Higby tweets Scattmax "rebalance" incoming for GU06..

Discussion in 'MAX' started by IntergalacticYoghurt, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Brusilov [TR]

False.

All MAX units are incredibly useful close range. AV are more difficult for TR and NC and NC AI is the most useful for close range.

I have to say, I will be sad if the NC MAX loses it's unique play style. Playing as TR or VS MAX feels about 60% different to NC MAX now. NC is all about hit and run tactics, rather than the constant sustained use of cover and fire tactics of VS/TR.
  2. Goretzu

Flamers and something long range for NC MAXs?

I really can't see how they can nerf shotguns for MAXs and still leave them as viable weapons, so I'd guess he means bringing in common-pool weapons that come close to or equal shotguns short-range and common-pool long range weapons that come close to or equal the current TR and VS ones.

It's probably the most sensible solution by far.

You can't really nerf this:
  3. Stigler

I think the game is getting boring and becoming easy mode, hence I play less. Sounds like I will be looking forward to Arma III and BF4 more and more. I play a VS MAX a lot, granted I fight TR twice as much as NC but NC MAX is only situationally an issue. I am outdoors and indoors and outdoors the NC MAX even with slugs is no match in "most" cases for a dual AI VS or TR.

If they nerf the regular shotgun it will be useless, I have one and rarely use it. Only the pump should get nerfed.

I am glad of these changes, I need to go back to my simulations and strategy and leave the masses to the 1v1v1 on all classes.
  4. Plunkies

I look forward to going back to this....

• Up x 1
  5. Devrailis

This is actually getting me really excited about the MAX update.

Better farm up some more certs to see what new toys we get to play with. :cool:
  6. Naithe

That is the wrong way to use cover as a max no matter which empire. all the shots from one arm are getting blocked, he'd notice if he played on higher detail. If he had used the cover, to move a step or two out and shot, he'd have won, then proper use dictates retreating to cover while reload. I wn't comment on wether its easy or not, but that recording is simply flawed.
  7. Plunkies

Did you even play beta? There was no winning that fight even in ideal situations with perfect play. That's why NC was the only faction to use the common pool flamethrowers when they existed.
  8. Naithe

Did you ever play a max? Because if you did you'd know what I'm on about? Frankly the way he uses cover its 1 scatmax arm, vs 2 cycler arms... you do realise half his shots hit the doorway the way he stands right? If you don't try to use a max unit in VR, and stand like he did, but with graphics on to shot bullet holes. I recon you'd know better afterwards.

Also those movies are without extended clip, and generally the hacksaw for some reason seems to perform better at beyond 5 yard range in max v max fights. (dunno how, but atleast when I use in vr, I can kill a max with about 4 shots left, at 10m range, with hacksaws, but with scatter I have to reload.).
  9. Plunkies

"Oh if he had played absolutely perfect he might have won a fight at a range where he's supposed to have an advantage in the first place."

I think you're missing the point of both the video and the reason it was posted.
  10. Naithe

And what did you mean by it, other then showing a rather incompetent use of a scatmax?
  11. Plunkies

His play is neither particularly bad, nor relevant. I have several thousand more max kills more than you, not including beta and tech test. I assure you, the fight was unwinnable. The point is that the current max and that worthless beta max are only separated by 2 rounds in the mag. The scat max is only good at one thing, and any significant nerf to that one thing makes it utterly useless.
  12. Naithe

So where are my previous statements wrong? We don't even know how they will change it? How the hell is it not stupid for him to move AWAY of the cycler max, when it is already that close, and then blocking one of his arms with the door way in the process? And why isn't he simply staying in the door way waiting for the max?

As someone who has several thousand more max kills then me you MUST know about this right? You'd properly even know when its best to retreat, when to wait for someone in the door way, and when to peek out and go back in, depending on the overall circumstances.... Right?

Maybe in beta (early) it was unwinnable, i know cycler maxes where op at one point.(back when you could spawn as one). But thats not how it is now is it? What if they reduced damage fall off but also reduced damage at short range? What if they reduced the ROF?

Currently if you do what i mentioned above the scatmax simply just wins unless overwhelmed by superior numbers.
  13. Plunkies

I've already explained why you're wrong. Whether he played perfectly or not is irrelevant. He could not have won. Did you not notice the video said "part 3"? They already showed how the NC max lost at point blank range as well. He moved away because he needed to be positioned to take cover, and trading with the TR max shot for shot would cause him to lose at any range.

As far as I'm aware, the cycler max was never nerfed and the scat max was only given more ammo. That's the only difference. The DC max was considered op when they had no cooldown and you could spam them out constantly.

The point is, the scat max has no middle ground. It's either garbage or it's considered OP. It's OP if it wins close range duels with maxes (currently), and it's worthless if it loses close range duels with maxes because that means it loses all fights entirely (beta). The whiners are whining because the NC max wins close range max duels.
  14. Zorro

Originally posted in the roadmap, this suggestion should balance as well as greatly improve the MAX class.

