[utility!] for all of you who alt-tab while waiting for resources

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheRealMetalstorm, Mar 15, 2013.

1. TheRealMetalstorm

As we all know, if you're tabbed out or deemed idle by the game, then resources don't get added to your pool when the timer hits zero.

Sometimes, it can be quite easy to miss the 5 minute tick if you're say doing something else.

So...... here's a little program I made for myself that gives me an unintrusive reminder to tab back ingame to grab my resources, and I've decided, why not share it? There're bound to be people out there who face the same problems as I do.

Once you start it running, you shouldn't ever have to reset the program until you next log in - it keeps cycling the 5min updates.
    Unfortunately, the PS2 devs made very elementary mistakes with their looping, so your resource interval is actually 4min 59 seconds, LOL. I don't mind...

Download link's here (RAR format, ~75kb) or here (EXE format, ~290kb)
    Important bit:
    No ads, No malware, does nothing BUT whatever is required to keep the time and update you.

You'll need .NET framework 3.5 (I think I compiled for that version, but you guys probably will have 4.0 by now anyway)
    Source is available, in case any of you want to modify it! Just PM me for the source code. It's barely one page, anyway, nothing beyond trivial UI coding.

enjoy your newfound worryfree resource collecting! :D

edit: Source available here
    Visual Basic .NET, Express 2010 sln file.
    Don't rip on me for using VB.NET, it's the quickest way to get something like this running without using crappy java UI...
    • Up x 1
  2. keyjam_za

thanks !

probably more helpful to us free gamers, another little tip which i do sometimes -
    the resource timers across the maps seemed to be staggered so you can collect on indar - spawn to amerish and collect, spawn to esamir and collect....rinse and repeat.

its mundane but worth it sometimes.
  3. TheRealMetalstorm

they aren't. the timer adds whatever is the current continent bonus to your current pool. keep to the better continents!
  4. Morpholine

Maybe it's just me and my play style, but I rarely find resources to be much of an issue at all, and certainly not worth afk-ing to build up.

And that's on a faction/server combo where globally we often were 17% in prime time.
    • Up x 1
  5. TheRealMetalstorm

I rarely AFK to gather resources, since my lifetime in an ESF (which is what I primarily do) greatly exceeds the time i need to regain those 200 resources.

However, sometimes you get unlucky a few times and you end up having to afk.

Decided that the need was there, so I wrote it, and since I believe in sharing, I put it here.
  6. Morpholine

I'm not knocking the thing, just commenting, really.

I'm very much not a one-role player though, so that probably explains why resources are so infrequently a problem for me.
  7. B0bzor

People actually run out of resources?

Or is this a specific problem for bad players or those aircraft/tank only people?
  8. Ravenorth

I´m out of infantry resources all the time, not because Im bad, but because I use alot mines(at and ap) and medkits.
  9. TheRealMetalstorm

It's not a problem, it's basically this:

I don't care too much for PS2's infantry combat because it feels too much like CoD with tiny recoils and tiny CoFs and the skill gap is too compressed.

I run AP tanks or rotary/fueltank ESFs. Look for me in your MBT/ESF, if you want to test me.
    I usually never run out of resources, but when you get into a few unlucky situations, you can run out.
    Why bother playing infantry when you can tab out to play CSGO/CSS?

Also, infantry resources - I need to refill those C4 bricks. Watching a movie? leave PS2 tabbed out, and it reminds me every 5min to collect resources 15sec before they're dumped into my bank.

Consistently max C4 and grenades this way.
    Not even afraid of any faction's MAX suits with the amount of C4 I can spam.
    AV grenades too.

This is a little community service I'm doing for anybody who ever AFKs to collect resources.
  10. Morpholine

Also, for those who are not aware of the fact: Earning xp in a territory also provides bonus amounts of that territory's resource. It is always more efficient to play the game, than to afk (of one is looking purely at resource gain rates).
    • Up x 1
  11. TheRealMetalstorm

Use of this program:
    You're done with PS2, or not in the mood for it.
    Feel like doing something else.
    Tab out of PS2, run this, do whatever you need to do.
    Free resources, during supposed "logged off" time.
    • Up x 1
  12. keyjam_za

i like to tank ALOT, so that's why i run out sometimes, im not a great player but that's besides the point.
    If you're constantly rushing to the front line with your tank, you're bound to find action , and your bound to get shot at.
    Sometimes you stay alive and do well, other times not..... and that's dependant on many factors
  13. TheRealMetalstorm

it's O.K. - they (morpholine and bobzor) are just acting normally w.r.t. standard net behaviour.
    don't feel upset if they sound like they're dissing your need for resources.
    "everyone on the internet believes that his/her opinions should also be the opinion of everyone else on the internet"

remember - if you don't think you need this program, don't bother explaining why you specifically don't need the program, unless of course you have features you can suggest, that you would like to see included. You not needing this doesn't mean nobody does ;)
  14. B0bzor

lol

I'm not saying that people who need more resources are bad, just that bad players who lose vehicles often OR people who run one type of vehicle could use it.

I'm not saying this thing you've made isn't useful, I was just questioning how many people would run into these issues often enough to need it. For those that could use it, excellent!

Something like this would also be very useful if resources were actually meaningful.

No need to get you panties in a twist ;)
  15. Lyrencropt

The main use as I see it is to fill up your resupply things (tank mines, c4, anti-infantry mines, etc). I constantly run out of these and it takes many thousands of infantry resources to fill them up.
  16. TheRealMetalstorm

never log out, instead afk and run this. my c4's and nades are constantly at 40/40
  17. Being@RT

Well. as long as this does not cause overcrowding of servers..
  18. TheRealMetalstorm

hah, overcrowding.
    hah.
    nice one ;)

i COULD make it automatically tab back into ps2 5seconds before time's up, and send hardware events to walk, shoot and jiggle a bit, so you could actually afk-farm them, but that'd be against the rules i think.

Who cares, as long as i dont release that version i'll be fine.
  19. Talizzar

You will burn up resources if you are dropping 4 av mines 2 ap mines and using C4 regularly.