank is balance around it being there so when it is not it sucks. So yes I would happily give up the shield to get a tank that preforms better.

And unless you have a fully certed shield or better anti tank rounds than the other guy, the prowler will out DPS you and the mag will out maneuver you. I really need to find that google doc that said the vanguard had the worst HE rounds of the 3 but the best AP.
    • Up x 1
  12. teks

Of course the prowler has more dps. What didn't you understand about defense? Maybe you should use the lightning if you want dps. Lightning is the second highest dps tank in the game.

Your the best anti tank tank because your tough and have a shield. Stop being a cowboy and get in an outfit. Stop being so surprised that your slow tank dies when you solo.

Seriously. You cant have the toughest and the fastest and the most damaging tank all in one. If you buff one end youll get the other end nerfed

HHow's bout we take your shield and give you deploy.
    • Up x 2
  13. KlyptoK

I would love a deploy.

The Vanguard looks more like it is suited for long range bombardment. I still miss the 4x zoom scopes on the main guns. Those were the best for range.
  14. Raneman

Is that why the Prowler is both the fastest and most damaging tank?

The shield is also broken, 1 shot from a Vulcan will disable it.
    • Up x 1
  15. TeknoBug

The VG was my primary choice of vehicle on my NC alt, now I don't drive any vehicle other than the Flash for when I need transportation.
  16. ChaosRender

I like how you assume I am soloing, or going with out a outfit, as this has nothing o do with my playstyle.

And all I am saying is the Shield is armor is worthless if the penalty for having it is you get hit more. And yes a Van will most times beat another tank due to Vans using AP mostly, but if you an the other tank are both using AP the vanguard will lose most of the time.

And I don't want a god tank, unless you think the prowler is a god tank. As it sits for me even though I love my Vanguard it not worth certing in to any more, as since you have better survival in a lighting.
  17. Nocturnal7x

Yea, I stopped using HE a wile ago. The projectile velocity of the heat is much better since you need to damn near hit the enemy with HE why not just use heat, and the high velocity of the heat makes it easy to just hit infantry. And any prowler or maggot running HE get ***** by me. Just an added bonus. Vanny is fine.
  18. Kediec

I'll just be happy for now if they fix the stupid rocking it does after firing a shot ( and NO i am not talking about the recoil ). You can be on falt ground, fire a shot, recoil kicks in and reload happens , then it starts to rock back and forth like a rocking horse ...... Have to move the tank to get it to stop.
    • Up x 3
  19. NoctD

The biggest problem with the Vanguard is the same one facing Prowlers and Lightnings too - at the moment all 3 can end up rocking like crazy making aiming almost impossible. I died in the Vanny last night - because some NC rookie in a base AV turret shot me in the rear. :mad:

What does SOE do? They release vanity tank plating, instead of fixing a game breaking tank bug.
  20. p10k56

In this game is it now only one tank which cannot kill infantry in one indirect hit and it is Prowler!!!!!
    I have see HAs with shields on surviving direct hit with AP(armor pierce) cannon.