you did what to C4 ?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by makrome, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Hantak

Well, im a long time c4 user, and most of the times (usually 8 out of 10) i get to use my c4 (both bricks) before anyone was able to gun me down.
    Its a powerfull tool but it required time to be used properly, specially when learning how to sneak up on the more juiciy targets.

I do however feel that it is rather expensive and very situational in comparison to AV mines or AI mines. And its a lot more expensive, specially if you keep in mind you need 2 bricks(200 infantry points) to usually kill anything worth killing.

Detonating c4 after death was something that could go as planned or could end up on doing close to no damage, it was buggy so it wasnt something you could rely on.

I think c4 shouldnt despawn, as it happens with the current balance change, but i also feel you should add an option to deactivate it without setting the charge off. That option should be avaible to every character but specially engineers and light assaults, since if you get charges on the top of a sunder you will be unable to reach them in a normal scenario.
  2. Mythicrose12

One thing I've been pondering is the following : There have been far, far fewer complaints about C4 suicides than there are about vehicles being deconstructed (mostly air but ground can do it as well) and pilot suicides to deny people kill exp. Yet the devs address changing C4 to despawn upon death. Mind boggled.
    • Up x 1
  3. KukKung

The counter to a suicide la, is.. Wait for it... Protect your sundy and kill the la before he gets there, or place some ai mines around, or use emp grenade

You park your sundy on the outskirts of a base, and if player can run all the way across the battle field across all enemies spawning from the sundy and still place 2 c4, he deserves the reward of his hard work
    • Up x 1
  4. Rexsaw

The tricky thing about sundys versus light assault is that sundys get parked in places to keep them hidden, out or los of missles, etc. This often means behind a building or tower or amidst rocky mountainsides etc. Light assaults love this type of terrain.

Proximity mines wouldn't make a hug dif. I frequently stay in the air the entire time I'm dropping C4 and detonating it. It's just a catch 22 for sundy drivers when deciding where to deploy, generally it's either too out in the open for the heavies/engineers or its parked too close to something that gives the light assault the advantage.
  5. Czuuk

I like it. Very much. The whole light assault C4 suicide spam is bogus.
  6. SparrowTail

I reallly think that c4 shouldn't despawn on death. Reasons? here:

1. It costs 200+500 = 700 certs to get 2 c4 (2 c4 are required to blow up tanks) as compared to 2 tank mines which costs only 200.
    2. It costs 200 resources to buy 2 C4 as compared to 75+75 for tank mines
    3. 2 C4 cannot blow up 1 sundy which is full health.
    4. If you are able to sneak up on a tank that is sitting still or has 0 situational awareness, get killed by someone else after planting the c4, that tank should be punished for it, not the LA that managed to sneak up on it.
    5. It is the only resource hogging thing that disappears after death
    6. killing scatmaxes spawn-camping biolabs' teleport stations now becomes close to impossible.
    7.Also, if people rarely get kills AFTER dying in the first place, why the hell are they getting despawned? That's like rubbing salt on a wound.
    8. C4 still needs to be triggered by hand, unlike mines which trigger on proximity, which is in most cases a superior trigger system.

So the only thing with c4 is that it sticks.. really?

If you're nerfing things like this, please give the players the option to get a cert refund. Seriously.
    • Up x 2
  7. Sloddo

The thing I really hate about this change is that it's a huge overreaction to one single tactic - that of a suicide run on a sunderer. I was under the impression this entire game's premise is all about suicide runs. Never-ending war, soldier's that can't 'die'. Zerging/suiciding troops over and over IS the tactic of this game, is it not? (at least that's how it seems to me with the way SOE has positioned everything in this game - super fast paced, quick ttk's, etc).

As a few others have pointed out, this change didn't take into account ANY other tactic, defensive OR offensive. Someone mentioned using C4 to defend a cap point - you spend 200 resources to defend a point and get killed - poof, gone. Or how about using them like AT mines? you place them on a road somewhere with a nice choke point, and wait... you get killed by a sniper and - poof, gone. Or you use them to get that Max who keeps poking out of a spawn room, but you get killed before you can detonate it - poof, gone.

