Infiltrator and Wraith - Made for each other

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Umbraki, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Umbraki

Hello again Infiltrators,

There's already been some threads about the Wraith cloaking for the Flash but I wanted to share some of my combat stories and give some analysis on the cloaking - and give you a forum to share your stories too.

Basically, the Wraith cloaking is only usable if an infiltrator is using the Flash and the Wraith is equipped. I know that a lot of us were using the Flash to get in position and then the radar to spot for us while we did CQC or sniped. This new setup seems to work exceptionally well infiltrating behind enemy lines (finally!). The best example of how I've used it so far was when we were assaulting Quartz Ridge. There was a lot of fire coming from the left tower as I rolled up on my Flash and my friendly infantry weren't able to advance close enough to get in the gate. Didn't stop rolling but engaged my Wraith and (I was amazed, to be sure) blew through the door unscathed. Ditched the Flash and cloaked immediately, running up the stairs into the tower where the heaviest firing is coming from. Neither of the enemies even knew I was in there before they went down, they were still looking at my buddies out in the field. I have to say that I roll with the Flash equipped with Wraith almost non-stop now, it's just so much fun to disappear while I'm sprinting toward my target (and 20 seconds is a pretty hefty amount of cloak - and that's just level 1).

Another use that I've found with the Wraith - Sunderer hunting. If the guy in the Sundie is half-awake, he's going to slaughter you with the defensive weaponry on top. However, I've been able to catch two enemy Sundies rolling toward their deployment destination and put some grenade rounds from my Fury in his backside. Fired the magazine and cloaked to reload. Reload done, decloaked and put another magazine where I'd put the last one. Rinse and repeat, swerving a bit, and it was 500xp for me. So far, I've been very happy with the Wraith cloaking - especially since it's the only class-specific upgrade for any vehicle that I'm aware of.

Found any good uses for the Wraith or excellent combinations with particular weapons?
    • Up x 3
  2. Dr. Euthanasia

Given how it uses the same slot as the Turbo, I haven't even bought it. It could grant complete invisibility and I'd still take the Turbo over it, because it's really hard to beat temporarily gaining the power of flight. Just today I drove into what must have been four NC advancing up a rather steep trench leading into one of their isolated bases on Indar, and rather than trying to go invisible and/or getting shot to death, I just took a hard turn and powered straight up that wall like it was nothing. When I hit solid ground again, I was behind their spawn on the other side of that entire area. Nobody even bothered to go looking for me.

Sure, I often explode violently at the conclusion of these insane physics-defying jumps, but this is a video game, and if there's one thing I want my ATV to do, it's ramp off of 90 degree inclines like a jet engine on wheels.
    • Up x 1
  3. Umbraki

lol, fair enough Dr. Euthanasia. Who could argue with flight? All I'm saying is that, at a maximum duration of 40 seconds, the Wraith can really make infiltration possible over long distances and in the middle of a combat zone.
  4. Ztiller

I absolutely love the Wraith. I have probably spawned more flashes since i got it yesterday than in all my time combined previously. It is ridiculously fun, and amazingly useful :D
  5. Timeraider

Wraith cloak is yust awesome. Now that they removed dropping on the crown and crossroads (and dropping in general kinda).. i use wraithcloak to get easily into those bases without being seen.
    Aside from that it also gives hilarious moments when i use my M40 to for example just destroy an TR sunderer parked under an Vanu Crown .. i just stood behind a bush with my flash shooting and cloaked everytime i had to reload.. gave me a sunderer kill and about 7 infantery kills.. i couldnt stop laughing
    Downside.. when i drove away (my bullets were down to 0, had to get new) .. i hit a tiny rock and my Flash just.. exploded..

it is as if Flashes are combustable nowadays XD
  6. Ravenorth

Wraith does have it uses, but now players should have option for quiteter engine sounds, it would fit perfectly in the performance slot of flash.

No matter how many certs it takes, I want it.
  7. Skeith

it's a nice addition

imho we needed something else first

but for once i cant say that soe did a bad job

my only gripes is that there isnt a way to make the flash slighty less noisy
  8. Mustarde

I love my wraith. It has replaced the old "instant action" as a way for me to reach a tower behind enemy lines. Due to timers, I will alternate between parachute mossie drops, wraith ATV and good old-fashion cloak-running to reach the good spots. Well, that and squad beacons if I can get them up.

