120 Hz monitor but FPS is capped to 60

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by awilki01, Mar 2, 2013.

1. awilki01

Let me preface this by saying that I am not here to debate 60 Hz vs 120 Hz monitors and whether or not I can tell a difference - that always seems to come up. I can indeed tell a huge difference and the game play (to me personally) is SO much smoother. With that out of the way, I'm having an issue with PlanetSide 2. I'm getting a little over 80 FPS (non combat areas) reported by FRAPS, but I'm getting screen tearing. When I enable vertical sync, the FPS locks in at 60 FPS. If PlanetSide 2 supported 120 Hz monitors, the FPS would not lock at 60 FPS when vert sync is locked - it would max out at 120.

Given that I am seeing screen tearing at 80+ FPS on my 120Hz monitor and that when vertical sync enabled locks it at 60 FPS, I think the engine is capping it out at 60.

Does anyone know anyway to increase the FPS cap? I've become so use to the smooth game play of utilizing 120Hz and greater than 60FPS on my PC. It's really a shame I can't get the same smooth game play from this game. To reiterate, let us please not debate my subjective experiences here.

Below is my UserOptions.ini file settings - the pertinent part:

[Display]
    FullscreenRefresh=0
    Maximized=0
    FullscreenWidth=1920
    FullscreenHeight=1080
    WindowedWidth=1904
    WindowedHeight=1000
    RenderQuality=1.000000
    Mode=Fullscreen
    FullscreenMode=Fullscreen

[Rendering]
    GraphicsQuality=3
    TextureQuality=1
    ShadowQuality=3
    RenderDistance=6000.000000
    Gamma=0.000000
    MaximumFPS=250
    UseLod0a=0
    VSync=0
    OverallQuality=-1
    LightingQuality=2
    FogShadowsEnable=1
    EffectsQuality=3
    TerrainQuality=3
    FloraQuality=3
    ModelQuality=3
    ParticleLOD=2
    MotionBlur=0
    AO=1
    • Up x 1
  2. Wai_Lee

If you have 120hz and vsync enabled and your fps dips below 120fps, because of vsync it dips to 60fps. If the monitor was 60hz and the fps would dip below 60fps, it would dip to 30fps.

I'm not an expert, but that's how vsync works, I think. Someone who knows better can correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: Basically, for vsync to not lower your framerates, your GPU must produce more frames than your screen can show (in this case 120).
    • Up x 1
  3. awilki01

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. At 120 Hz with vsync enabled, the max FPS should be 120. With VSync enabled on a 60 Hz monitor, 60 FPS would be max.

Keep in mind I only tested with Vsync enabled to see what the FPS cap was - 60 in this case. I don't ever intend to play with Vsync enabled - it tends to make things more sluggish IMO.

Edit (response to your edit): Vsync doesn't 'lower' your FPS. It caps it at either the monitor's refresh rate or the max of what the game engine is producing. The game engine is the issue here - not the monitor in this case. The monitor is reporting 120 Hz. As an example, if I go to other games and enable Vsync, it simply caps it at 120 because it recognizes and accepts the 120 Hz display. In one game, I had to exclusively select 120 Hz for it to work right.

Edit2: Odd! I went out to the middle of nowhere and was getting 115 FPS with VSync off. When I enabled VSync again to check, it capped it at 80. Something awry is going on here.
  4. Wai_Lee

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_9.html

Please read the FPS & VSync paragraph, and you will perhaps better understand what I'm trying to explain. :)

Since you're saying that most of the time you're getting 80+ fps with VSync off, not 120+ fps, that's why it dips the fps down to 60fps with Vsync on. If your fps was constantly 120+ with VSync off, it would also be 120 with VSync on.

Edit: One thing you could try to do is to enable Triple Buffering in your Nvidia/AMD control panel. But this might cause some weird additional issues.
    • Up x 1
  5. Shasbot

Wai is right. Disable Vsync if you want better frames. Although it's doubtful that the human can tell the difference at those numbers
  6. Hydragarium

Disable Vsync entirely - You have the MaximumFPS line which is far superior to what Vsync offers (and limits)

But as Wai_Lee mentioned, Vsync will either cap you at 60 or 120 depending on how many frames you're getting. Drip below 120 and you'll be put down to 60.

The human eye can tell black/white shifts at "framerates" (a misnomer) far higher than anything monitors can achieve today. The age old "human eyes can only see 24, or 30, or 60, or ... and so on" arguments are obsolete (they were never valid in the first place really).

