MAX AA OP ?

Discussion in 'MAX' started by boogaa, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Emotitron

AA eats airplanes, just as airplanes eat tanks, and tanks eat infantry. My only issue at the moment is that AA doesn't have natural enemies in the same way as Air/Tanks/Infantry do.

When a tanks sees infantry, it goes 'mmmm, dinner'
    When a plane see a tank, it goes 'im gonna get me some of that'
    When a AA Max or Skyguard sees a plane, it goes 'Thump thump thump'
    When infantry/tanks see AA in the distance, they think 'too far away and hard to reach - someone else's problem'.

My main issue with AA (other than maybe its range seeming a tad excessive) is that its natural enemies don't really have any incentive to go after it. It usually ends up that aircraft have to take it out themselves (which is about as reasonable as expecting tanks to take out aircraft) or just leave the vicinity. Tools and incentives to infantry for going after nested AA don't exist, so the whole chain of big fish smaller fish kind of breaks down a bit.

Organized outfits will do something about AA so their planes can operate freely, but organized is a rarity in this game.
  2. c0r3

I think it's funny I just rolled out of a thread where I was told AA is UP, to now find an AA is OP thread.... Do you people even play this game???

I play both ESF and dual max burster. They are both fine. They can both kill each other if tactics are right. BALANCED!

Stop crying for nerfs and buffs every 5mins to stuff you obviously got killed by once and decided it was OP.
    • Up x 5
  3. tbot

the AA MAX is op because of several reasons:

1. better than stationary turrets and skyguard
    2. highly mobile and can drop pod every 5 minutes
    3. if not needed anymore just changes loadout
    4. if dead just gets resurrected

So explain to me why a MAX can use 2 small rifle like AA burster on his arms and still dish out more dmg more accurate than the skyguard (40mm rounds) or the AA turret?

Specially when a AA MAX can shoot protected out of the spawn room, out of buildings, drop on positions a vehicle will never reach.
  4. RealRook

Max AA is only "OP" against noob pilots so go figure
  5. Scorponok

i can slightly see why a NC would post it...due to i wonder sometimes who has the larger hit register reaver or liberator ^^ but its mostly NC i see talking about things being OP...but never their own faction of course ^^ but this one is in general but i feel AA maxes are right were they should be...
  6. tbot

Put your epeen back into your trousers.It's too small and irrelevant.
    • Up x 1
  7. Stordito

max AA is overkill imho.
    should be nerfed in favor of stationary and dedicated AA platforms like the skyguard.
    that's because you can pull a max everywhere, so logistics are screwed and one max can effectively defend a facility from a bomber or 2-3 esfs alone.
    if you couple that with an engineer or 2-3 AA maxes then you can see 3 people stopping a DESERVED air superiority over any area with no logistic supports and infinite lives.

AA should be limited in the form of availability, that's all.
    no spawn from sunderers (unless properly certed) no revives. no AA farming from behind the shields.
    no free change of loadout (must spend additional resources to do that).

aircrafts are limited in availability
    they can't be revived or deployed everywhere, can't hide behind spawnshields.
    aircrafts can't change loadout to adapt
  8. Stigler

Ahhh lol. Sounds like they just want air to run the skies, and able to hover and greedily get kills with nothing fighting back. Only greedy pilots die.

I have extended mags on both Bursters and its still close to 3 mags to down a flak certed liberator depending on the range, which if they are smart then the are at max range. The ESF pilot that dies is the one that hovers still trying to get his kill while you blast away him. Also the pilots that know how to use the terrain and the AA Turret blindspots do quite well.

Face it many pilots dont want to use the flak armor slot and would rather use it for something else and say nerf MAX AA instead. Now they want to nerf AA instead of getting some skill. ESF's are not easy mode.
    • Up x 2
  9. Stordito

because gunning AA takes skills.
    right.
  10. Vyss

It's almost impossible to 1v1 an ESF in an AA max unless they are idiotic. It takes both bursters the whole clip to take one from 100-0% and that's with all shots hitting (dumb ESF). Meanwhile the ESF can easily hit their **** button and hitting an evasive ESF at range with slow flak is impossible.

ESF should have a very hard time killing bursters since they are their hard counter. ESF are effective vs all targets with rocket pods, ridiculously so vs ground when equipped with rocket pods. Btw, turret AA is much nastier than a burster max and will shred ESFs far easier. They just happen to be stationary and extremely vulnerable to all types of fire. They should be in the middle of towers and not on the edges exposed to ground fire.
  11. Osskscosco

Dual bursters eat ESFs in seconds from close range and from medium-long range you can just dodge the rockets with their tiny splash radious.

