Comet MAX still terrible... needs balance pass

Discussion in 'MAX' started by psychobilly, Mar 29, 2013.

1. psychobilly

A vanu MAX dies to one clip of a heavy assault, two clips of anything else. OK, so Vanu MAX are weak defensively...

Every time I play a comet MAX I die to an infantry walking up point blank and unloading. Can't do anything about it as a Comet MAX. By the time I shoot 3 rounds, an enemy can unload 2 full clips and still have health leftover. Infantry don't even need to dodge a Comet MAX - they just tank and laugh.

Bring back the awesome Comet MAX from beta that infantry feared going near. It could defend itself, and could actually take down vehicles. The current Comet MAX can do neither.
  2. OddChelsea

The only really good VS max is a burster max, imo. Anything else could be better spent elsewhere.
    • Up x 1
  3. Dramonicous

i never tried comet max in beta so i dunno about that one...
    still u only need 2 hits to kill a infantry with dual comets, the big problem is that u gotta aim alot to the right/left of ur target to hit.
    if u try to hit both shots at the same time then u miss 99% of them on targets at 0-15m ish.
    and against vehicles its just sad as hell...
    really there is no point in getting dual comets, u can only use 1 of them at best.

as for our AI weapons the stats on them r clearly bugged and underpowered.
    blueshift was supposed to be our counterpart to the TR mercy, but rather than superior accuracy it got a negative boost to accuracy (about 80% larger spread than stock). and cosmos that was only supposed to have a larger mag, also got a accuracy boost (not nearly enough to counter mercy dps/accuracy thou).
    in the end we r left with a sad *** **** max unit that struggles with killing anything above br20
  4. psychobilly

2 direct hits to normal infantry. Heavies just walk up, pop shield, and unload a clip until you die - they take a lot more than 2 hits to take down. They just stand in place and let you shoot them with your comet. Comet projectiles are supposed to tear right through thick steel plates of tank armor, but infantry laugh at them.

Back in beta the Comet had a four shot salvo before you had to reload. It never should have been nerfed in the first place - not sure why it was, it wasn't overused and had real utility.
  5. RobotNixon

Going Dual Comet, Falcon, or Pounder just isn't an effective implementation for MAXes in general.
    • Up x 1
  6. Dreadnaught Wrex

Trust me, VS MAXes arent the only MAXes who need better AV weapons.

But I can see why SOE did it in a way. Doesnt make much sense but I can see it.

I have to ask though, why are you using dual AV weapons to kill infantry?
  7. LibertyRevolution

Really? I guess I'm the only one that likes comet?
    Thing has no drop, you can see it you can hit it..
    Keep your distance, your not an NC max, your job is sniper max, not wall...
    It is like a OHK from anywhere..

Try and shoot the derps that are standing still in the real game too... make it a lot easier..

Dual Falcons for comparison:

I have a BR55 NC, and a BR15 VS... So lets be honest.. Vs got no reason to complain about COMET..
    VS AI weapons are garbage.. the fact they we even consider dual AV as a viable AI option should speak volumes.
  8. Takoita

I can dodge those comet shots in my MAX, so they are only really effective at close range. Slow projectile speed and high visibility kinda kills that weapon.
  9. Dawgpound12

I hope this post isn't serious.
    • Up x 2
  10. Ganjis

Before they were nerfed in beta, everyone was always saying AV MAXs were UP (back then you got both AV, both AI and no AA by default). The Comet was considered the best of a bad lot, but still less preferable than a default HA for killing vehicles. I am sure at some point I have had a vehicle killed by an AV MAX, but I honestly cannot think of a specific occasion, which is odd as it would likely stick in my mind.

When they had clip sizes reduced, I did a double-take reading the patch notes. The wording implied that AV MAXes were running rampant against tanks and spoiling the game somehow. It was like the devs were playing a different game to the rest of us.
  11. LibertyRevolution

I shoot the derps that are standing still...snipers, av turret users, parked armor..
    I'm not trying instagib some running infantry, all that would accomplish would be wasting my ammo.

If I tried to play my VS max like I play my NC max, I would get slaughtered...
  12. JudgeDeath

I have to agree ... I really hope this person is kidding or one tiny fraction of "hope in humanitys survival" is lost yet again.
  13. Naithe

Well be glad you don't have a pounder. Altho, the Idea of maxes having to be exposed to do damage is always bad. This goes for all three of them. Its not like you can win a tank and spank against a lightning, and it would be kinda booring if thats what it came down to. =)
  14. Kireles

Aren't all the AV MAX's dreadful in every scenario?
  15. Takoita

Well, only if you manage to sneak your way behind an MBT and get off a couple of salvos before dying...

Yeah, they are awful in practice.
  16. Sebyos

I just think the lack of velocity and damage doesn't even come close to balancing the awful Comets and their useless no bullet drop.

Dual Falcons work really well on anything. Dual comets... Seriously you can dodge the shot blind folded.
  17. Frosty The Pyro

Actualy all dual AV max are realy good at breaking vehicles, There are exactly three weapons that can be controled by a single player on the ground that can do more damage vs vehicles.

Prowler HEAT
    Prowler AP
    Vulcan

Dual AV maxs will out DPS every other tank or infantry gun in the game, if you want more damage you have to fly. you can burn down sundies great, you have huge ammo capacity so you will almost never find yourself staring at a vehicle with that sinking fealing your HA gets when your last rocket just isnt enouph. Take advantage of half cover, high ground, and your charge and you can solo Vans and mags and lightnings with consitancy even when they know you are there. You need to be sneaky vs prowlers though.
    I play duel falcons and duel commets, and do well with both. And if I had a TR character during the AV sale I would likely run duel pounders too (waitin for the next sale).
  18. OddChelsea

Not to take away from your point any but that is why every HA should run with one stick of C4 at least when vehicle hunting. It effectively eliminates this problem for at least one vehicle and C4 plus rockets will take anything down fast.
  19. jwiechers

Basically, I could just quote what Frosty the Pyro said and add a "for emphasis" below it. Dual AV-MAX is a highly effective unit and can easily take down any vehicle, including Prowlers.
    You have to be careful, yes, you cannot simply walk up to them, but I regularly kill half a dozen Prowlers and Lightnings as well as a couple of Sunderers whenever I go AV-MAX at a Tech Plant defense or at some choke point: it's absolutely trivial if you know what to do. If you don't, yes, two well placed shots from a Prowler will shred you. That's as it should be.
  20. Ganjis

At least in PS2 you don't need to switch suits to pick up an AV weapon or two when you need to. This is the main redeeming quality of these weapons for me, no need to waste two cooldowns.