A buff to the gun that shoots around corners? I'm boycotting any further purchases, including subs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TotalNoob, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Zenith

I have to agree, it's the usual 'I died to it therefore it must be OP' nonsense. The Phoenix is pretty good, but the Striker is way more dangerous to vehicles, and being used in larger numbers if my NC/VS experiences are anything to go by.
  2. Kubor

There is nothing remotely wrong with the Phoenix (apart from its underwhelming AV damage) in its function. It's good for "scouting" and great for finding those pesky Engineers hiding up on rocks with their AV turrets firing their invisible missiles of doom (far more annoying than the Phoenix IMO). The other ESL's can't do those things which is good, because we all want diversity and Empire specific indentity in Planetside 2.

It can be fired from cover, which the other ESL's can't, which is a major hallmark of the Phoenix that harks back to PS1. Those things are great and represent strengths that can also be the weaknesses of the weapon and exploited by the TR and VS.

The only thing that is wrong with it is its AI capabilities. Never mind all the white noise from the NC sheeple that want to keep their camera guided Noobtube. All gamers that are interested in genuine balance (including numerous level headed NC players) know that for the sake of balance and fair gameplay, it needs changing.

I'm sure it will continue to be tweaked until it is fair again and becomes a competitive AV weapon whilst keeping its unique NC identity.
  3. Rustler

it wasn't instakill.

Did you even play PS1?
  4. CaptAmazing

To both of you: The Phoenix missle flies with 360 k/ph. Thats equall to a tank round. Don't tell us with a straight face you can actively "sidestep" tank rounds - if that would be the case they didn't need to nerf the Prowler (with that I am ok btw) because you all could have "sidesteped" the rounds.

Secondly: Do you really think you can shoot down a rocket that flies with that speed and is this small? Just because Higby said it can be done, it doesn't mean its actuall realistic. Thats stuff which happens in Matrixs movies, but not in PS2.
  5. Rudette

The Phoenix has changed the flow of the battlefield-- But it's really not that bad. I've lost a Prowler or two learning how to adapt to the weapon. You have to hug cover, it's turn speed keeps it from getting to you. If there isn't sufficient cover for a tank but there are plenty of cliffs and vantage points then a tank is not as viable until they are dealt with.

"Q.Q I got one hit killed by the pheonix Q.Q" So ****** what?! Go insta-respawn at the nearest sundy and re-engage accordingly as you would with any other situation.. Because guess what? A Phoenix nest is a sniper's cert farm! You are TR--Tactical Superiority and all that--Act like it.

Really. You whiners should just stop playing or go join NC if you think they have it so much better...

Actually, you should just quit, because if you joined NC you'd lose your scapegoat and would just have to deal with the fact that YOU made a series of bad decisions that lead to your failure. And even though I am honor bound to hate NC I wouldn't wish your incessant crying in anyone's platoon chat.

You don't deserve to be TR.
    • Up x 3
  6. ExarRazor

because in ps1, infantry av didn't one shot other infantry

in ps1, it tooks something like 6 phoenix missiles to kill an infantry, more than enough time to either get to someplace you couldn't be hit by it, ot you could simply outheal the damage, and the phoenix user would eventually look elsewhere

in ps2, the phoenix one shots infantry. none of the defenses built into ps1 work in ps2, and it's incredibly unbalanced in ps2.

and fyi, the phoenix was STILL considered overpowered in ps1
  7. FieldMarshall

Because in Planetside it was just annoying but nothing really threatning against infantry. You still had people sniping with it but it took like 5 hits to kill infantry.
    And everyone was running around with MedApps and repair tools that you could use to self heal faster than the damage you took.

Only people really bothered by it was Maxes cause they had nowhere to hide outdoors.

Except, you know. Snipers cant shoot around corners unlike the Peenix
  8. Triclops

Pheonix has no range.. compared to Striker and somewhat Lancer. Lancer is harder to use because if you are off a hair in your aim you miss all damage..moving targets even harder.. But the Range on Striker and Lancer is light years beyond Pheonix.

I have been killed just as much while guiding my rocket as I have kill shots on infantry..