Here are some ideas I came up with last night:

More abilities:

Lockdown: The TR lockdown would make the MAX stationary but with a faster reload speed and slightly more durability. Trying to run down (with a vehicle) a TR MAX with lockdown would result in more resistance. This ability would be good for defense.

Shielding: The NC shield would act like a cross between the Vanguard and Heavy Assault shield. Like the heavy assault, the MAX's speed would be reduced but more damage could be absorbed. Like the Vanguard, this shield could only be used once in a while and would last only for a few seconds. This would be ideal for breaching into buildings.

Super Jump: The VS ability would be that of a "super jump;" that is, the ability to jump onto single-floor buildings with one leap. In addition, the VS MAX would have a higher jump height (passive benefit) than the other MAX units, regardless of whether the Super Jump is equipped.

Smokescreen: This would be a common-pool ability. When activated, a cloud of smoke would surround the MAX, making it harder to hit it.

Optics (since each mouse button controls a weapon a different button would have to be assigned for optics):

Night vision: Basically what the night vision is for other classes and vehicles. This would make using a MAX at night more rewarding.

Zoom: This would allow the MAX to magnify his view, making long-range combat more profitable.

Heat vision: This would allow the MAX to more easily discern targets from the environment.

Weaponry:

Close range: Shotguns would be available for the MAX of each faction. The TR would have an automatic shotgun with the individual shots doing less damage, but at a high rate of fire. The NC would keep the shotguns they have now. The VS would have a "shockwave" capable of knocking enemy infantry back. The common-pool could be a flamethrower. Also, please make MAX suits more resilient against shotguns and flamethrowers (they are heavily armored, after all, and those weapons are designed for softer targets).

Medium range: TR and VS would keep the weapons they have now. However, the NC will also have medium-range weapons, slower firing than the other two empires but harder hitting (I am thinking of a gauss rifle mounted on each arm).

Long range: TR would have an automatic but accurate weapon designed like a fully automatic battle rifle. The NC would have a powerful, but slow-firing railgun. The VS would have a highly accurate "cannon" like the Saron SRB or the Lancer.

Anti-vehicle: In addition to the default anti-vehicle weapons, MAX units could have a homing projectile suited for medium range. Anti-vehicle weapons would be buffed against MAX suits (while anti-infantry weapons would be nerfed in the same manner), giving them more utility in fighting enemy MAXes.

Grenade launchers: MAX units should have grenade launchers that bounce around and deal explosive damage to infantry.

Melee weapons: TR would have bladed fists, the fastest of the three but with the least damage. NC would have a large hammer, swinging slowly but with enormous damage. VS would have a sword, in between the two in terms of swing rate and damage but able to block melee strikes of the other MAX's.

Exo-suit (similar to chassis for vehicles):

There should be lighter MAX chassis (perhaps called the Beserker) that enables the user to run faster and jump higher. However, this would be at the cost of durability and armor.

There could also be a heavier MAX exo-suit (maybe called the Juggernaut), slower but able to absorb incredible punishment.

Finally, there could be an exo-suit that gives faster reload and a faster turning rate (perhaps called the Marauder), but cannot use any melee function (this includes punching).

The new abilities and exo-suits would provide new strengths and variety for MAX's. New weapons would help balance them. Differences across factions should not be based in types of weaponry, but rather how they function. Though small arms would deal less damage against MAXes, armor-piercing ammuntion would be available, dealing extra damage against MAXes in return for some other damage.
    • Up x 1
  15. MadRon101

I've already gone back to the SMG over the shotgun most of the time.
  16. Olek

The NC MAX in your clip only has a 5 round mag, I think most serious NC MAX players have 12.
  17. jeuvisage

Yeah, that video is really old (Sep 5th 2012) and no longer relevant. All the MAX shotguns come with 7 or 9 and then the +5 extensions. At that range with dual hacksaws, the TR MAX would have died before he got off 1/4th the NC MAXes health. Although at 10 meters or further the TR/VS would win. See the video Goretzu posted above.
  18. Olek

Outside the 10m the NC MAX can use the falcons, I got messed up by one tonight, I will say I was checking out the map when he hit me, but at 560 damage (after 25% reduction) with each hit, he only needed to reload and then I was toast.
  19. Replay

Id like to see a damage reduction and the choke adjusted for longer range for the scatmax. This would allow skilled players to still drop people with headshots close and then be decent at further distances.
  20. smoke eater

Not saying that the TR MAX is OP, I'm saying that when the NC MAX gets nerfed the next thing people will be saying is OP would be the TR MAX. There is always one faction vehicle (counting the MAX as a vehicle instead of a character) that people say is OP. With tanks it was the mag, then the prowler etc. I just figured that the same will happen with MAX's.