Solstice SF Worth Getting?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Malebranche, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Malebranche

I'm terrible when it comes to infantry, I tend to shoot wildly and never can tell where the enemy is. I'm currently using the default Solstice but is the SF an upgrade over this? What's the advantages of an under barrel shotgun or grenade launcher? Is it worth getting this or should I just stick with the default?

I play for free by the way so this will be a big investment (currently half way there) so I'd like to hear opinions before I got for it. Thanks.
  2. bNy_

No weapon is worth getting for certs tbh.
    • Up x 1
  3. Artifex78

It's only worth if you use the underbarrel gren launcher (the shotty sucks imho). But it takes some training/skill to use it properly. Just go to the VR and try it out first.
  4. Stigler

I play a good amount of Engineer and LA and purchased the VX-6 first which I love.(loved it more before nerf) I am also going to get the Solstice SF because I want the grenade launcher and the smoke. If you have certed C-4 and mines the smoke can be very useful as cover for ambushing tanks and Sunderers. The grenade launcher is also really good if you have good aim but will take time to master. There are certain bases on defense or offense where the grenade launcher or smoke launcher can come in very handy.

It is a weapon for a different playstyle (smoke/grenade) than just a pure gun. It also has decent stats for a carbine.

In fact overall for versatility I would recommend the Solstice SF.

Carbine stats.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...INE&sortcolid=-1&sortasc=true&rowsperpage=250
    • Up x 1
  5. Ganjis

If you are a poor shot and like engineer then the Pandora full-auto shotgun is great fun when used appropriately. With extended mags it will kill two enemies from carbine hip fire range comfortably or 3-4 up close (if you live that long) before needing to reload. The only weakness it has is that it goes through its small ammo pool quickly, but that is not a problem for engineers :). It also has the advantage of unlocking for every other infantry class.

The SF is nice for the UBGL, but is not quite as powerful as the default apart from that (you also miss out on laser sights / foregrip if you use this). I bought it on sale when it was something silly like 80% off with station cash (I had some left over as it happened). I don't think I would have bought it for full price/certs though.

Some people swear by it, but for my money (or certs) your shotgun of choice is better.
    • Up x 1
  6. Slive Draver

Solstice SF is a great gun for the engineer. With the night-vision scope and underbarrel smoke grenade launcher you're a real force.

Your ammo pack WILL restore your smoke grenades; if you're playing defensively around your ammo pack, you can keep the field covered in smoke at all times.
    • Up x 1
  7. Ioan92

This weapon has tremendous versatility. It's basically the jack of all trades, master of none weapon for either engineer and la.
    Rule of thumb for this weapon is not to be cocky with your engagements..
    You may lose to jump encounters, but med range is where this carbine excels.

Remember; short, controlled bursts.
  8. Rickenbacker

I like the smoke laucher, which is why I got the equivalent carbine for my TR engi. Didn't bother with the grenade launcher, though, as I tried it in VR and found that it had a range of about three inches. It's useless. Smoke works, though. Equipped with an IR sight, you can pop a smoke, shoot people through it and then drop an ammo pack to get more smoke.
  9. AssaultPig

it's only really worth using if you want the underbarrel launchers; the ability to fit all kinds of attachments is nice but if you want performance for a specific situation you'd be better off getting a specific weapon for the purpose.

With that said the UBGL is a lot of fun to use (especially as an engineer) and underbarrel smoke is a lot more useful than smoke grenades (more accurate, longer effective range, instant smoke) in situations where you want smoke.
  10. Rown

Underbarrel grenade launcher, for all the criticism it receives is very close to be op, an easy kill on enemies between 10-30 meters more or less even if not aiming very well, with unlimited ammo since you can provide it. The underbarrel launchers are however the only possible reason tu use the gun, there are better options if you value other qualities more.
  11. RealityWarrior

I run the Greande Launcher, Laser Pointer, Suppressor, High Velocity Ammo, and 2x open sight. Works for me
  12. RealityWarrior

I run the Greande Launcher, Laser Pointer, Suppressor, High Velocity Ammo, and 2x open sight. Works for me