Phoenix problem solved the wrong way

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Poka, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Poka

• Phoenix rocket effects will show at a longer range.
    • Phoenix damage has been adjusted in the following way:
      • Increased damage against all vehicles.
      • Reduced damage against infantry.
    The problem with the phoenix wasn't the OHKO it did to infantry, the problem was the invisible, silent, projectile that would kill people without them knowing there was a threat around. This is a slow moving, short range, rocket that is easily avoidable, if you can see it coming, that has a long interval between shots and requires the user to stand still unaware of their current surroundings while using it, it's a big investment with a significantly decreased reward.

I think it could be balanced with it's old infantry OHKO with a few graphic changes and one minor gameplay change.
    • Phoenix rocket now properly renders.
    • Phoenix rocket now has smoke trail following it for the first 100m.
    • Rockets now unable to be fired out of a spawn room.
    This would result in:
    -People being able to see the rocket and be able to sidestep or shoot it down.
    -People would be able to see where the person attacking from with the smoke trail, giving notice as to where the enemy is attacking from allowing them to either limit the angle the rocket can hit them from, or giving them an earlier warning to get ready to dodge or destroy the rocket.
    -The inability for the major drawback of the Phoenix, the immobility, to be negated by sitting in a spawn room.
    -Still rewarding the players who are able to honestly hit infantry.
    • Up x 6
  2. Zeke342

Why have an thumbs up if you don't have a thumbs down :/?

The OHK was the problem. The only problem. The ONLY thing that should have changed about the Phoenix was the OHK. Vehicle damage was perfect, speed was perfect, and ESF damage (while needing a slight buff in damage) should not have become a OHK.
    • Up x 9
  3. WantedOne

Fired at a max, he sidestepped and the rocket missed. The problem is the people complaining are standing still, or running very predictably. If SoE could make things render properly, I'm sure it would be less of an issue.
  4. Patooie

Sidestepped? Really? The collision box is huge. You just need to be in the right zipcode and it takes out inf. I'm actually happy to see the NC get something decent. The scat maxxes suck when you aren't watching for them but they aren't too tough to deal with as most of the players that use them aren't the sharpest.

I haven't run into many of the missiles but the collision box from a video I saw on another thread looks ginormous. Like you don't even need to be that close to inf to take them out. That seems a bit crazy to me but like I said the NC mostly suck at everything (as they are quick to point out themselves in many threads in the forums) so I'm glad to see them get some vengeance with a good weapon until the patch comes out with "balance".
    • Up x 2
  5. Tobax

They already fixed it so that you could see the rocket coming 2 days ago and it changed nothing, I mean come on lets not lie about what it could do, I was someone using the phoenix and the OHK on infantry WAS the problem.
    • Up x 1
  6. Skadi

That video had to be day one of the launcher, the camera was broke so it looked like it had a huge hitbox, when in reality if you actualy aimed the camera head on at them you would miss, you had to aim around them.

This was soon changed, as well as a massive nerf to maneuverability and speed, and now it got a major nerf to infantry damage and a -minor- increase in vehicle damage.... A SINGLE engi can still out repair it...

I was fine with a infantry nerf, but seriously? now its completely useless as any vehicle can out run it tbh, it does miniscule damage unless you hit in the rear, and then you might as well be using a decimator, and the only aircraft you are going to hit are absolute ******* who would sit still for a regular rocket.
    • Up x 1
  7. Armchair

It was a weapon that excelled at killing campers who felt that they should be safe silhouetting themselves against the skyline a few hundred meters from a battle. It was significantly less useful against moving targets or people in cover.
    • Up x 1
  8. Patooie

Ahh bummer. Thanks for the clarification. I'm sorry I couldn't find the post but you are probably right on when the vid was shot. I really like the faction specific gear and the cam-rockets are a great bit of kit. Having to overcome the tactics that a specific side has based on their weapons is IMO fun. I suppose we'll see if there is a huge drop-off in the use of the phoenix then we'll have the answer there.
    • Up x 1
  9. Skadi

Guarntee there will be A dropoff... ill keep mine just because its fun to use just because the way it behaves, but for the sakes for having a good weapon I hope they increase its AV damage/maneuverability/speed...
  10. Frigidus

No, this is definitely the right way to do it. I mean, they even paid you guys off with a buff to AV, you should be thrilled.
  11. Amrok1

Did you honestly just say the Phoenix does miniscual damage to vehicles? Decimator level damage, highest HA projectile damage against vehicles and that's miniscual to you? Try the lancer for a day.

Oh and there wasn't a maneuverability nerf. There was a speed reduction which was a maneuverability buff. It flies at ~145 kph with an acceleration boost after 100 meters, only ESFs can out run it. It can one shot ESFs even if an engineer is repairing it. It can two shot MBTs by circling the rocket behind the tank, first hit doing 2/3rds damage, meaning that at 100 meters you'll out damage the single engineer repairig it.'or you could always two shot the engineer instead.

Basically everything you said was complete and utter bs.
    • Up x 1
  12. Skadi

Ive already tried it, and if you look at any of my posts replying to lancer threads I fully support a buff to it as its complete rubbish no matter how you use it.
    • Up x 1
  13. Jakko

If you think these tears taste great wait till the max "balance"!
  14. Amrok1

You responding while I was adding to my original post. Out of fairness I thought I would point that out.
  15. Doctor?

I'll definitely agree there... but do you really think the Phoenix in its current (today) state is low on AV damage? There really isn't ANY launcher that can solo a tank or sundy if an engineer is repairing it, which is certainly how it should be. But the fact that the Phoenix now has Decimator level damage, but being a fully controllable projectile - unlike the Decimator's slow moving dumb fire - I don't see how this is anything but a potentially OP buff. I suppose the coming week will show us what the truth is.
  16. Skadi

Fine, ill give her another whirl before I make more responces.
    Maybe the VR room is being a PoS as usualy when trying damage (still cant harm infantry with it)
    Still need the fuel dial though, and imo a "Afterburner" that eats up fuel fast enough to reduce the range and ***** the maneuverability would be a nice addition...
  17. Guadoc

This is complete and utter BS as well.

You obviously don't realise that missiles in PS2 damage depending on where you fired it from. It is the same with dumbfire rockets, if you fire from the side of a tank and it moves forward and your missile happens to hit the rear armour you still get side damage even though it hit the rear. What matter is where you were in relation to the tank when the missile was fired, NOT where the missile hits the tank.
  18. Amrok1

You forget that the Phoenix is considered a vehicle the player enters. Damage for the Phoenix is relative only to its impact, not where the player originally shot from.
    • Up x 1
  19. axiom537

It has the same damage as the decimator, except the time between shots is 9sec @ 250m. I can fire 3 decimators in that same time frame and hitting a target at 250m with a decimator isn't too hard. As for doing it from cover, IMO that is over rated I can just as easily step out from cover fire my decimator, then move back into cover while it reloads, rinse and repeat.
    • Up x 1
  20. Jaes

The Phoenix being able to OHK on infantry WAS the biggest problem with it. Anything that tries to disregard that is absolutely ridiculous and I play NC.
    • Up x 1