Shotguns 200% more damage then any other weapon CQC weapon. Devs do you even care about balance?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Fenrisk, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Fenrisk

The shotgun situation is fast becoming a joke. NOTHING. No weapon matches them within 30 meters. Forget the 10m 1 shots. If you use a auto-shotty you spam it so fast u drop players with 2 or 3 shots from 30 meters easy and 200% faster then any other weapon. Not SMG's, Not LMG's. Nothing beats the shotgun. Why is every other weapon have close to the same DPS in their range but shoguns have 200% more DPS then SMG's or anything else?. SMG's have the same weaknesses as shottys although u can use a shotgun as a snipe shot with slugs.

Every CQC is ruled by shotguns. Be it shotgun maxes or autoshotguns or pumps. Their ROF is insane for the damage they do. Their DPS 200% more then any other weapon thats designed for CQC or mid range.

Don't come here saying if you miss the first shot you die. That just isn't true against any other weapon other then a shotgun. You can get the drop on a shotty user and be hitting him hard and then he wins in 1 button press. What kind of logic is beind 1 shot instant kills for body shots? Snipers can't do it, knives can't do it but i guess shotguns are special?

Devs do you want all infantry combat to be shotguns? As currently that's where this game is heading. Throw out all the other weapons that are sub par and not designed for 90% of infantry battles. Just let us choose between the pump action or the auto shotgun. A couple months from now thats all you will ever see anyway.

Developers. What is your idea of weapon balance?
    • Up x 6
  2. VKhaun

30m is a made up number. Go shoot a shotgun at 30m in VR... it takes anywhere from 3-7 to kill someone, and that's assuming they stand still so you can shoot the least accurate weapon in the game firing the slowest projectiles in the game.

The point isn't instant, it's position.

If a sniper rifle has you at sniper range, they headshot you and you are done. If a carbine catches a shotgun in an open field, the shotgun user is done. If a shotgun catches you sprinting up a stairwell on the inside track, you should have equal chance of ZERO. That means instagib.

I happen to be going back and forth between AR's and Shotguns since they were put in. I tend to win reliably on both sides. The shotgun people are not using them with cover, and the AR people are charging areas they can't see in sprint mode with their guns down, and talking the inside track on all corners instead of going wide and slicing the pie. I enjoy slaughtering the masses who are using what they consider 'OP P2Win Toys' with their pump shotguns by taking corners wide with my sights up and blowing them away from across the room, and I enjoy slaughtering the masses on the other side who blame my 'OP P2Win Toy' for their death when they walk into a tiny building with an LMG covered in anti-recoil attachments for ADS, and sprint right up to me.
    • Up x 19
  3. Slaidd

The same devs who think it should take 5 or 6 or 10 however many hits from a shoulder-fired missle launcher to kill a tank. :rolleyes:

They should just delete all infantry in this game as it's currently balanced anyway, because if you're infantry you're dead. Only question is what tank or esf driver is going to get your kill exp.
  4. Poacher

Quit whining and use a shotty in the areas you deem appropriate. Problem solved.
  5. Sen7ryGun84

30m with an auto shotgun lol. I would take a guy with an auto shotty at 30m with a pistol just to save carbine ammo rofl.

Where are you pulling these numbers OP? we're you the 4th man from pulp fiction?
    • Up x 11
  6. Robes

SHOTGUN do you know what shotguns do? DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT A SHOTGUN IS?

also, a big lol at 30m
  7. Vanu Superiority

I do agree they seem unbalanced in bio labs, but honestly, they're only effective in such situations. In a game like PS2, in like 90% of situations, I see shotguns as useless.
  8. Beartornado

I stopped reading at 30m.

Come back when you're willing to accurately describe the actual situation of the weapons (that being, they are far more balanced than you'd like to make it seem).
    • Up x 5
  9. Slaidd

I've found that since I've been using the PA Shotty the most, and with the proper tactics, it suits me very well in structures. And yes, you have to switch it out to something else if you think you're going to be fighting in more open areas, otherwise, you're just begging to get dead.
  10. Mxiter

MSW-R/Orion: 1787 DPS
    Anchor: 1670DPS
    Shotguns auto : 2190DPS

shorter TTK, ok but not 200% more DPS.