I mean you might as well not even waste a rocket on a ESF.. if you miss you are stuck in camera mode and the guy seen you shoot it.. so you are pod'd to death before you can even get outa camera mode.. And only time that happens is when they are super close.. I dont even try to shoot at ESF anymore unless its hovering low in one sport or repairing.

So basically its useless vs one of the things it was made to counter or so I thought... Its gimicky ..

Pheonix good vs close armor, horrible vs ESF
    Striker good vs anything at any range it can get a LOCK ON, even if you dont hit a esf they waste flares.
    Lancer is just MEH.. Need perfect aim and even then damage seems lackluster..(damage issue could just be due to aim tho)
  9. Sinoby

10. Vaphell

now look at
    - avg kills/hr (BR40+) 18.31 vs 7.26 and 3.60
    - vehicle kills/hr (BR40+) 7.58 vs 10.80 and 6.41
    it's slightly worse than striker at killing mech (probably because people are busy farming squishies effortlessly instead of shooting at tanks) but completely dominates in kills (~2.5x more)
  11. Revanmug

You can't tell that but I can tell you the strikers can be use against land AND air vehicule. That alone is a big enough reason to have a higher vehicule kill than anything else.

The Phoenix with its new lower speed and 0 starting acceleration is even worse at taking care of this very type of vehicule. Because of this, the Phoenix will never be as effective as most launcher in the AV department.
  12. illgot

wouldn't it be better if this did minimal personal damage (very minimal) but dropped the infantry players shields?

Then in return disable any vehicle for 5 seconds but did less vehicle damage?

Turn it into more of an EMP type rocket?
  13. -Synapse-

Strikers*
    The things might as well shoot hardened cat turds for all the damage it does. It's only dangerous in groups, which nicely embodies the TR mindset of strength numbers.
  14. HadesR

Bit like the Phoenix vs Armour .. But its greatest strength can also be it's weakness .. Due to it's no LoS firing unless you are working in an organised squad the chances to pick different targets is high.. Making the dmg vs vehicle's meh at best
    • Up x 2
  15. BennyB

Let me be the first to tell you that your NC brethren are better with the Phoenix then you; they appear to have little difficulty picking off infantry that are on the move.

How many have you shot down? You should try it. It doesn't render 95% of the time. When it does, you pretty much need a burster, and even that is a big waste of time.
    • Up x 1
  16. PS2Freak

phoenix come -

17. Kinj

Of course, you're generalising. You may as well say 'every Phoenix missile I've ever seen has always hit infantry, even when moving' - but you of course cannot quantify that with any hard data. The phoenix missile is exceedingly unwieldy unless you have a 3 meter wide mousemat and Mr Fantastic arms. I suggest that YOU try using one. The grass is distinctly as muddy coloured as it is over there buddy. I would suggest that sometimes yes, a phoenix missile will kill an infantry who's too dumb to move. The same way they can be killed by any of the existing launchers if fired well.

'They appear...' is no different to 'In my opinion', which of course is totally subjective and of no real use to anyone.

All this ranting about the Phoenix started even before the thing was released, before anyone was aware of any of it's abilities. And now it's here, you're simply trying to perpetuate the myth so as to keep your faction advantage over the NC, who arguably have to field more skilled players than the VS/TR due to the weapon mechanics. This is hardly surprising, players have wanted to be OP and remain OP since the inception of the video game. No one likes to lose after all. hen I'm in the air I DESPISE the striker, but I've made not one complaint about it. Not one. Instead, I'll try to become a better player to counter it.

Don't pretend your whining is anything other than what it is: An unnecessary waste of bandwidth which achieves nothing, except maybe to give you a higher blood pressure.
    • Up x 1
  18. Kinj

I'd also like to point out that I'd be totally fine with this thing having no effect against infantry. Personally I think wasting a missile on an infantry is completely foolish. I'd much prefer to have it used against vehicles which are a much bigger threat to my teambuddies.

Leave sniping to the snipers (but of course, let's not pretend that people don't whine about THAT, too....)

Also - I haven't even bought the thing as I'm not convinced it's all that better than the other launchers.
  19. Eclipson

Yep, I can shoot down you 2d 10 k/mh tiny missiles, which only render half the time. I stood at the crow, since the NC was spamming them their, and focused completely on trying to soot down pheonix missiles. I think I hit one once.
  20. Kinj

and you've died to them how many times? Try not to lie.