I have the 40 second cloak unlocked. And wow, it's awesome being able to drive that far. I also recommend mine guard because... well it's a flash! You'll get toasted otherwise!
  9. TheRaptorFence101

The speed it has coupled with cloak means I lose a cloaked Wraith about as fast as i spot it. It's my next cert target. In fact, I'm going to cert it now and try it out :)
  10. Bloodmyth

Hmmm, I was wondering if I should bother with it or not, but this post and the replies makes me think it's worth it, especially as with the new instant action setup it looks like i'll be using the Flash more than ever :)
  11. Ztiller

Does the Mineguard actually work on it? I swear 95% of my deaths on that thing is from ******* Tank mines, but i assumed that even at full upgrade it wouldn't survive a mine.
  12. Lucidius134

Dont you need flak to survive the blast yourself?
  13. Rhinzual

Yes, you need maxxed out mineguard and Flak 5 since the blast hits both your Flash and you. Infiltrators might not be able to survive due to 100 less shields.
  14. m44v

Is it me or the Wraith doesn't have any cloaking sounds?
  15. Umbraki

From what I've been able to tell, the Wraith has a minimal cloaking sound - you'll probably notice the hum of the engine first ;).

Also - don't forget that there's the VR Arena! Don't just take our word for it, test it out!
  16. pnkdth

Mainly used it to get to a good point of infiltration/moving between sniper nests and bases. Very satisfied so far. It isn't foolproof but at least now we can move around without a big fat sign saying "HELLO, I AM AN INFILTRATOR! SHOOT ME!" In other words, one step closer to me feeling like a proper infiltrator. I can now do something unique to my favourite class.
  17. Mustarde

I haven't done the math honestly... but I do have both maxed so I guess that explains why I survived...

cool! I just learned something :)
  18. Death Reaper

While the anti-vehicular capabilities of a Wraith flash M40'ing sunderers, flashes, and even lightnings are inarguably effective, I don't feel that it's necessarily the best way to get mileage out of the Wraith ability. At least in my experience, the flash's shotgun tends to be the most effective in terms of score/kills per minute; nothing quite compares to flying across the field with the speed performance upgrade and only decloaking long enough to blow past an infantry line from behind and rack up kills with only 1 to 2 shots per soldier from a full-auto shotgun before turning around to do it all over again.

It is definitely worth nothing, though, that if you are going to use the Wraith, you absolutely need Vehicle Stealth as well. Nothing defeats the point of a cloak more than your vehicle showing up on the map the moment you decloak regardless of whether or not you were spotted. While mines will be a pain, that can be alleviated by simply driving on the very edges of roads or avoiding roads altogether. Plus, at least as a Mattherson VS, there are hardly ever hostile tank mines placed in decent locations; I've lost roughly seven or so lives to them since launch, and only one of those was not from mines placed directly in front of vehicle spawn pads.
  19. PieBringer

To my experience, this is false. There's an audio glitch currently that makes it so you don't hear your own Wraith cloaking while in first person, but while in third person it makes the same exact sound as your on-foot cloak. However, I've only tested this with myself, additional testing with others may be required. If you can hear other players activating their Wraith when you're close enough, then it's a first person audio glitch for the driver. If not, then it's a third person glitch for the driver.

Either way, we still need something that at least partially muffles the engine noise, and NO, this would not be at all acceptable for the defense slot, since that should be needed for the stealth "armor". (It's not very useful when you immediately show up on radar after coming out of cloak. It's annoying enough the scout radar works that way against us when on foot.)

Against severely oblivious enemies, it's very effective, the same way normal cloaking is. However, against an enemy with actual hearing, they WILL notice you're nearby, and since you're almost always moving in a Flash- especially to make effective use of those precious cloaked seconds- you are more easily spotted- Which leads to another of my gripes.

The current mechanic of movement and cloak strength is not a bright idea at all for the Flash. It MAY work effectively in some situations on foot... If we had a longer duration. *cough* However, on the Flash, it's even more useless. If you're up against someone who you need to actually stop moving for that extra transparency in order to double back on them, chances are, they will track the noise with ease.
  20. Dr. Euthanasia

It's the speed at which the cloak drains which should be affected by your movement, not the visibility of the cloak. Moving already makes you more visible without the game making things even easier for your enemies.