[Video] In Before the Nerf...The Phoenix

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Badname82, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Eyeklops

QFE
    • Up x 1
  2. KNFr-Rhe7oric

Well played, OP, well played. I approve.
  3. Scorponok

well the pheonix damage nerf is really needed it becomes stupid when most of NC sit behind rocks firing down infantry instead of taking out armor...killing infantry that way you have snipers for distance kills..
  4. Springheel Jack

I'm gonna write a new book, called 50 Shades of **** that ****.

Although I will say I've only been killed by a Phoenix once, and killed at least half a dozen people firing them.
  5. Icedaemon

I am particularly impressed by the number of TR and Vanu good sports in this thread. With TR posters in particular this appears to be the majority. Cheers, all of you.

To be honest, the difficult thing about nerfing this weapon would probably be figuring out exactly what to do to make it easier to counter without doing something completely silly. It's a slow-firing missile launcher - you can't really expect it to not one-hit-kill infantry on a dead-on shot. What would be the in-universe explanation for doing reasonable damage to armour but hardly any at all to infantry?

Making the payload a shaped charge so that it effectively has no splash versus infantry and shrinking the missile's hitbox would ensure that this weapon needs a proper direct hit to kill infantry. This is probably the most logical thing to try first before more drastic measures are undertaken. However, there would probably be plenty of people who would still call the Phoenix too overpowered even then.

Another solution would be making them easier to counter - the Striker is currently effectively a 'do you have flares that you can use right now?' check. Anyone using an aircraft they haven't put those certs in will go down. Haven't really seen or heard what Strikers do to vehicles yet. The Phoenix missile can be shot down, so slowing it down may be a viable option. It's already bright glowing blue, so recognition ought not be a problem.

Finally, if they did bring back weapon-looting as existed in PS1, that would probably lead to some hilarious situations.
  6. Phrygen

same. I have avoided NC on my TR since it was released. The thing is OP like mad.
    I'd have bought it but i knew it was getting nerfed the moment it came out.
  7. Phrygen

no he couldn't have. Sniping is actually difficult to do on moving targets.
    • Up x 1
  8. Kubor

Also, the difference is that a Sniper rifle is actually designed to snipe with and you won't be blowing any vehicles up with it. The Phoenix is AV and should not have any bearing on Infantry combat any more than the Lancer or Striker should.

I'm still enjoying how some NC players are still insisting that it's incredibly hard to kill Infantry with a Phoenix whilst at the same time complaining about the AI damage being toned down.

If it's so difficult to do then losing the ability altogether is not going to matter at all.
  9. Dusty Lens

I think that's more or less based on most of us agreeing that the weapon is absolutely hilarious. With the exception of a few apologists we're content to chuckle until it's fixed in the next patch. It's not like one of those "Nah man Prowler is ok l2p/scatmax is ok l2p/I rolled TR for 8 minutes and got a 8.4 K/D with the Carv killing 38 people per second omglol/I rolled a VS for 3 seconds and got 843 kills with the default medic gun no aim sniper drop lol l2p" trolling nonsense that usually goes around.

This is funny. You hear a vuaaaaaaaaah then 18 people fall over dead. Soon it'll be corrected. No one has dropped 8000 certs into a weapon platform that was allowed to persist in utterly broken form for 4 months. It's not going to stay as it is. In the meantime, lawlz.
    • Up x 1
  10. Hellspawn

Aahaha!!! I play VS and think the video is a riot!

MORE!!! Maybe add the Benny Hill music to it and get some footage of chasing people with the rocket.

• Up x 1
  11. SinerAthin

Aiming?
    Skill?
    Tactics?'

T'is but nonsense to the almighty Phoenix!
  12. Liberty

Why snipe from 300 M like this :

When you can snipe from 300 M like this :

But seriously to the OP, that video was hilarious. If I played NC or had access to something like the Phoenix I'd be goofing off 200 M outside of bases seeing what I could find. :D

*Edit* Had a bit of lag in the second video from uploading the first.
  13. Revel

You know what pisses me off the most about this? SOE already learned this lesson years ago when it nerfed the Phoenix and Lancer damage vs infantry to almost nothing in Planetside 1 because people were using them as long range sniping weapons against infantry. I KNEW when they said they were going to add these that they would do this. This was simply nothing more than a cash grab to sell as many as possible at 700 SC a pop before "fixing" it.
    • Up x 2
  14. ABATTLEDONKEY

Then i would suggest that the striker to changed to make it on par with the phoenix, and not nerf the phoenix to the useless level of thestriker.
  15. Jeralamo

When watching the OPs video i dont know why but i just kept eating my cereal faster and faster...my stomach hurts:oops:
  16. Hovis

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  17. Puppy

18. K3STR3L

I am guessing by your continuous posting saying this launcher is fine, that your faction is NC, am I right?

Keep posting these videos guys and people like hawken and the "I want my OP weapon to stay as it gives me a huge advantage" crowd will have to shut up and admit it is overly powerful for infantry and underpowered against vehicles.
  19. Rustler

Phoenix
    [IMG]
    Kills
    Score
    AF-19 Mercenary
    [IMG]
    Kills
    Score
    GD-22S
    [IMG]
    Kills
    Score

Score/Minute
    K/D Ratio

lol....This guy already passed his most kill swith guns by using the phoenix in like a week...

This how a bad player actually become "good" lol.
    • Up x 1
  20. Tasogie

watched half of that, this is why the game is in such a mess. I get the idea they wanted ot make it fun, but this usage of the weapon is the definition of poor game play by the playerbase.