Pros and Cons to the AV Turret

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Puppy, Mar 19, 2013.

1. RealRook

Stop spreading ******** please, sunderer doesnt take extra damage from the back/tires or whatever, I just tried it in the VR, it need 5 decimator rockets to kill it
  2. Naturaliensammler

Lower the ingame mouse speed. Increase your DPI. You get rid of most of the grid that way. You can easily hit tanks that way.

Oh right. The 2000x zoom of a tank really gives you the great edge over an AV.

Both are bollocks. Play the game and then come back.
  3. GSZenith

cons:
    being report for hacking after killing kids with pods 1km away.
    eye strain looking at 1 pixel for hours on end.

thats it.
  4. Naturaliensammler

Decreasing FOV is the poor man's zoom.
  5. GSZenith

haven't thought about that, gonna try it ty.
  6. DemoniWaari

I can't say from driver's perspective nor from AV engi's, but what I can say is that the hitbox on those turrets are HUGE. This makes it very hard for snipers to actually take the gunners out, and I think that's one of the main functions of a sniper. If people get annoyed by turrets (not just AV), maybe snipers should be as the main way of dealing with them. At least then they actually contribute to the "main battle" a bit more.

Though I do understad that from a driver's POV this isn't all too appealing solution.
    • Up x 1
  7. FateJH

What kind of support can you give against a weapon that can shoot beyond the render distance/appear like a speck to the target, if appear at all?

I'm not that cruel to other people.
  8. Solkanarmy

Here's a thought... an AV turret can oneshot another AV turret... I use it pretty often, but it's definitely not suited to all occasions - the range is great, but counterbalanced by zoom, meaning that moving targets can be hit, but they can also avoid being hit by moving on more than one axis in relation to the turret (so not just forward/back, or left/right, but a combination to throw off the range).

I agree that the projectiles should be more visible to enemies, but no rocket trails as the muzzle flash is huge and easily noticeable, on high settings, at least. Also, on high settings, I can usually see the projectile before it hits.

Also, if you're a tank against a single AV turret, you have 18 seconds plus travel time to hit a stationary target which can be spotted from as far away as it can shoot, and that's if the turret owner has max rank cooldown reduction (otherwise, 24 seconds plus travel time). If you cannot hit a stationary target in 18 seconds plus travel time (let's call it 20 seconds) - well then, you need to learn to use your rangefinder better :) As infiltrators have mentioned, the hitbox is quite large, but you can still be headshotted off the turret at range if the infil is good with timing. Most of my deaths are due to other AV turrets or to snipers.

If you believe that 20 seconds is a quick TTK, just go into the game, get into a combat situation, then do nothing for 20 seconds and time it. It's a LONG time.

In conclusion, it seems a lot of these things, apart from the projectile not drawing in the air, are skill-based. As a result, I wouldn't call it overpowered, just new :)
  9. TintaBux

+1

They op, to op.
  10. Drengin

I feel they may do too much damage, but they are so easy to kill that it balances out pretty well. Two approaches that could be worth trying though:
    1) Increased visibility - something like a flash of light or explosion to indicate where the rockets are being fired from
    2) Higher fire rate, lower damage for the same overall DPS. This way vehicles would have more time to react to incoming missile fire since there would be less damage all at once.
  11. Siro

I don't feel bad for tank zergs that all line up to bombard a tower. Infantry often don't get any chance to respond since they die so easily. Don't see the tank on a hill? dead infantry. I'm sorry tanks. Call a ESF. Most of my deaths in the AV turret are from ESFs that see the rocket trail and swoop in for a easy kill. Again I don't feel sorry at all for the tank drivers complaining since they are basically using their tanks from long range to kill infantry. Oh noes. now all of ONE class has a ability to be able to attack from the same range. Everyone uses tanks as a vehicle sniper platform. We all know if you run into a group of infantry you'll die. So now most tanks get on hills and *GASP* shoot from so far that the infantry usually don't know where it's coming from.

If I take the time you sneak out of the base run around and flank you to hit you from behind, then I earned your death. The AV turret takes about 5 hits to kill if it's hitting front armor. Plus you always know what direction damage is coming from. (unless getting hit by several sources) I've been body shot by snipers or wounded by tank shells that didn't kill me and I knew instantly at least what direction they were. I didn't know exactly where they were but at least I knew what side of a tree or rock I needed to get behind. Same happens when I drive my tank. If you are out solo, then you'll know what direction the AV turret is. and so what direction to turn to keep him from shooting rockets up your tail pipe or what direction to drive to get behind cover.

The AV turret is basically a sniper for vehicles. Except that the AV turret can't one hit kill you like the sniper can with a bolt action.
    2 Engies can out repair the AV turret as long as it's not hitting you in the rear. 1 can do it solo if the AV turret is really far away. It's new and the people that only want to play tanks don't like having to adjust their playstyle. Just like pilots didn't like buffs to AA, and infantry didn't like buffs to the anchored prowler. It's all just a circle of crying about what kills the thing you like to play most.
    • Up x 1
  12. Mythicrose12

I'm surprised at how fast the missile travels and it's power considering it has excellent range. Can't wait to see what the empire specific launchers will do as far as the tank vs infantry balance goes. AV turret complaints will likely take a back seat.
  13. Metaltoys

Hop on a AV turret and find out. I guess I kinda like the idea of armor needing infantry/air support to move forward.