And then there's another slap in the face that I haven't seen mentioned yet - and that's the effect on LA's drifter jets. A common tactic (not just against sundy's) was to cert up on drifter jets, so that a LA could float their way above the enemy and rain down terror in the form of C4. While it doesn't stop this tactic, it still impacts it whether you were trying to get to a sundy or not.
    • Up x 1
  8. Cyanide

This is a good idea. Why should your C4 stick around if you were killed right after placing it? You're dead.
  9. StrikerKOJ

There are already people in this world today that are willing to sacrifice their lives in hopes of inflicting destruction to achieve some sort of goal; religious, moral, what have you. Imagine if these people had a technology that garunteed their conciousness would be placed into a brand new body, a seemingly unlimited amount of times, for an indeterminate period of time.

But somehow suicide runs have no place in this game...? SOE clearly has no intention of maintaining any sort of lore, or consistency with said lore. They thought up a name (somebody had to think of the idea to put the number 2 on the end of Planetside) and assigned some colors, that's about as much lore and setting as we need pay attention to, apparently.
  10. SilentWindOfDoom

This is a good change, being able to put an explosive on an enemy that cannot be removed or avoided once the user is dead is a terrible game mechanic. Putting players in a position where they have no idea whether or not they will explode in 20 seconds even though they killed the enemy light assault is again.. terrible design.

It's a difference of a few seconds between dying before you can detonate or successfully killing a highly valuable asset. Sure you will be less successful, with the benefit of players not having to deal with a vague, undefined uncertainty as to their state. (will i be dead soon or no?) With so many people going on about skill, i'd like to know how sticking persistent explosives on someone that they cannot get rid of (if they could find them) that you can detonate even after they manage to kill you is an expression of skill. Seems to me that with you being dead, you failed and should try again.
  11. LadyE

Change it to this mechanic please...

C4 will persist through DEATH, but the Detonator will not activate any C4 placed prior to a DEATH.

That means players can toss C4 around in the game and it stays in the game world, just like all mines. However, players cannot respawn after placing it and pull out the detonator in the spawn room and blow it up. A secondary explosion will be required to blow up C4 placed during a previous life.

Allow Engineers to use their tool to remove C4 and Mines as well.

Make it happen SOE.
  12. SilentWindOfDoom

What? That's a terrible idea. You expect people to scour every inch of their vehicle because someone may have dropped C4 on them that's going to blow IF or when another explosion hits it? That isn't going to happen, it's just too impractical and clunky. The whole problem is recieving a death even though the person responsible has already been killed by either yourself or someone in your vicinity, it's too random. If you die before you kill someone with your active, sticky weapon, you lose.
  13. makrome

I'm fine with that as long everything else despawns when you're dead.
    Why should your car stick around if you were killed right after placing it? You're dead.
  14. Fenrisk

C4 is too expensive to use in creative ways with the despawn on death. What if you want to C4 a generator or cap point or use it like mines/claymores but at the press of a button?

No longer worth the risk in resources lost. By having despawning C4 you reduce the options for C4 use elsewhere in the game. If you want C4 to not blow up tanks after death make it so enemy engineers can disarm it. That would of fixed the issue.
  15. Nerdplow

C4 shouldn't despawn but you shouldn't be able to blow it up with the detonator after respawning either. It should have to be detonated manually or ideally engineers should be able to disarm it with the repair gun.

If I manage to sneak by 40+ oblivious enemies and plant c4 on the sunderer then that is their own damn fault. Especially when I get to it and no one is even guarding it or paying attention. 2 c4s doesn't even kill a sunderer anymore anyway. The best I can hope for is for it to either be damaged before i blow the c4 or kill the engineers before they put out the fire.
  16. KukKung

Came back to this see what else was written, im still confused with everyone who agrees that once you die, that your C4 should despawn because your dead. for all those who agree can i ask why C4 and no other physical object placed or spawned in the game should not despawn when you die?

i see plenty of soldiers get out of their plane to cap a point and get killed or the driver of the sundy. whats the dif. between AT mine or claymores placed. What about C4 physically differs from your gun, vehicle, other mines left

- as for suicide runs, i do more with my engie with the default certs of 3x AV mines. and if i am a LA i always try to fly/run away same with the engie. most times i just get caught in the blast or gunned down after, not that im trying to die on purpose.
  17. Vintorez

Keep this change.
    But make other explosives disappear if the player moves/spawns more than two territories away.