Not to mention that it takes more than 1 full magazine of rockets to kill a MAX and pods have a quite long reload time.
    • Up x 1
  12. Vyss

Killing something in seconds is fairly slow in this game. The ESF has plenty of time to get away and repair, meanwhile the max is slowly losing armor that doesn't come back. You can always snipe with the main gun from far away, it takes longer but if there's only one max there is almost no risk since you can just dodge the flak and hit from different sides. If you really want to kill a max with air pull a tank buster lib (Imagine that, pulling the aircraft designed to kill ground units). Max dies in 1s while the lib takes 2-3 full clips. The counters should be simple. AA > ESF > Lib > Armor > AA
    Infantry can fit too many roles to be included and fit a neutral role (Can effectively AA,AI,AV and everything can fight back decently)
  13. Osskscosco

If you are around alone for the time it retreats, repairs and comes back then thats your own fault. Going alone with a dual burster max is just icing on the cake.
  14. PaperPlanes

I guess it's OP in that it really puts Phalanx turrets and Skyguards to shame.

When you compare Phalanx turrets to the roles they mimic, they are better the case of AV and AI. The AV turret fires faster and does more damage per hit than any MBT. The AI turret is like having two highly accurate LMGs with insane ROF, that thing shreds infantry (usefulness can be questioned because when met with groups of infantry, it's still pretty weak and also vehicles know it can't hurt them really, so they go weapons free on it without hesitation), but why is the AA Phalanx so bad compared to a MAX?

I can kinda see the logic in the Skyguard being a bit worse, since this is offset by mobility, a Skyguard can travel at 70+ KPH and has more survivability than a MAX. But the Phalanx turret is stationary and easy to kill, the turning speed is slow and it overheats. The AA Phalanx should really be the best form of flak given all the limitations.
  15. Quiiliitiila

The so called OP bursters are only Op because the AA Phalanx turrets are so laughably pathetic as to not be worth getting into. They have really low health and their heat builds up FAR to quickly and they have to stop to cool down enough to resume firing for any meaningful amount of time. Plus, there is no cover for engineers to repair the turret while it's being bombed. So there is often no one repairing them because it's a free kill for the libs and ESFs who lolpod and zepher around the minute they see and AA being repaired or fired.

If the AA Phalanx turrets were given much more HP, a heat build up time increase and some sort of cover for engineers to repair them, I can guarantee you guys will be complaining about them instead of the bursters.

And really? So what! We've got ONE thing that as MAX users we're good at (aside from NC AI) and that's AA. Even then, it you are a halfway decent pilot/gunner you can get away or kill the offending AA MAX.

I'f a fairly good AA MAX user and I get lolpodded and libbed to death all the time, good gunners and good pilots are just that: good. Here's a hint though: we can't see you when you start lolpodding, the smoke and light from the explosions pretty much blind us. If you were silly enough to let us see you coming, sure all we have to do is shoot where you were before we were blinded. Try moving as you lolpod, or lolpod us before we see you or as we are shooting another target. You'll start racking up the OP AA real soon.

-Quiiliitiila
  16. MaxDamage

I don't like this person and I agree with them.

Being a burster MAX, even with the points increased for reaver kills, is not very rewarding.
    If an ESF certs flak armour, then bursters have basically 0 chance of taking them to 1/4 health unless they're superbad, and thats with dedicated focused fire, making them vulnerable to tanks and such.

It's a role that requires a lot of patience to get your money's worth, while your buddies are off capping bases next door.

Whoever said no one pays attention to bursters except air is talking out of their ****.

WE ARE LOUD. People and tanks come from afar to end us.
    • Up x 4
  17. Quiiliitiila

I also forgot to say that Libs can effectivly move out of the Burster's range by climbing to the current ceiling and bombing from there. It'll take more skill to hit, but you'll be safe and bursters won't hit you.
  18. Frosty The Pyro

mostly because skyguard and the AA turret need to be buffed.

Though in my opinion the best balance would be in dps AA MAX>skyguard>AA turret, and in projectile velocity and spread to be the reverse with AA turret>skyguard>AA MAX. AA turrets being able to consitantly hit aircraft at render distance.

this is a lie.
    one Rockets have a splash radius of 5m (recently nerfed down from 6), inner radius is 3, IIRC, this is not tiny.
    Two every rocket pod except vanu has enouph splash damage in it to kill a max with nothing but the splash, and with direct hits the max will go down quickly to any pod.

If you want to kill em even faster you can learn to aim your nosegun, all of which have phenominal dps and will kill the max quite quickly. well okay LPPA and banshee dps arent exactly phenominal, but they do explosive dps so will still rip the max to peaces faster than it can return the favor, though if you sum their direct and splash damage (which I think they do) then they are pretty damn impressive still.
  19. X3Killjaeden

No it can't, the Liberator has plenty of time to find the max and force him to get back into cover or kill him if he doesn't do that. It requires a coordinated team however and that they don't freak out. Plus it can have flak armor. Anni users don't pay ressources for their missiles and are not as easily identifiable by the crew. Furthermore you can engage everything else as well pretty efficiently, infantry and tanks. No it's not OP.
    Skyguard requires good leading skill, that's what makes it "bad".
    Oh and i fly ESF more than i play Max... but that sure doesn't count, because i play max, right?

Tipp: nosegun. Max will be suprised how fast his HP will be gone. If you can aim that is.
  20. SGTWOLF68

talking about other sources like sundies, flak turrets, etc.