TLDR: Your eyes can tell the difference - you however may not perceive it consciously.
  7. Hydragarium

8. Dragam

What Wai_lee said.

If you want to use a v-sync to prevent your computer from going above 120 fps (unlikely as that may be in this game... lol) just use adaptive v-sync - it doesnt present the same issues as traditional v-sync does.
  9. Shasbot

I said the human. I don't think a human can tell. Just like they can't tell the difference between many things digitally related, i.e. FLAC vs OGG. A lot of people go the lengths of getting the best possible X when it's really not making a difference to what they perceive other than providing a placebo effect.
  10. Hydragarium

Okay now you're just spouting nonsense - you can clearly tell the difference between OGG/MP3 at high bitrates and completely LOSSLESS formats such as FLAC. We're not talking placebo effects (in sound or video) - we're talking small differences that have a noticeable effect.
  11. Wai_Lee

awilki01, you also said you were getting tearing at 80+fps even though you have a 120hz monitor. I understand this might be confusing. Well basically, tearing can also occur while under the refresh rate of your monitor, your GPU only has to work faster than your monitor for a split second and you might see tearing.
  12. awilki01

Wai_Lee, I read the article you linked to, and I see the paragraph that might explain this:

VSync aside, the subjective quality of this game when rendering FPS greater than 60 (VSync off) is nowhere near as smooth as other games are on my 120Hz monitor. There is definitely something going on here, but it will be hard to debate since it is subjective. I don't have the proper analysis tools available to me for hard fast numbers. All I have is what FRAPS is reporting.

I also find it odd now that FRAPS is indicating 80 FPS cap in some areas with VSync enabled. This can become a very complex subject. We are only scratching the surface. Their may be some optimizations that are still yet to happen e.g. frame buffering, etc. that will make my subjective experiences better.
  13. awilki01

Someone didn't read the OP :) Why do those that can't tell a difference think that others cannot? Ego comes to mind o_O

I can MOST definitely tell the difference between 60 FPS and 120 FPS on my monitor. After 90 or so, I do admit I start having issues telling the difference. I've always been sensitive to it - for as long as I can remember.

I completely agree that some cannot tell the difference. I remember in the office back when CRTs were still prevalent, people would let their refresh rates default to 60Hz. The flicker I saw drove me nuts - especially when seeing it in my peripheral vision. I asked many how they could stand it and they honestly had no clue what I was talking about - they simply could not see it. I had to increase my refresh rate to 85Hz or greater before I could stop seeing the flicker.

To be sensitive to it is quite expensive. That is why I want the best video card and highest refresh rate. When I got my 120 Hz monitor, I was in awe! I simply cannot play on a 60Hz monitor anymore.
  14. RankWinner

I would argue against what you're saying, as I've done to quite a few people, however it's pointless so here you go instead:

Basically yes, you can tell the difference, if you are used to your system/rig.
  15. Gary

Locking at 120fps seems like a bad idea =/ How often can your PC maintain 120 FPS.
  16. Wai_Lee

Well, purely for experimental purposes, you could go ahead and change the FullscreenRefresh=0 to FullscreenRefresh=120 in the useroptions.ini (remember to also set the useroptions.ini to read-only, and also to run the game in fullscreen). I have no idea if this will affect anything at all, but it's worth a try.
  17. jamesr20

Excuse me but do you actually intend to get more than 50fps in battle?
  18. Exigo

Short and sweet. If your computer is not capable of producing 120+ FPS in PS2 you will never get VSYNC to cap to 120Hz EVER..

I have set up my rig to run with adaptive VSYNC and im capped at 60Hz because my monitor is 60Hz, if I had a 120Hz monitor and wanted to run VSYNC on capped at 120Hz I would need to set up my game to produce 120+ FPS or buy myself a more powerful computer
  19. Sobieski14

I personally play at 50 - 70 FPS in the major battles on Mattherson.
    * Much depends on his overall system than anything.

To keep 120hz at a constant cap...
    * I7-3970x at 5.0ghz+
    * With two GTX Titan in SLI.

That might get you a constant 120 FPS.
    * I'd guess it would be around 80 - 100 FPS in the majority of massive battles.

Btw, I also play on a 120hz montior.
    * You can easily tell the difference between, a 60hz monitor and one that is 120hz.
  20. awilki01

Yes. I'm getting above 60 in a battle @ 1920 x 1080. I have an AMD/ATI 7970 and a i5 3550k overclocked to 4.4Ghz. I'm about to add another 7970 in crossfire this week.