Question about cuda core allocation and physx dedication

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by kamiccolo69, Mar 24, 2013.

1. kamiccolo69

Hello Planetside 2 Guru's! I am in need of guidance. Here are my specs.

i7 2600k 3.4ghz OC to 5ghz (stable)
    4x4 GB ddr3 1600 MHz ram XMP profile (stable)
    2x GTX 560 TI OC edition 830 MHz OC to 1000 MHz core, 4000 MHz memory clock OC to 4300 MHz (stable)
    Corsair AX1200 power supply
    1x Corsair 120GB SSD
    Corsair H100 Water Cooling

The problem is running GPU PhysX at the same time as SLI.
    While having my cards in SLI mode and PhysX on my second card (not dedicated) my frames dropped. From a solid 60 fps everywhere to 24 fps non changing. At this time I alt-tab out of the game and go to my GPU monitor.
    Both my cards are at this time limited to 50%-55% because of PhysX being enabled.
    To my knowledge the game must be forcing single AFR while NVidia's drivers are forcing AFR2. So this will only happen when the GPU PhysX is come across in game. For example at any warp gate all frames drop dramatically because of the GPU PhysX and both my cards are capped at 50%.
    My question is, should I be setting my CUDA cores specifically to 1 card and the PhysX to the other while in SLI MODE. My experiment which seems to be going quite well. But I still need your guys advice on the matter.
    Or should CUDA be forced to the same card as the PhysX is being set to?
    Personally I got massive frames increase when I put my PhysX to my first card and CUDA to the second but I still got frame drops when neither of my GTX 560 TI's are not even close to maxed.

P.S. With GPU PhysX off, 60 fps everywhere with maxed quality settings in game. Everything maxed. Including dabbling with the ultra settings.

Much appreciated Guru's! First Post! Thank you for your time.
    Kamiccolo
  2. Aparition

As far as I know forcing PhysX to one card while using SLI doesn't work. SLI makes the GPU's alternate frame rendering. Forcing 1 GPU to process PhysX ontop of frame rendering conflicts with the other card.
    When my SLI was still working I just left PhysX on Auto.
    I also just left the Frame Rendering on auto unless I ran into issues, then I would try Alt 1/2.
  3. UnrealGaz

you know what this actually makes sense too me.

Phys x effects are sometimes "out of sync" when I enabled them thus causeing a spikeing of fps but when I put it too cpu too use phys x it still does it.
  4. kamiccolo69

Ok just to be clear, I am not forcing PhysX at all to 1 card. I am not checking the dedicated box. There for its not 100% dedicating just PhysX to the card. So yes it works in SLI mode and throws the PhysX usage on top of the games processing usage. Literally my second card will be at say 85% usage and the first will be 65% because PhysX is being supported on only 1 card. This is with both cards enabled in CUDA.
    When I enable CUDA on only 1 card (say GPU 1) the GPU usage raises slightly on GPU 1 and drops slightly on GPU 2 because the games only using 1 cards CUDA for processing.
    I'm just trying to smoother out the game play. Because I still get 50% lockage on both cards with GPU PhysX turned on.(only in areas where PhysX is enabled, like elevators for a few seconds and warp gates) Now i'm trying to get this to work properly that's why I'm trying every option to get the PhysX working smoothly.
    So far enabling PhysX on the first card significantly smoothed out gameplay. Pretty much the game thinks there is only GPU 1. So PhysX is applied properly. The games PhysX is not trying to overwrite NVidias base AFR setting for SLI. (the games PhysX is not even seeing the second card) But only got this when forcing CUDA to GPU 2. Wanted to know what your thoughts were on the matter and if there is a proper way to get GPU PhysX working 100% in SLI mode.
    And I have not changed the rendering settings at all. They are on Nvidia recommended (SLI) from profile.
    And if im wrong or not understanding something properly please tell me. Thanks again guru's!
  5. go4life

^ No doubt an interesting post you got there!
    So far I have only set my physx to prefer card 2, but have not messed with CUDA yet, didn't even think of that before you said it! So thank you for the new idea :)

From my experience AFR1 is terrible (I got 15fps or so out of it), AFR2 seems to work "ok" but gives me a good bit more stuttering, which makes it unplayable for me, and the Nvidia SLI recommended seems to be the best so far.
    You could always try to force a SLI profile from another game through Nvidia Inspector (search google if you are not aware of it), I know this has helped me a lot in some games, but I have yet to try it in PS2.

I find it weird that you are locked at 50% usage with physx on, this does not happen to me, and it should not happen to anyone!
    But SOE is not exactly what you can call experts when it comes to utilizing performance of computers, and neither at testing patches (as you can see with every update either new gameplay or performance bugs come, or sometimes both).

So far, you seem to be on the right track to getting the best performance, keep on trucking!
  6. kamiccolo69

Well its good to know people are listening! lol I do a lot of performance tweaking with my comp and been repairing comps and stuff for like 10 years now. Always good to pass the knowledge on!

But my situation has updated! To see about getting way better performance with ps2.

I decided to go out and buy a bran new gtx 650 ti and enable it in my 3rd slot.
    My board is 3.0 and is capable of supporting a PhysX dedicated card in the 3rd slot.
    I have a 1200 watt power supply corsair so no problem with power.

I updated drivers to current and enabled sli with my 2x gtx 560 tis. Then dedicated (checked the box) the gtx 650 ti to PhysX processing.

Now at this moment I decided to open PS2. Menu amazing 120 hz! I just bought a bran new benq 120 hz gaming monitor today.
    Now in game I actually still got the 50% lockage for only 1 moment and 1 moment only atm. Which is at the warpgate when I log in. When it loads the PhysX its locks at 50% till I move. The PhysX card is working by the way! 100% about 60% gpu usage on the card and about 150 mbs usage too!
    The problem tho still occurs even tho the sli is doing nothing with PhysX.
    I get a random lock to 50% while at warp gate until I move out of the main area and away from the PhysX rendering. At the moment that im at the PhysX say a elevator, my gpu usage on both my gtx 560 tis are about 85 80% usage. While my PhysX card is at 60%.
    For some dumb reason PhysX is limiting my sli usage still! And so I drop massive frames and the PhysX glitches out a bit as well. And this only happens when PhysX is being used at all.
    Anywhere else 120 fps!!! even with the PhysX on but while im driving around there is no real usage on the PhysX card. It seems to be elevators faults lol.
    Anyone know if you can enable gpu PhysX and turn off the elevator graphics only?
    I get soooo much better performance otherwise guys! Like a massive amount of performance!
    If anyone can help me solve this problem with sli and PhysX is ps2 I would be soooo gratefull!

And by the way I installed hawken and the PhysX worked 2000% times better and I did not seem to get the hickups I am in planetside 2! I think I might submit a request form to like NVidia or planetsides 2 creators to get this fixed in sli. They might not even know about it because not many people use sli and the fact that PhysX and sli was just supported in the latest drivers.
    Might have to wait for a driver fix but this totally sucks so if you guys have any suggestions anything will be helpful!
    Thanks again guru's!