EDIT: pump shotguns : 2860 DPS
  11. Overgaard

Sounds about right, shotguns > rifles for close range. Rifles > shotguns for distance. What would you change?
    • Up x 1
  12. Sen7ryGun84

Things to consider:
    - What's the average TTK of a carbine/lmg/ar and how does that time compare to the time it takes to cycle 2 rounds through a pump if you miss the first time or don't ohk?

- what's the TTK of a shotgun at any range where 2 hits are required to kill the target? How does this TTK compare to another automatic weapon aimed at your face?

- At what range does the pump shotgun stop being an ohk without some awesome luck on the pellet spread? As soon as as Ur out of ohk range you're pretty much up ship creek if you run into anyone competent.

You'll probably find the weapons in game are actually quite balanced.
  13. Paltry Porridge

The thing is.. you can equip slugs on a shotgun and IF you can aim perfectly, it is just as deadly up to 30 and nearly comparable to an LMG up to 80. With a pump action you can still reliably kill a person in three shots at 80 m and beyond, two before that until 30 and then the usual one down to 0.

Of course you have to basically ADS, but the movement speed is .75, so it works.
  14. MadRon101

If I had a shotgun and someone was gunning for me from 30m I'd pull my pistol rather than fire the shotty.
  15. Xikuner

Odd, I still find the shotty **** in close range big battles. The FPS lag is too much to compensate for the bullet travel time.. AIM AND SPRAY some rifles is the only solution....
    • Up x 2
  16. Kuriby

Lolll.... @OP

So many things to say... but I'll let your crappy K/D ratio do all the talking.

I really hope DEVs don't take all these balancing threads seriously, cause this one is a joke.

TIP to OP, and other "shotguns are OP users"

Step 1) Exit PS2, seriously you need some classic FPS training

Step 2) Buy CS:GO or download Quake 3 Arena, or download Tribes Ascend, or UT clones

Step 3) Play 100+ Hours in whichever game

Step 4) Come back to PS2

Step 5) Realize you were a fool that needed more training in, "strafing, flanking, twitch, and tactics"

Enjoy! Thank me later
    • Up x 4
  17. CaligoIllioneus

Shotguns are fine because if someone engages you in medium range you're dead, or at least you have to flee and lose a lot of HP.

Also, SMGs are also very nice CQC weapons, so its not only shotguns.....oh, and the TR Mini Chaingun as well.
    • Up x 2
  18. prowler707

it sounds like people don't understand the idea behind this game. run and gun belongs with cod or ava. this is a tactics game, whatever it takes to let yourself live as long as possible and do as much damage as possible while taking over key territories and cutting off supplies. if this is too much of a concept for you to actually engage your brain then maybe you should go back to your old run and gun games
    • Up x 1
  19. Mustakrakish

I've been doing some testing of the various NC shotguns in VR and here's what I've found:

--The Mauler, Piston, Sweeper and Jackhammer, with or without slug ammunition, can only OHK if you get a headshot.
    --The only way you're getting a kill with a single pull of the trigger on a Jackhammer is to Burst Fire it and get all 3 shots to land.
    --The Claw (pump-action) can OHK at distances of ~10m or less.

I haven't tested the Claw with slugs yet, nor have I yet tested the VS/TR counterparts to these weapons.

If anyone is interested in comparing data, or possibly collaborating to make a "PS2 Encyclopaedia of Armaments" or something like that, send me a PM here on the forums.
  20. Chiggerbite

Here is a good rundown on the pump action shotguns Koolaid did:

I think the video gives a good visual representation on what a shotgun's capabilities are at different ranges. It helps to educate yourself before calling for a nerf. ;)

In my opinion.... the moral of the story is if you want to fight a CQC fight, use a CQC weapon. Shotguns have two primary uses: CQC and counter sniping (slugs)... and you have to choose one or the other. You can equate this to bolt action sniper rifles. Can bolt action sniper rifles be used in CQC? Yes... but not effectively. Shotguns are to CQC as sniper rifles are to long range.
    • Up x 2