GU04 Release Date?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by KodanBlack, Mar 9, 2013.

1. KodanBlack

January's update came in the first week of February. February's update was supposed to be released in the first week of March, but it looks like that's not happening.

I'd like to make a suggestion to the SOE PS2 project: please be more conservative with your release dates. Promising something at the end of a given month, only to see it come out when the next month is almost half way through is not a way to keep people interested in what is coming out. People will begin to have a, "yeah, whatever" attitude toward new content, thinking we won't see that for another two or three weeks.

I look forward to new content and optimization for this fantastic game, and get sort of disgruntled when the release dates come and go and... Nothing. It's especially annoying when those items that people were looking forward to in the Roadmap are put into the "archives" week(s) before they are released.
  2. Renegade

You have to realize that when problems appear it takes time and programming something this big as Planetside 2 can have a lot of problems.
    But they could give us more info why it's taking so long and if they can tell us when they think it will be finished.
    I just don't get why they cant fix the major problems first asap and then work on other stuff. Like prowlers ... killing everything. It's been over a month and tr are so farmed with infantry kills that it's insane.
  3. Wasdie

The Roadmap is not meant to be a precise release date for updates. It's what the dev is working on during that month. It's here to give us a rough idea of what's coming and for us to vote on what we believe should take priority. Actual dates aren't set in stone at all and they can push back things, cancel things, and completely change things as they see fit.

Until they make a post and official announcement about an actual release date for an update, everything is just a ballpark estimate.
  4. Eclipson

I pretty much already have a "yeah, whatever" attitude. I'm sure many do by now. I think it better to just play the game, and when an update comes out, be happy about it.
  5. Kaon1311

Damned if you release a buggy patch when stated, damned if its late to get it right. Glad i dont work in the games industry.
  6. Sliced

SoE have already said that the release dates set are best estimates but are not the official release dates.
    This means they can release it a 2 weeks before or even 2 months after the date set.

Are you in some kind of rush to get the next update?
  7. Scratch1Tango

Not trying to be a dick, Sony, but whats up? Why would you announce both rough and specific schedules and fail to adhere to them in every single case? I feel like your business model is dedicated to disappointing rational adults who are very patient and open minded about updates.

Pretend I typed 10 more paragraphs of insightful critique about the wonky business practices of Sony because nobody would read the rest.
    • Up x 1
  8. EFREM

this year....
  9. Scientiarum

I'd just be happy with an official forum post update on how things are going, like: we had a problem with such and such feature, will probably be pushed back a week, etc. I think most of us are aware of how big a challenge some of these updates can be for programmers etc. and would understand if they told us about it, we'd just feel more informed? I agree though, more conservative estimates of release dates in the first place would be nice. The official word is a game update every other week and that seems pretty unreasonable so why say that to begin with?

Sometimes it can feel like game developers just don't care and aren't working on the game or something when they let release dates come and go without acknowledging they are at least still working on it. There will be some players that leave games because of things like that, I have in the past (none of these games were as good as planetside 2 though). Also an officially updated, pinned thread of major known bugs/issues would be nice to have so players know that SOE is aware of major bugs and they are listed categorically all on one place. If such a "Known issues" thread already exists someone let me know because I can't find ito_O.