Galaxy Gunships

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Laraso, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Laraso

Why do I never see them? The Galaxy is extremely armored. You could fly through hell itself and come out with only a few minor scratches in the paint job. Putting dual bulldogs and dual walkers turns it into a flying fortress capable of handling itself in any situation. You can fly over a battle zone and drop off 7 passengers into it, and then continue to provide support with the powerful guns placed all over the Galaxy.

My question is, why does nobody use it? The only time I see them used is in large, bulky formations, to soak up damage and push through heavy AA. On very rare occasions, I'll see someone using it as a gunship, but even then they are only flying 2/12. It's such a waste of potential.

Is there something wrong with the Galaxy that I'm not seeing? Why are Liberators so common, and Galaxies so rare?
  2. Cougarbrit

Possibly because they're such massive targets.

Tanky yes but soon as some HAs or Tanks with decent aim get a bead on you you are royally ****** if you don't get out of there.
  3. Zenanii

Because resources do not matter and 5 esf or 2.5 liberators will do the same job ten times better. Not to mention a single liberator 2 or esf will munch a galaxy any time of the day. It's just not worth the manpower to operate a 5/5 galaxy.
    Its only saving grace is that it can ram liberators and esf with impunity, but sadly this only works against bad or oblivious pilots.

Off topic: Anyone else noticed the inverted food chain for air units where the smaller feed on the bigger?
    • Up x 1
  4. Selerox

It's a giant slow moving target. Also, you can really only effectively bring a single bulldog to bear on any one target. Which means it's less effective than a Liberator or ESF.

But then, SOE seems to like the fact that the Galaxy is less effective than... well... anything.
  5. Zaik

because it doesn't have a stupidly op weapon like the Zephyr or Dalton. Driver also have to cert four guns they'll never use instead of two.

Libs might as well already be immune to flak unless it's coming from 4+ sources, and has access to flares so lol lock ons.

I like battle galaxies quite a bit but it's no surprise why they wouldn't be as popular as rolling around with two hit kill huge aoe weapons with 6 round magazines.
  6. Laraso

The bulldog is exactly that, only the projectile is slower and the splash isn't as powerful.
  7. Zaik

it's three unless you can get a direct hit, but I'm pretty sure direct hits with the zephyr or dalton are OHK. Fire rate on the bulldog feels slower as well, though I don't have any numbers to back that up.

Splash on the Bulldog is also smaller than either of the lib belly guns
  8. baybal

Imho, the best way to use them is to put all walker or all g40s for turrets and attack ESFs. It's the only vehicle with no blind spot in terms of defense.
  9. KAHR-Alpha

The bulldogs don't work very well on vehicles, which means that you won't be able to destroy a sunderer before its owner forces you to retreat.
  10. Shasbot

It's actually best used as a 1 man battle ram. Otherwise libs and ESFs are a better choice. It really needs some new weapons or perks, because it hasn't got much of purpose right now.
    • Up x 1
  11. Skurcey

i have one and use it occasionaly, but liberator do more damage and is easier to handle.
    • Up x 1
  12. MuNrOe